Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m in the process of creating cards and testing out my first idea [http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1157617/this-would-be-cool/p...], and another one occurred to me (this happens far too often, and I just about have to at least outline them in some format in order for them to get out of my head and let me focus on other things, like real life):

Several games out there have a “the king/CEO/don/quarterback is dead, and several people are vying for the vacated spot” theme, and I wondered, what if the vying was happening, but the seat wasn’t vacant? The ruler’s there, but you’re not trying to curry favor and become their go-to person (another popular theme), you’re trying to knock them off. This, also, could be cool.

This led me to think about a setting. I dismissed medieval, either fantastical or real versions, because I personally am tired of it. Zombies don’t really have a leader, and steampunk would be too zeppelin-y. Then the perfect setting popped into my head: feudal Japan. They were trying to knock the Shogun off all the time there.

So, you’ve got a handful of daimyo and one player as the shogun himself. The ultimate goal is to conquer Kyoto and hold it for a turn or so, but you’ve got to watch out for your fellow warlords, too. And the shogun’s in the middle, not strong enough to survive on his own and needing to play the daimyo against each other to ensure nobody gets powerful enough to knock him off. Probably needs to be a set number of turns, after which the shogun player wins if he’s still in Kyoto.

I’m picturing some minor civ-like things, like harvesting, taxing, and raising troops, and I think the key will be a loyalty rating. To motivate your men to march on Kyoto, your province’s Daimyo Loyalty has to be greater than its Shogun Loyalty. So daimyo are constantly working to improve their image and knock down the shogun’s, and vice versa. And daimyo can affect the various loyalties of their rivals, too.

That’s my starting point. Any suggestions, geekverse? Or links to games that have already done this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
You have brilliant ideas! Please, please make this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
look no further than In the Shadow of the Emperor for an abstractness of the idea, not in Japan, not killing the leader, but knocking him out of office...or making his next in line die earlier than expected. All why enjoying a area control game on the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Now to see if my execution of them is equally brilliant, hehe.

I've been trying to think of what actions the shogun could take, and how the daimyos' acceptance or refusal of his edicts would change their game.

He could demand a tribute, so after they collect taxes, one of them would have to give some coin to Kyoto, reducing the amount available for raising troops. He could demand an army to help guard his royal presence, similar to the real-life demanding of hostage family members. I really like the idea of using his influence in a battle, even one the shogun's forces aren't necessarily a part of, to "send home" troops from one side or the other. And he could declare a daimyo an "enemy of the state", possibly offering a reward to the daimyo who invaded the offender.

The question I'm running into is what's the penalty for refusing the shogun's demands? Possibly a reduction in Shogun Loyalty, but that'd actually be a benefit to the daimyo. Maybe a Daimyo Loyalty reduction, but I'm not sure if that makes thematic sense. Perhaps there's a third option out there somewhere.

All of these actions would be done to weaken a daimyo or strengthen the shogun (or both), but I don't want them to be automatic, like the shogun can just take money or troops, so I'm trying to figure out how the penalty for non-compliance is at least on par with giving in and agreeing to the shogun's demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
look no further than In the Shadow of the Emperor for an abstractness of the idea, not in Japan, not killing the leader, but knocking him out of office...or making his next in line die earlier than expected. All why enjoying a area control game on the side.

Thanks, I'll check that out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:

Checked out In the Shadow of the Emperor, and there are a lot of good ideas there I may make use of.

Some things it does that fit what I'm trying to do:
Lots of plotting and intrigue. In fact, possibly more than I was even going for, but it'd be fun if I could incorporate some of those ideas. I also like how it combines mechanics, like the actions being blue or pink cards, and the majority of them determines whether your family gains a boy or girl the next turn. I also like the aging mechanic, but I'm not sure if I can use it in this game.

Some things that don't quite fit:
The Emperor seems to be more of a component of your winning strategy instead of the overall goal, and I'm aiming for the overall goal of becoming shogun. Also, several players can have characters become Emperor in the same game, instead of one player being the Emperor from beginning to end. And there's not enough direct action for me. Getting the doctor to hasten other nobles' demise is a cool mechanic, but I'm aiming for outright aggression with this idea.

Still, a great suggestion to check out. Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! and all of it's variants and descendants use this theme.

I even have my own version
Duel for an Empire! (WIP- Hidden Roles)

And if I understand L5R right, the entire storyline is just one Emperor takeover to another.

Legend of the Five Rings

edit...

In terms of having players taking turns being Emperor, we used to play a game we called "Social Order". Mr. Garfield took that game, put a twist on it, and called it

The Great Dalmuti

edit2 ... I should add that I make mention of these games to further inspire you, not to discourage you from exploring the concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is also

Honor of the Samurai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero discouragement, 100% inspiration. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll check all of those out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can also borrow some ideas from Down with the King...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.