Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

A friend and I are going to be doing demos of Star Trek at a con this summer! Sweet! So, we've put together a few ideas about how to do this and have come up with a few ideas.

First, look at what this person did for an epic x-wing match:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14198144#14198144

Our idea is going to be to build 40 point TNG+ era ships, or 30 point TOS era ships to create as the x-wing person did. Single piece of paper with everything but the movement templates/dial and ships/planet/asteroids/etc. These are going to be single ships that are thematically correct, and not necessarily complicated or OP (I probably won't use Picard or Dukat). I say around 40 points for TNG stuff, and around 30 points for TOS era stuff. I'd like the demo games to be short. People will either be playing each other, or random 3 and 4 person games. I'd like our role to just be to help out, but I'm sure I'll get in a few games. People will choose the ships they want to play as a demo.

I'm going to be doing the graphic work to get everything looking and working properly on the sheet of paper. Hull and shields will be able to be crossed off the sheet. I'm going to create the sheets so that a cloaking ship can fold over an edge of the paper and the disabled shields will show. Tokens and discard effects can be ripped from the single sheet of paper (EG: Uhura) to indicate use.

Rules on ships:
30 point TOS or 40 point TNG+ ships (if you go a point or two over for thematic but non overpowered reasons that's fine)
No hull/shield regeneration cards - cloaking is okay
5 cards max
All ships must be pure to the faction and pack they came in

Here's a couple examples:

U.S.S Enterprise (22)
Christopher Pike (4)
Hikaru Sulu (2)
Nyota Uhuru (2)
Ship SP: 30

Borg Sphere (38)
Drone (0)

I already have 10 or so ships built that will probably do the trick. I'm just curious... what ship would you build as a demo following the above rules on ships? Or as a thematic build, what ship would you have liked to see as a demo before you started playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to demo the game you need to show potential players what they are familiar with.

So you want to show off a classic (and one of the best episodes) you want this:

U.S.S Enterprise (22)
James T. Kirk (6)
Cochrane Deceleration Maneuver (3)
Corbomite Maneuver (3)
Montgomery Scott (5)
Mr. Spock (5)
Hikaru Sulu (3)
Photon Torpedoes (3)
Ship SP: 50

(They know Kirk is the captain. They know Sulu, Spock and Scotty. Show them.)

VS. This:

IRW Gal Gath'Thong (18)
Romulan Commander (5)
Double Back (5)
Decoy (4)
Romulan Officer (5)
Centurion (4)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Nuclear Warhead (3)
Ship SP: 47

(They will know the TOS Romulan Warbird. The cool thing is they may not know the ship name and the romulan cards are generically names since we never learn their proper names.)

This is an EPIC fight between the 2 ships.
It allows you to show off ships, captains, how elite talents can impact the game, weapons, and how various crew also serve a function on the ship.

Same thing with the TNG ships. Picard IS the captain of the Enterprise D. (And yes, crew it with Data, Laforge and Worf even though they are slightly less useful they ARE Iconic.)

Edit:
You may also want to show off the kobayashi maru scenario on another table too. Great way to show off that the game ALSO has scenarios other than death match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roberson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I'm not understanding your thinking. Why wouldn't you use something iconic and big like picard on the enterprise-D? You'll note in the game's quickstart guide that they used that, but because he's overpowered and they didn't expect early players to understand cloaking, they gave the Klingon "tutorial build" more points.

If you're pre-building the ships, why do the points matter? It should matter that players feel like what they're doing is awesome, IE Picard saying Engage to outmaneuver Gowron. So if I were you I'd put together some overtly simple but highly canonical ships, focusing on two or three canonical cards per ship that work particularly well together. And stay away from anything that has even a chance of not getting used, like starter Worf and O'Brien. Both good, but require you to know WHY they're good first.

Enterprise-D
Picard
Geordi
Engage
Photon Torpedoes

Koraga
Worf
Alexander (though maybe N'Garen for simplicity)
Photon Torpedoes

Voyager
Janeway
Photon Torpedoes
Tuvok

Koranak
Gul Dukat
Boheeka
Dorsal Weapons Array or Tetryon Emissions

5th Wing Patrol Ship
Dominion Captain
Omet'Iklan
+
Jem'Hadar Attack Ship
Dominion Captain
Suicide Attack

Khazara
Toreth
Plasma Torpedoes
Artificial Quantum Singularity

Defiant
Benjamin Sisko
Cloaking Device
Quantum Torpedoes
Jadzia Dax or Miles O'Brien (the former if you think players will really like the cloaking mechanic, so they can play with "getting out of arc" the latter if you think they'll prefer a simpler approach to combat)

Borg Sphere (when running this, recommend that other players gang up on it for obvious reasons)
Drone
Borg Assimilation Tubules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2Omega wrote:
If you are going to demo the game you need to show potential players what they are familiar with.

This is an EPIC fight between the 2 ships.
It allows you to show off ships, captains, how elite talents can impact the game, weapons, and how various crew also serve a function on the ship.

Edit:
You may also want to show off the kobayashi maru scenario on another table too. Great way to show off that the game ALSO has scenarios other than death match.

While I was hoping to keep it more simple (there's one table for this, and one for X-Wing) the list you provided is pure WIN. I want to be able to show people the basic game with a little familiarity, and have a binder of cards they can look through to come up with their own ideas.

I was trying to avoid the overpowered stuff simply because I wouldn't want people discouraged going up against Picard and losing every time. But I do like the iconic builds. Ent-D with Picard, Engage, etc.

On scenarios - I don't think the Kobayashi Maru would work all that well with pre-built fleets, but I do like the idea of being able to play out the Scimitar mission with 3 ships in a co-op environment. I could easily that along, or even do the Mutara Nebula (Khan on the Reliant was one of my pre-built ships) scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbowombat wrote:

If you're pre-building the ships, why do the points matter? It should matter that players feel like what they're doing is awesome, IE Picard saying Engage to outmaneuver Gowron.

This has merit! I was using points to keep them roughly balanced. I do like a lot of your lists. The Koranak with Dukat, Boheeka, and DWA is more tournament quality than demo, but I see what you mean about them doing something pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2Omega wrote:

I agree. For me the missions are the best thing about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyd76 wrote:
Turbowombat wrote:

If you're pre-building the ships, why do the points matter? It should matter that players feel like what they're doing is awesome, IE Picard saying Engage to outmaneuver Gowron.

This has merit! I was using points to keep them roughly balanced. I do like a lot of your lists. The Koranak with Dukat, Boheeka, and DWA is more tournament quality than demo, but I see what you mean about them doing something pretty awesome.

Piggy-backing on the notion, you could show how the game allows you to play canon fleets/battles, just as easily as it allows you to play alternate reality/Fantasy builds.

You can have it the way it was, or the way you always wondered what it would be like...

DANVAN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mutara Nebula mission from the Reliant expansion is a lot of fun and shows how the missions can change up the rules a bunch. It also captures the feeling of Wrath of Kahn exceedingly well. Also, Kahn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
42sp Enterprise-D/Picard/Engage/Antimatter Mines
41sp Defiant/Sisko/Attack Pattern Delta/Quantum Torps/Cloak
41sp Excelsior/Sulu/Feint/Janice Rand/Valtane/Photon Torpedoes
37sp Reliant/Khan/I stab at thee/Joachim/Photon torpedoes
42sp Enterprise/Kirk/Corbomite/Sulu/Scott/McCoy

40sp Gr'oth/Koloth+D7/Krell

Try and build them as 1v1 ships. The two d7s is a very TOS feeling fleet to face the enterprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my (mostly) 100 point lists for various Faction Pure builds, they're fairly balanced against each other. I like to demo with 2 ships to new players since it isn't the end of the world if they loose a single ship and you can show just enough depth without being too overwhelming in the first match.

Federation: 100 of 100pts

Enterprise D 28
Picard 5
Geordi La Forge 4
Engage 3
Quantum Torpedos 6
Worf 3
Miles O'Brien 2

Excelsior 26
Sulu 4
Attack Pattern Omega. 3
Quantum Torpedos 6
Transwarp Drive 3
Uhura 3
Lujur 2

Klingon 100 of 100pts

Negh'Var 30
Martok 5
In'Cha 5
Photon Torpedos 5
N'Garen 4
Alexander 3

Koraga 26
Nu'Daq 3
Photon Torpedos 5
Advance Weapon System 5
Klingon Boarding P. 5
Drex 4

Romulan 100 of 100pts

Valdore 30
Donatra 4
All Forward Disruptors 4
Tactical Officer 3
Photon Torpedos 5
Photon Torpedos 5 (Other type)

Khazara 30
Toreth 4
All Forward Disruptors 4
Tactical Officer 3
Photon Torpedos 5
Interphase Gen 3

Dominion 99 of 100pts

Koranak 26 48
Gul Dukat 5
Captured Intel. 3
Cloaking Device 4
Tetryon Emiss. 3
Enhanced Weap. 5
Boheeka 2

Gor Portas 26 51
Thot Pran 5
Photon Torpedo 5
Photon Torpedo 5
Dorsal Weapons Array 3
Energy Dissipator 5
Breen Aide 2

Dominion (Jem'h.) 99 of 100pts

4th Division Bship 36 62
Weyoun (7) 5
Invaluable Advice 2
Shroud 1
Dorsal Weapons Array 3
Ixtana'Rax 2-1=1
Ikat'Ika 5-1=4
Omet'iklan 5
Virak'Kara 5

5th Wing P. Ship 22 37
Sar 2
Tetryon Emissions 3
Photon Torpedoes 5
Toman'Torax 5

Borg 100 of 100pts

Borg Sphere 4270 40
Tactical Drone 3
Seven of Nine 4
Borg Tractor Beam 7
Cutting Beam 8

Borg Sphere (gen) 38
Drone 0

Species 8472 100 of 100pts

Bioship Alpha 38
Bioship Alpha Pilot 6
The Weak Shall Perish 5
Quantum Singularity 6
Extra Immune Response 5

Bioship (generic) 36
Generic Pilot 0
Quantum Singularity 6

If I didn't get some of the names dead on don't worry about it, I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.