Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: LNOE --> World War Z and RE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Woodman GW
United States
California
flag msg tools
We've had a couple threads going on campaign play and I wanted to get the community's thoughts on an idea I've been thinking about for some time. I want to be able to hold an event at my local game store that showcases LNOE but with some significant differences.

1) Use 3D terrain and miniatures. I don't need to discuss that here as it is fairly straight forward in 2 dimensions, though if anyone has tried it and has lessons learned, I'd be interested in hearing.

2) Add multiple story rules. Shouldn't be too hard as long as the different stories can be considered multiple 2D battlefields, though the stairs connecting them need rules, as well as options for climbing and jumping down.

3) Capture the feel (and even duplicate some events) of WWZ or Resident Evil. Which means - a lot more zombies. Quite frankley, all the Zombie movies in the last two decades differ from LNOE in that they have much higher numbers of zombies (at least in exterior scenes), but the heroes have the ability to kill them much easier. Here is where I think I need some significant tweaks to the rules. If you don't think I am stretching the system too much, maybe you can help.

One way would be to rely on hero buffing through the advancement rules and maybe add high rate of fire weapons, but I'm not sure that accomplishes the goal. What I have been thinking is changing the combat rule so that doubles are not needed for zombie death - a simple higher role is sufficient. Then as the scenario progresses, guns that allow multiple attacks and less chance of running out of ammo.

Any other suggestions that would allow the heroes to be balanced with 3to 4x as many zombies attacking?

4) The other tweak I think I need to keep the feel of the RE / WWZ movies is to make most walls (which will be miniature building terrain) impassable and allow movement only through doors and windows, and then use the barricade rules to beef them up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this event? I don't want to just use one of the other game systems because I want to keep the great cinematic feel of LNOE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NERF = to depower a card or ability
Hmmmmmm, that's an interesting challenge.

First off, you'll need more zombies to have on the board. I can think of two solutions.

1) Buy the Last Night on Earth: Growing Hunger, Last Night on Earth 'Radioactive Grave Dead' Supplement, and Last Night on Earth: Zombies with Grave Weapons Miniature Set to get extra zombies, but that's kinda pricey.

2) Buy the Zombies!!! pack of 100 zombies, or maybe even the Zombicide Box of Zombies Set #1: Walk of the Dead. The 100 pack is pretty cheap, but the sizes will be off a bit and the minis all look the same. I have no experience with Zombicide, but its also an option to making sure you can flood the board with zombies.

Next off, you' need to tweak the rules, as you've said.

I'd add "zombies autospawn" and maybe even "roll 2d6" for spawning zombies instead of 1d6. For weapons, well I don't see any reason why you can't declare "1 shot per zombie, per turn" during the ranged combat phase or even "shoot until you run out" since all ranged weapons have a "if you do this, discard your gun" drawback.

Adjusting the rules so that heros kill on higher rolls is doable, but that might "NERF" some weapons like the chainsaw. cry

One other thing you may think about revamping is the zombie rate of movement. Maybe they need to move 2 spaces instead of 1 or roll 1d3 for movement. That way they aren't just picked up at a distance by high powered gunners.

I think your multiple story rules sound good. You may want to take a look at Heroclix or some other game for determining ranged attacks and line of sight with multiple stories rules.

Hmmmmmm.... walls=barricade rules I'm not as big a fan of because I think it severely hampers the zombie player, however, playtesting may prove me wrong given your adjustments.

Those are my suggestions for your idea. To get the balance you are looking for, you will need to do some serious playtesting. I wish you the best of luck and let me know how it goes! I've subscribed to the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woodman GW
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for the suggestions. No worries about the number of zombies. I have all the expansions, plus have bought zombies from several other game systems including Zombicide so that I have more variety. I have Zombies!!! pack too, but don't like them (too small scale and all identical). Without them I should still be able to field close to a hundred (course time to paint them all is another matter).

Barricades - now that I think about it, I don't need the Barricade rules. But because I will be using real building terrain, I can use typical entry rules - they can enter doors and windows but not go through walls.

You are right about movement. Since the goal is to be able to have a lot of figures on the table I'll probably lay out a grid rather than use what is more typical on miniature tables, measuring. That will keep movement quick (and of course match the normal game rules.

I'll try to keep line of sight and multilevels as simple as possible. Not give any height advantage, measure distance in 2D, not 3D etc.

I will need to up the spawn too. If I really want to have it open like WWZ, I would start with a lot of civilians on the table and use something like the Hero death / infected rules so that they could be attacked and turned into zombies as the weaponless heros flee for their life. So if I have civilians on the table it can take the place of spawning to some extent because they spawn by spreading the infection.

I'll do some play testing soon and let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.