Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Geeks!

Well it looks like ol' Wookie1 is gonna get hitched.
The wedding is this Sunday...gulp gulp

Ha ha...

Anyway, My soon to be wife says I need to get the Best Man a present.
Well, he happens to be my gaming bud and so I'm thinking of picking up a game we will both play.

Our favourite games to play have been:

Silent Death
Star Fleet Battles
Federation Commander: Klingon Boarder
Momior 44
Lock n Load Vietnam
INWO
Car Wars

The game I'm thinking of buying is Commands and Colors: Ancients but I'm afraid that the game might be more hype then actually fun. - I've been burned a few times due to hype.

Should I pick up one of the Memior expansions over C&C: Ancients?

I've also been thinking of Wilderness War...but that might be a tad bit too heavy for my gaming bud.

Hmmmm...what to do? Any advice you can give to a fellow geek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CC:A sounds like a good choice to me. I feel that it is better than M44 because the rule system feels more like ancient combat than WWII combat. The system is open to much greater expansion as well; 4500 years for CC:A versus 6 years for M44.

Clash for a Continent, or For Honor and Glory, both by Worthington Games (available through GMT) are excellent alternitives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
"A Flask?!?"

Huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a flask sounds reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I wanted to get him a flask I would not have entitled this post "What game to buy my "Best Man"???

Geez!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still agree with Ryan. You should really rename this thread "What flask to buy my "Best Man"???"

This one looks pretty classic.

P.S. If you don't go with the flask, C&C: Ancients would probably be a good choice. If you like the C&C system in M44, but also like the complexity of some of those other games, Ancients is a good meld of the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well a flask is out cuz the guy barley drinks.

Yeah I know a board game in not a traditional gift...I just think he would like something that he'll actually use and want.

Hmmm...maybe I should skip the game and just get him a pair of engraved cufflinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mitchell
Canada
Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I think a game would be a fine gift for a best man, if it's something that reminds you both of your friendship.

In fact, I got board games from a groomsman for my wedding and it's one of the few gifts I can still associate with a person.

Do Wookiees even wear cufflinks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that you could get Commands and Colors: Ancients engraved?
If so, then I think it's a perfect choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AngusBull wrote:
Do you think that you could get Commands and Colors: Ancients engraved?
If so, then I think it's a perfect choice.

Great Idea!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kawski
United States
Midland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I wish you many happy two player games with your future wife.

I think a game would be a very appropriate gift, if your Best Man is a board game geek. I think the best gifts are the ones you know the recipient will like, even if it may be non-traditional. I've gotten a few engraved trinkets for weddings and other such events. They typically get stuffed in a drawer and thrown away eventually.

For my wedding, I gave my groomsmen each a set of clay poker chips. It seemed to be well received, as they were trying to set up a game after the rehearsal dinner.

I think C&C:Ancients or Hammer of the Scots would be a great choice.

If you want something that may be a little more permanent, you might try to find something that would look good as a decoration as well. Perhaps a nice Chess, Go, or Mah-Jongg set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People carry flasks around? Get him a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a boardgame for being a groomsman and thought it was a great gift. Much more practical than a flask -- booze already comes in conveniently carried bottles. I would recommend C&C:Ancients.

I'm not sure what you would engrave with Ancients though. Now a sticker with the guys face that he could use as a leader -- that would be classy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A flask and cuff-links? Boring! He deserves something more personal than that.
If you like Momior 44, I suggest you get him Memoir '44. :-)

Really... I think a game is a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents

If you prefer to depart from Richard Borg's games, and you want something that can be easy to start with and readily upgradeable... (I know, too many "ifs")... A House Divided

Easy but with meat you can add-on. Different to what you've played. Nice board and pieces (although counters) but.... a bit longer than CC:A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best man should be buying you a game. Wedding present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillies
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why not the best of both worlds?

Game cufflinks:
http://www.1stchoicecufflinks.com/ecommerce/Scripts/prodList...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Who really wears cuff links these days? Who really carries a flask, too?

You know,whenever I see somebody with cuff links AND flask I think of an alcoholic ne'er do well playboy character in a 1940's B-movie.

Get him a game. C&C:Ancients is a better game by itself than M'44 with an Expansion. But if you get an expansion, get Eastern Front or Pacific Front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yup, a game is the way to go. Now if they weren't a gamer, perhaps something else instead (but possibly not). But since he is a gamer, definately a game.
I haven't played any of those games so I can't say, but I'm sure he'd be happy with any of them. And even if he doesn't care too much for the game, he'll still very much appreciate the thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wookie1, I apologize up front for the fact that this post will not contain any useful advice on game selection. I'm not into the same sort of games as you and your buddy--but I wanted to add my vote for the great idea of getting him a game. I certainly haven't heard any better suggestion. A flask? Please, that's so prom.

I can't think of any gift-giving occasion for which a game wouldn't be a good choice (for someone who likes games, of course!). I don't know how old you guys are, but I've reached that point in life where I just have way too much stuff already. I'd much rather have something I can use--and I don't mean like a snow shovel, but something that will continue to bring joy to my life--and that I can remember the giver whenever I use, and that will allow me to create new wonderful memories, perhaps with the giver. That's a lot better than something that has sentimental value, but just sits around in a drawer (which is what most cuff links do--different, of course, if your friend dresses up formal a lot and favors French cuff shirts). And what's with this dissing on a game for being "cardboard"? Sure, but I think we've all bought a $60 box of cardboard before. And if he takes care of it, that cardboard will last for decades.

The only thing that worries me about this wedding is that you don't mention games for the maid of honor or bridesmaids, if any. I hope this means your fiancee had no trouble picking them out, and not that--well, best wishes, wookie1, and I hope we don't see you back here in 3 months writing one of those pathetic "How can I get my wife to play games with me???" geeklists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Groenewold
Canada
flag msg tools
Hmmm...

I was going to recommend a certain game that has been recently released, self-published by three total newbies in Japan, but this game has been savagely reviewed on these boards:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/116360

I should first of all really thank Ed Rozmiarek for taking the time to review our game with his gaming group in Texas. Seriously Ed, many thanks! We appreciate your time and we appreciate the very thorough (complete with photos!) review. We also really appreciate that you couldn't find the humor in our game Whipped!. There are just some guys out there who just don't get the humor, and so, through really no fault of their own, can't enjoy it. No problem for us, and we still REALLY appreciate your time.

Thank you also VERY much for the constructive criticism on how to IMPROVE our game. This is the very first time we have published ANY game and the deck we sent you is from a very limited print run. Our next printing will be addressing all your concerns. That was GREAT help!

But... and this is where we really have to stand by our game (defending our "baby" LOL) we have sent the game out to a bunch of people and they laughed themselves silly. They thought that our game was the IDEAL game for people in relationships, or who are embarking on the great journey of matrimony.... but it does require having a bit of a sense of humor, and not taking oneself TOO seriously.

I liked the fact that Ed was unhappy with the fact that one player got knocked out in the first round. One of my partners remarked, in so many words, "Well.. yes that is unfortunate, but in this context, sometimes a guy can get seriously whipped, and whipped into non-existence as far as his friends are concerned." Our game is not one to "win". Our game is one to "experience".

Having a significant other in your life is a glorious thing. There is no doubt about it. Our game "Whipped" is not a childish response to the fact that our girlfriends and wives can radically affect the way in which we live, grow, (and possibly evolve...) but rather, that when you are spending more and more time with your beloved, you still have friends in your life who have made you the guy you are, probably the guy that she fell for. You gotta hang onto your friends, and value them as well. The best thing, for all parties, is to have something more balanced and mature. Our game is a fun parody on that dynamic. Most people who have played our game, "Get It".

Anyway, congratulations on getting married! That really is a marvelous adventure. The three guys who made Whipped are all very happily married, our wives actually LOVE our game, think it is hilarious (of course there is some eyerolling that goes on), and we are all very happily "whipped" too!

All the best! And don't forget your buddies after you tie the knot, OK?

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
My response was a subtle way of indicating a game is not an appropriate wedding gift.

A game will last until you're bored of it. A flask will last forever.

What one is more like a marriage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say get the game. I don't think the themes of the game matter and it makes a good excuse to add to the game collection of the group.

My buddy got married last year and got the guys in wedding party each a game (granted only 3 of us). Very cool we were in the hotel lobby the morning of the wedding playing Ticket to Ride and Wildlife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.