Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Henderson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody else catch the phrase "pay top dollar" on the back of the H&P box? I understand it's used more as an idea and top credit doesn't sound quite right, but still a bit of a turn-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Hour and Profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps, but just because a society moves beyond one form of technology to another doesn't mean the corresponding idioms or sayings are discarded.

We do still say "Hold your horses" after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have like 20 bucks in my wallet and I don't mean buck skins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Henderson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely understand... it just seems like the theme and language of a game is a shiny veneer that attracts and holds people in a game, and you would want to take advantage of every opportunity to use the in-game vernacular. It's not a big deal, really; it just seems like a missed opportunity to strengthen the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
prodigal source wrote:
I completely understand... it just seems like the theme and language of a game is a shiny veneer that attracts and holds people in a game, and you would want to take advantage of every opportunity to use the in-game vernacular. It's not a big deal, really; it just seems like a missed opportunity to strengthen the theme.

How do you know the phrase "pay top dollar" ISN'T in their vernacular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But we also have to make sure everything is pronounced right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Henderson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
prodigal source wrote:

How do you know the phrase "pay top dollar" ISN'T in their vernacular?

You're right. They've probably got the Jersey Shore and everything. I wonder how the Android universe dealt with thier bath salts epidemic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meng
msg tools
rattkin wrote:
It's Hour and Profit.

No, it's Horses & Piggies!!!

I love incorrect terminology. It makes these forums so much more worth while. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.