Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in a 2-player game where Player A has an enemy engaged with him and Player B controls a ranged hero, can Player B's ranged hero execute a ranged attack during Player A's attack phase if none of Player A's characters are contributing to the attack (i.e. an un-aided ranged attack)?

I've always played that this was possible, but re-reading the rules for ranged has me doubting myself:
LotR LCG Core Rulebook wrote:
A character with the ranged keyword can be declared by its controller as an attacker against enemies that are engaged with other players. A character can declare ranged attacks against these targets while its owner is declaring attacks, or it can participate in attacks that are declared by other players.

Is other players participating in the attack a prerequisite for executing this ranged attack out-of-turn?

The reason this matters is say you have Brand with a Rohan Warhorse on Player B's side, and Player A is the 1st player this round. If all of Player A's characters were exhausted, could Brand make a ranged attack when it's Player A's turn to attack, then ready himself with the Rohan Warhorse so that he can make another attack on a different enemy when it's back to Player B's turn to attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your example, Player B can attack with Brand if Player A does not attack the enemy himself. In that case, Player B would make the ranged attack during Player B's Attack phase.

If Player A were attacking the enemy during Player A's attack phase, then Player B could participate in the attack at that time.

If Player C or D (in a 4-player game) also had ranged characters, they could participate in a ranged attack initiated by Player B during Player B's Attack phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, but I don't think I articulated my question well enough:

My question is *must* Player A have one of his characters attack in order for a ranged character to be able to participate in an attack during Player A's attack phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When it's Player A's attack step, if he wants to declare an attack against an enemy, he must exhaust a character as an attacker.

Rulebook, Pg. 20:
In order to declare an attack, a player must exhaust at
least 1 ready character.

So Player A cannot declare an attack without an attacker, then have Player B 'participate' in that attack. But in the situation you describe, that's not a problem. In your example, you can have Player A simply not declare any attacks. Then, during Player B's attack step, he can declare an attack against Player A's enemy with Brand, and if he kills it, ready Brand with Rohan Warhorse. Then Player A can declare an attack on a different enemy, and Brand can exhaust to attack that one as well.

Keep in mind that a Player can only declare one against each enemy during his turn, but a character can attack as many times as he wants, provided that he's ready and each attack is legally declared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom - it looks like I gave a bad example. Let me try again :)

Let's say you have Brand under control of Player B and Merry under control of Player A. Every character on Player A's side of the table is exhausted, and thus cannot participate in an attack when it's Player A's turn to declare attackers. If Player A had more than 1 enemy engaged with him/her, then (if the way I was playing it was valid), Brand could kill an enemy, ready Merry because of his effect, and then Merry and Brand together could attack the 2nd enemy. Since I was incorrect in how I interpreted the rule, this is not possible. Brand would have to attack on Player B's turn, and even though he could still ready Merry it would be inconsequential because Merry's window of opportunity to attack (Player A's turn) has passed.

Very informative, thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:

Rulebook, Pg. 20:
In order to declare an attack, a player must exhaust at
least 1 ready character.

Oh wow. I thought I understood the attack rules, but I've been missing this one. There were several cases in my recent game where my questing/defense deck exhausted all its characters on defense, and I had to rely on the ranged deck to kill the enemies engaged with the defense deck. I was "declaring" the attack with the defense deck (so that the ranged deck could declare a second attack on the same enemy if needed), which was incorrect. Since all my attacks "across the table" killed the enemies in a single attack, it didn't make a difference in the end (the ranged deck could have been the one declaring the attack and it would have worked out), but if I had ever had an enemy that took two attacks to kill (I had put Unexpected Courage on Legolas so he could participate in multiple attacks), I would have been playing it wrong. I would have been "declaring" attacks from the defense deck whose characters were all exhausted, which would have been incorrect.

I'm really glad I saw this. Thanks, GeckoTH! I've just given you a GG tip because that rule correction was immensely valuable to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.