Popular Tags: [View All]
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Though there are a lot of commonalities between schools throughout the country and world, the fact is every school and school district runs a little differently from one to another.

If you had the power to change one thing about your local schools what would you change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would allow for a mechanism that hold parents accountable for their children s disruptive behavior.

or

2. Increase competition with school vouchers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd want a decreased emphasis on athletics. Too much money is funneled into a pursuit which does zero to prepare kids for the future.

I suppose it does take meatheads and give them something to do that helps keep them semi-tranquil and non-disruptive, but it's a huge amount of cash to act as a sedative for the small percent of cromagnons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaren
United States
flag msg tools
Turtle Power
badge
all the way down
mb
Less emphasis on technology. On the whole we're pretty satisfied with our local schools though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
I'd want a decreased emphasis on athletics. Too much money is funneled into a pursuit which does zero to prepare kids for the future.

I suppose it does take meatheads and give them something to do that helps keep them semi-tranquil and non-disruptive, but it's a huge amount of cash to act as a sedative for the small percent of cromagnons.

This...this is the most idiotic thing you've ever said here. I suppose we were bound to disagree on something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: My kid's only two, so I have no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
1. I would allow for a mechanism that hold parents accountable for their children s disruptive behavior.

or

2. Increase competition with school vouchers.

I actually agree with Jeremy on his first point and vehemently disagree with his second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Smaller class sizes. Below 20 students.

And yes, I'd be willing to pay more for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

This...this is the most idiotic thing you've ever said here. I suppose we were bound to disagree on something.

When you say that, it hurts me. It stays with me. So I actually remember the last time you said something was the stupidest thing I've ever said. So I have to know...

... is this really more stupid than my being okay with watching TV shows on Netflix and being a season behind the rest of the world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
English as the only language of instruction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

When you say that, it hurts me. It stays with me. So I actually remember the last time you said something was the stupidest thing I've ever said. So I have to know...

... is this really more stupid than my being okay with watching TV shows on Netflix and being a season behind the rest of the world?

Yes, because you are PAYING FOR STREAMING. GOOD GOD MAN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaffeineBot wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Yes, because you are PAYING FOR STREAMING. GOOD GOD MAN.

Can you direct me to a legal streaming site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Yes. The full ranked list will be out later this year, but this gets the number one spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
More like a Van Halen video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
I actually agree with Jeremy on his first point

you just lost all credibility.

TheChin! wrote:
and vehemently disagree with his second.

Oh, you just got it back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
Can you direct me to a legal streaming site?

It's legal in Russia!

Seriously though the marginal cost to reproduce an episode is almost 0 and they charge outrageous mark-ups. They abuse monopoly power and the product isn't generally worth consuming at full price.

So although I would not personally watch an illegal streaming site, I can understand why people would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Are you going to make an effort to defend your statement? Because without some context it sounds for all the world like petty high school grudges, and that's pretty sad for someone who hasn't been in high school for over a decade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Are you going to make an effort to defend your statement? Because without some context it sounds for all the world like petty high school grudges, and that's pretty sad for someone who hasn't been in high school for over a decade.

I admit the second half sounded petty. But the first half... explain to me how high school athletics prepares kids to function in the world, and does it do that for enough kids and well enough to justify the cost and expense that most schools throw at it?

I would say it actually takes away from a kid's ability to function in the real world by creating that sense of entitlement that we see. Duke lacrosse, high school athletes who get a slap on the wrist for drinking and driving, sexual assaults turned around on the victims because the guy was the star QB.... it gives kids the sense that the world will go out of its way for them. And once they end up selling insurance or cars.... the world isn't so friendly to them anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

If by athletics you mean only competitive athletics, while I still disagree with you at least I can see part of where you are coming from... but if you really mean athletics in general than I have to agree with Dave that this is a really dumb statement.

Part of preparing for life in a society with HIGHLY sedentary professions is finding some activities to enjoy doing that are ACTIVE. Because our current society is horribly unhealthy "physically".

Even with my weight problems I learned to love playing volleyball, softball, tennis and basketball in public schools. I learned to enjoy them enough to work on finding ways to play them outside of school and even into adulthood. I also learned to enjoy some parts of track and sports/skills like archery etc. In high school I got to take an excellent nutrition and aerobics class as a PE option.

I would like to see less emphasis on shaming people who don't do well in PE classes certainly, so the jock jack ass "coach" teaching PE isn't good, but good PE teachers who can make getting out and doing stuff "fun" for everybody and teach good self health care are as valuable to the future life of kids as a good math teacher in my personal opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

If by athletics you mean only competitive athletics, while I still disagree with you at least I can see part of where you are coming from... but if you really mean athletics in general than I have to agree with Dave that this is a really dumb statement.

Part of preparing for life in a society with HIGHLY sedentary professions is finding some activities to enjoy doing that are ACTIVE. Because our current society is horribly unhealthy "physically".

Even with my weight problems I learned to love playing volleyball, softball, tennis and basketball in public schools. I also learned to enjoy some parts of track and sports/skills like archery etc. In high school I got to take an excellent nutrition and aerobics class as a PE option.

I would like to see less emphasis on shaming people who don't do well in PE classes certainly, so the jock jack ass "coach" teaching PE isn't good, but good PE teachers who can make getting out and doing stuff "fun" for everybody and teach good self health care are as valuable to the future life of kids as a good math teacher in my personal opinion.

And how much money would be spent on intramural sports or classes for living healthily, and how much is spent on bigger gymnasiums for a high school team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Even with my weight problems I learned to love playing volleyball, softball, tennis and basketball in public schools. I also learned to enjoy some parts of track and sports/skills like archery etc. In high school I got to take an excellent nutrition and aerobics class as a PE option.

And how much money would be spent on intramural sports or classes for living healthily, and how much is spent on bigger gymnasiums for a high school team?

But those gymnasiums get used by everybody during the school day. It isn't like team sports get facilities that only they use in a school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

But those gymnasiums get used by everybody during the school day. It isn't like team sports get facilities that only they use in a school.

And I'm not complaining about the gymnasium.... it's the seating for 4,000 and then that somehow isn't enough and needs to be expanded. Intramural is a far cry from what is spent on the competitive side of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I admit the second half sounded petty. But the first half... explain to me how high school athletics prepares kids to function in the world, and does it do that for enough kids and well enough to justify the cost and expense that most schools throw at it?

I would say it actually takes away from a kid's ability to function in the real world by creating that sense of entitlement that we see. Duke lacrosse, high school athletes who get a slap on the wrist for drinking and driving, sexual assaults turned around on the victims because the guy was the star QB.... it gives kids the sense that the world will go out of its way for them. And once they end up selling insurance or cars.... the world isn't so friendly to them anymore.

Well, for one thing, that sense of entitlement doesn't come from sports and sports alone. It's everywhere, and it continues well beyond high school. Worse, it's the adults in those situations who give the kids that sense of entitlement, not the players or the fact that they're on a sports team. I'd say any grown-up despicable enough to let a kid slide for drunk driving so the high school they went to twenty years ago can win a game or two deserves a solid beating and maybe some prison time. You'll get no argument from me there.

As for preparing kids for the world, playing a sport has all kinds of benefits. Learning to be a good winner and a gracious loser. Learning the value of practicing something and watching yourself become better at it. Learning that no matter how good you are at something, there will probably be people who are just naturally better at it than you and always will be, and that's ok. Learning that it's important to work hard anyway. Learning to work as part of a team and learning to take personal responsibility for your "job" within that team.

I'm not saying any of those things are only available through sports, or trying to elevate sports to some kind of paragon status. But the argument that they have no benefit is ridiculous. There are hundreds of stories like this one every year out of high school sports. It's not all Steubenville. The vast majority of high school athletes get nothing like the superstar treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Sounds like Poindexter here was on the wrong end of one too many swirlies in high school.

That was my take. I forget occasionally just how many butthurt former high school geeks on this site still blame the "meatheads" for their bad years. As if anyone's life in high school was a picnic. Didn't these people see The Breakfast Club?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

And I'm not complaining about the gymnasium.... it's the seating for 4,000 and then that somehow isn't enough and needs to be expanded. Intramural is a far cry from what is spent on the competitive side of things.

While I agree that sometimes the competitive sports can go overboard... honestly even they serve a purpose.

It is FUN to watch and cheer for your teams. And in my case, and I think the case of many others, it makes you want to go out and PLAY yourself.

After the Olympics I almost always end up going to the gym about twice as often for several months and actually look forward to going for awhile rather than dreading it. While I dream of being able to maybe get in good enough shape to DO some of those fun things I just watched people doing so superbly for two weeks.

Not because I ever think I am going to swim like Phelps but because watching him swim makes me want to swim a bit faster than I currently do and reminds me that swimming laps CAN be fun instead of drudgery if I get my brain into the right space. And watching all those team things makes me want to go out and join fun intramural adult leagues again.

Not to mention just the example of hard work CAN help you achieve goals that sports can provide.

I don't think the football star should be more honored/valued than the brain bowl star... but there is a place and reason to admire both. Both require talent and hard work to achieve. I am all for finding ways to make other achievements just as honored and valued as sports achievements. But not by eliminating the sports. Rather I want us to heap greater honor and value on the other paths to distinction to raise them up to the same level sports achievements provide.

Because sports can do great good for those that do them and can be good for those inspired by them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.