9 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Species 8472 Reinforcements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
This might be committing some kind of heresy posting this on this forum, but I am not as familiar with the Voyager series as I am with The Next Generation and The Original Series. Having said that, I am wondering if there will be any other Species 8472 ships that will be released? Were there other BioShip classes in the series or other crew and abilities that the BioShip Alpha didn't cover? I don't see any new prize ships for these guys in The Collective OP events either.

From the limited amount I have seen, they all seem to be the same class and what does that mean for their future in Attack Wing? In the "Scorpion" episodes a single BioShip chased down a Borg Cube and the Cube sacrificed itself to destroy the BioShip, so maybe we will see an Interceptor ship or something like that. As it stands now, I don't think a Borg Cube is going to be running scared from my Alpha Pilot. Please post your thoughts, things you would like to see or cold hard facts about the future of Species 8472. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Zilla
msg tools
The game uses the sculpts off of the Star Trek Tactics Heroclix line. That line has a Bioship Beta as another Species 8472 ship, so we may see that in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At minimum I would expect to see another ship, probably with the same sculpt...but with new upgrades.

There was an episode where the species shape-shifted and appeared as humans...hope that doesn't result in more ganker cards. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as expansion sets go, there doesn't appear to be any more bioships coming in the near future:

(June 4th) Wave 5 Ships: see http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/STAW-Wave-5-Q...
Tactical Cube Borg
Interceptor Five Bajoran
D’Kyr Vulcan

(July 11th) Wave 6 Ships: see http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/STAW-Wave-6-Q...
Soong (Borg)
U.S.S. Enterprise (Federation)
Battle Cruiser (Dominion)

(August 6th) Wave 7 Ships: see http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/STAW-Wave-7-Q...
Scout Cube (Borg)
Enterprise (Federation)
Ni’Var (Vulcan)

(September 3rd) Wave 8 ships: see http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/STAW-Wave-8-Q...
Queen Vessel Prime (Borg)
U.S.S. Enterprise-E (Federation)
Val Jean (Independent)

(October 1st) Wave 9 ships: see http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/STAW-Wave-9-Q...
USS Defiant: Mirror Universe version (Federation)
Chang’s Bird of Prey (Klingon)
Scimitar (Romulan)

As for the Collective OP, None of the prize ships are Bioships - but perhaps (likely?) we will see some bioships in the blind bricks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al
msg tools
I'd guess it depends on what Wizkids actually has the license to produce. If they are allowed to make up their own ship designs, then we could see some new 8472 ships. Otherwise they are pretty limited in the designs. I could be wrong, but as far as i know only one class of bioship has appeared in the tv series so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
msg tools
Remember that there are several blind packs (15 ships by my count - five per month) coming during the Collective OP. There's a good chance that one will be a Bioship Beta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, bro! Just got your two Bioships and already so thirsty for more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibor Corbett
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
headache62 wrote:
Remember that there are several blind packs (15 ships by my count - five per month) coming during the Collective OP. There's a good chance that one will be a Bioship Beta.

I think that is what everyone is hoping for.

That said, inofrmation available so far would seem to suggest that:

A) There will only be 5 ships. Each of the 3 brick events will use the same contents.
B) The brick ships will be support vessels aimed around 30pts each, including captains and upgrades.

The most likely slot for Bioship Beta will be as a prize for winning brick events. The Vidiian ship will likely also occupy one of those slots. (Anyone care to guess the third and grand prizes?)

Having higher quality of prizes at the brick events makes sense to me... it is a risky new format (personally I'm very much looking forward to it), and Wizkids are doing their part to encourage consistent attendance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a strong opinion among the crowd I play with based on previous experience with WizKids products, that the three tournament bricks will all be identical, despite having different stock numbers. So it's likely to be one brick used three times, not three bricks used once, and thus only five new ships, not fifteen.

Further speculation on the contents of those bricks (which may be much less reliable) is one brand new ship (probably the Vidiian seen at GAMA), and one new named ship of previously-seen classes for the original four factions. The thinking is those ships should mostly be in the 20-24 point range to give room for an upgrade or two in the 30 point random draft allotment portion of the new OP format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.