Steam Barons» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Adjacent Cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hammer of war
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
What is the advantage of paying 3 to use the printed track between adjacent Cities? Unless I am missing a rule doesn't a sharp turn track tile do the same thing but only cost 2, plus you block 2 city edges which can be good if you need to block a different company from getting access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
SpeakerFTD wrote:
What is the advantage of paying 3 to use the printed track between adjacent Cities? Unless I am missing a rule doesn't a sharp turn track tile do the same thing but only cost 2, plus you block 2 city edges which can be good if you need to block a different company from getting access.

Here's my five cents on it.

I think the adjacency itself is caused by scale. Compare the map to the base game map and you'll see the area covered is larger in the expansion map. The cities aren't actually grown together. Remember that a city's every hex side is considered to have exit/entry rails. Therefore the $2 rail wouldn't make much sense for adjacent (read: "already connected") cities, but the $3 rail would, since the distance is slightly longer. Also notice how the rulebook, when discussing adjacent cities, states that "These can be connected by..." and makes no mention of the $2 option.

Put all that together and arrive at my conclusion: the $3 option is the only allowed way to connect adjacent cities. That's how we play it, anyway.

EDIT. No, I don't think we do. See messages below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never interpreted it to mean that the $3 option is the only way to connect the cities. The rule says:
Quote:
Some cities are adjacent to each other. These can be connected by placing one of your tokens on the connecting track symbol. It costs you $3 to do so and counts as placing one track tile.

Since it does not have exclusive wording like "can only be connected..." I read it to mean that paying the $3 connection cost in just one additional option to connect the cities, not the only option.

To answer the original question, in my experience this type of connection exists because otherwise there would be fewer exits available for those cities. The two cases it would be favored over the $2 option are:

1. The $2 option is not available.
2. There is a desire to use one or both of the hex sides that the $2 would consume to build other routes.

In general, my sense is that adjacent but still connectable cities are included to allow the map to be condensed enough to represent geography while still allowing for the same number of exits from the cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. And I'm pretty sure my memory on the "that's how we play it" is wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammer of war
United States
Wyoming
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input to my question after reading your replies and re reading the rules

“The cost for building between adjacent cities remains the same, $3.” (Phase two build tracks Eastern US Map Only in Steam Baron’s Rule book)

I am thinking that maybe the connecting adjacent cites regardless if it is from the printed connection on the game board or if its by the sharp turn track tile will cost 3 either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure that is not the correct conclusion. I believe the statement you are referring to is actually just a reference to the rule I quoted, not an attempt to clarify it.

To put it another way, placing an acute curve track is not "building between two adjacent cities" as much as it is just normal track building, governed by the normal track building rules.

You can play it either way, I guess, but none of my experience with Steam or AoS supports the idea that the ability to connect adjacent cities without a track tile impacts any of the standard track building rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to look at it is to accept that connecting an adjacent city using an acute curve is always possible and only costs $2. However once that happens, there is still the ability to use the connecting track option but at an additional cost. This keeps those lucrative but closely spaced locations from being monopolized by the first player. RotW get around this by ruling that your build ends once your first link is completed. On the Steam map in question one player using acute curves could seal off that whole area. The direct link option mitigates that somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.