Popular Tags: [View All]
Flane
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In many of the games we have played, the final rounds are essentially predetermined. There is little to nothing that can be done to change the inevitable outcome.

I would like to suggest a change to two character cards that would end the non-changeability of the final turns of play. First, the card effect would allow the character to place a route change token into an empty position ahead if its scout. This effect represents rumors about upstream terrain that has changed or was different than expected. Making the effect 'upstream' prevents leading scouts from penalizing the runner-ups but provides a means of disrupting the leader's predetermined card play. This effect utilizes tokens already provided in the box.

I'd suggest changing the Action of Daniel Boone(46) and Coboway(48).

Daniel Boone(46)
Put two Indians into the Pow-wow and place an available Change Route token on any empty route ahead of your scout (possibly removing Change Route token already placed). This action could be given Strength up to three times.

Coboway(48)
Remove four different supplies and place an available Change Route token on any empty route ahead of your scout (possibly removing Change Route token already placed). This action could be given Strength up to three times.

Both of these characters have a three equipment cost and their previous actions were duplicated with some minor variation of other character cards.

Please comment on this proposal.

flane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty damn cool.

another idea is simply instead of placing the terrain token on the main route, put it next to a space to allow for branching paths. The token next to a given space can be chosen instead of main space, like a fork in the road.so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Would work well for games where the leader is way ahead (for whatever reason).

But, it might be too powerful in a close game, as an unexpected change in terrain could stop someone dead in their tracks. I would perhaps consider only allowing such moves 'adjacent' to the trail, such as creating new mountain 'passes' that cut across the gameboard. I don't have the map in front of me, but I think you could make a shortcut in one play by using a 3 Indians to place 3 markers. The problem with this variant is that you'd have to figure out an adjacency ruling, when attempting to connect beyond the borders of the 'trail.'

EDIT: Went back and read Roland's previous post, where he had already suggested something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaney wrote:

Daniel Boone(46)
Put two Indians into the Pow-wow and place an available Change Route token on any empty route ahead of your scout (possibly removing Change Route token already placed). This action could be given Strength up to three times.

Coboway(48)
Remove four different supplies and place an available Change Route token on any empty route ahead of your scout (possibly removing Change Route token already placed). This action could be given Strength up to three times.

While this sounds cool, it would need a lot of playtesting.
First, I think this will make the game considerably longer.
In addition to hindering the players ahead of him, the player using the cards could also just keep "flattening" mountain spaces in front of him to his liking as he goes.

The changes should also be permanent IMO, or you could just take away the tokens when you get to that section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flane
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the cost makes this harder to do and there are only two Route Changing cards. I can see the village Shamanism being used now to protect or hinder the route.

Since you can only play one card at a time, other players have a chance of altering your new path before you'd get a change to act on it.

The permanent change to Route, though, would prevent high frequency terrain changing shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
flaney wrote:
I think the cost makes this harder to do and there are only two Route Changing cards. I can see the village Shamanism being used now to protect or hinder the route.

Also, might force the leader to burn a 'Farewell' action to clear one (or both!)of these cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flane
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any ideas on Iconography that might be used on the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, how would you go about these cards?

Perhaps they could be saboteurs that give bad information to the rival leader scout, and are able to find shortcuts that avoid mountains and rivers.

Or are they some sort of witches that can conjure mountains and rivers where there are none?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flane
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Perhaps they could be saboteurs that give bad information to the rival leader scout, and are able to find shortcuts that avoid mountains and rivers.

Doesn't need to be so malicious. Passes close; an avalanche in winter clogs a stream/river in summer. Names of landmarks are confused by different Indian tribes; old journals and damaged maps lead to inaccuracies. The character has insight into the territory, or is especially good at finding alternate trails, or has great support from the local tribes.

I quess you could think of it as swapping the DETOUR signs around. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.