Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Adding Loot Track to LotW Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre MG
msg tools
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I'm a Descent addict (own everything 2e and some 1e) and am currently the OL for a group of 4 ex-RPGers.

They actually really like the game but two things seem to still bother them: lack of fog of war (which they understood would not work with the official quests) and the lack of monster loot (searching just doesn't have the same feel).

We're going to start playing LotW as a mini-campaign and I was considering adding the Loot Track mechanics from the official co-op (but still maintain the search tokens). What do you think about the unbalances it creates and how would you go about correcting them (remove the shopping on campaign phase, grant threat tokens to the OL, etc)?

Thanks for any suggestion and help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Kopet
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would very much unbalance the game if you simply added that- in favor of the heroes. Might be doable if you took out the shopping step and maybe added an item limit to what each person could hold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre MG
msg tools
Thanks for your reply.

Here are some ideas I was considering:
- Only master monsters you kill add to the loot track.
- Only by destroying whole monster groups can you raise the "more Item cards" track.
- Whenever a hero dies he drops all his loot - to pick it up you have to spend an action.
- and as you sugested - no more shopping step (no more gold, the only way to get gear is via search tokens and killing monsters).

Too harsh or still not enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Tibaldi
Italy
San Donato Milanese
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Can you clarify me which is the imbalance?

Maybe I am missing something. I was thinking of adding the loot mechanics to just draw more items during the shopping phase and I don't see a lot of unbalancing (also because the items decks are growing).

Thank you. Carlo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre MG
msg tools
Hello again,

The loot track mechanics give an influx of items (from a deck that isn't even available during encounters, and is filled with powerful gear ) without the limitation of having to pay for them (or even, potentially, the drawback of losing actions to get them).

It makes sense with the way quests are built in the co-op version but imagine playing a couple of regular quests in, for instance, Shadow rune, and add up how many game-changing extra items the Heroes may receive in comparison with what they receive regularly.
The game wasn't built taking these many items into consideration so some changes have to be made in order to balance it out.

Carlo - In terms of balance, it seems your variant of simply adding more items to choose diminishes it's "normal application" unbalance, still the heroes may get more/better stuff (and the overlord doesn't). Also some overlord cards (I don't remember if lieutenant's or other) mess with the number of items during shopping, and that has a "game cost"- take that into consideration.

Some of the ideas I gave for discussion - and I was trying to use it during the encounter - might be a little too raw. So I was hoping that some of the more experienced (and creative) players would give some suggestions.

Also, unfortunately I haven't had the time to pick up the game and test some ideas. Yet as I'll be having a new play session in about a month I'll let you know how I end up doing it (or not).

Anyway I welcome any ideas anyone might have about ways to implement "monster loot" - even if not including the loot track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.