Subject: Hungry Abominations... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hardin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
This idea was inspired by this thread in the "Rules" forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1165003/can-abomination-eat-...

Abominations are mindless eating machines constantly on the search for food. Play the zombie phase as normal. At the end of the zombie phase, if the Abomination is on a square with any other zombies, the Abomination goes into a feeding frenzy. First, count the number of walkers in his zone and roll that many dice. For each "6" rolled, set one walker aside. Then, count the number of runners in his zone and roll that many dice. For each "6" rolled, set one runner aside. Then, count the number of fatties in his zone and roll that many dice. If any sixes are rolled, set aside one fatty (no matter how many fatties are in his zone, and no matter how many sixes are rolled, only one fatty will ever be set aside).

Each of the zombies set aside has been "eaten" by the Abomination and is removed from play. If the Abomination ate a fatty in his feeding frenzy, the Abomination is full. His turn ends immediately, and he is immune to all damage (including Molotov Cocktails) until the next zombie activation phase. If the Abomination did not eat any fatties, then count up the number of walkers and runners consumed. The abomination receives 1 extra activation for each walker consumed and 2 extra activations for each runner consumed. Resolve all extra activations using standard rules. If, at the end of all extra activations, the Abomination again finds himself on a square with other zombies, repeat the feeding frenzy process.

The Abomination's turn continues until either (a) he eats a Fatty, (b) he finishes his activations on a square with no other zombies, or (c) he finishes his activations on a square with other zombies, but fails to roll any sixes.

Thoughts?

Edit for clarification: the intent is that walkers and runners still get eaten, even if the Abomination also eats a fatty at the same time. So, for instance, it would be possible for an Abomination on a very crowded square with some lucky rolls to eat three walkers, two runners, and a fatty. In that case, all six zombies are still killed, and the Abom's turn still ends (since he ate the fatty). In this way, sometimes the hungry Abom will actually work in your favor, clearing out a pack of walkers and runners and not getting any extra activations to show for it. Optionally, to make it much more punishing, the Abomination could roll for the fatties first and if successful he could leave all of the walkers and runners alone that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Dogz?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say keep it to walkers.

Runners could get away, as could dogs.
Fatties would be too big.
Maybe have it so if he eats a fatty, it takes the Abom it's whole next turn to do it, but it's immune in the mean time.

I would have it be, maybe roll one die for each Walker, and if there is at least one success he gets an extra activation.
And this can chain, if he stops in another zone with other zombies he can try again.

I think one die for each zombie and an activation for each success would be too much.

Maybe even have it so if two aboms end up together they Duke it out.
Each rolls a die, on a skull one dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hardin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
And Dogz?

I only have the base game, so I don't have a lot of ideas on how (or whether) to combine the Hungry Abomination with Dogz, Toxics, or Berserkers. I would be inclined to say "no eating dogs" (too quick and too small to make a decent meal). Maybe have Toxics and Berserkers behave normally, but if an Abomination eats three of a single type, he takes on those properties. If you want to be really unforgiving, make it possible to get Abominations of multiple types- Toxic Berserker Abominations!

ropya wrote:

Maybe have it so if he eats a fatty, it takes the Abom it's whole next turn to do it, but it's immune in the mean time.

I would have it be, maybe roll one die for each Walker, and if there is at least one success he gets an extra activation.
And this can chain, if he stops in another zone with other zombies he can try again.

I think one die for each zombie and an activation for each success would be too much.

I wanted to make Abominations much more intimidating, and I don't know if a single extra activation at a time (while removing a zombie from the board in the process) would be enough to do it. With a maximum of one extra activation at a time, there wouldn't be much threat of a distant Abomination actually landing a hit on a survivor. Adding the possibility of 2-3 extra activations at once- however rare such a possibility might be- should add some real tension to the die rolls, and would add some extra difficulty to help offset the bonus of removing all those extra zombies from the board. Ideally, it would actually make Abominations something to be feared instead of just calmly kited. That's the theory, anyway.

I'm eager to try it out tonight to see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Sort wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
And Dogz?

I only have the base game, so I don't have a lot of ideas on how (or whether) to combine the Hungry Abomination with Dogz, Toxics, or Berserkers. I would be inclined to say "no eating dogs" (too quick and too small to make a decent meal). Maybe have Toxics and Berserkers behave normally, but if an Abomination eats three of a single type, he takes on those properties. If you want to be really unforgiving, make it possible to get Abominations of multiple types- Toxic Berserker Abominations!

ropya wrote:

I wanted to make Abominations much more intimidating, and I don't know if a single extra activation at a time (while removing a zombie from the board in the process) would be enough to do it. With a maximum of one extra activation at a time, there wouldn't be much threat of a distant Abomination actually landing a hit on a survivor. Adding the possibility of 2-3 extra activations at once- however rare such a possibility might be- should add some real tension to the die rolls, and would add some extra difficulty to help offset the bonus of removing all those extra zombies from the board. Ideally, it would actually make Abominations something to be feared instead of just calmly kited. That's the theory, anyway.

I'm eager to try it out tonight to see how it plays.

My prediction is, over numerous plays, you'll find the Aboms gets so many activations that they can easily march across the board and eat all the Survivors, even quite early on in the game.

I agree with ropya that 'roll one die per walker, if you get one or more 6s then remove one walker and give the Abom an extra activation, and repeat' will be more than scary enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's how I was seeing it.
Quite often in our games we end up with 6-10+ walkers in a zone.
Sometimes as many as 20.

If an Abom were to get into a zone like that and roll a stack of 6s......

Not only that, but my thoughts went beyond game play.

Thematically as well.
If he decided to stop and munch on other zombies, at most I could see him eating two.
One in each hand.

Not too mention scarffing down a horde of zombies would take a deal of time.

When you play it let me know how it goes.

My next zcide night is in a couple weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hardin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
ropya wrote:
Yeah, that's how I was seeing it.
Quite often in our games we end up with 6-10+ walkers in a zone.
Sometimes as many as 20.

If an Abom were to get into a zone like that and roll a stack of 6s......

Not only that, but my thoughts went beyond game play.

Thematically as well.
If he decided to stop and munch on other zombies, at most I could see him eating two.
One in each hand.

Not too mention scarffing down a horde of zombies would take a deal of time.

When you play it let me know how it goes.

My next zcide night is in a couple weeks.

I only have the base game, so there are only 40 zombies to go around. I've never seen more than maybe a dozen walkers in a single square, and even that's pretty rare- any more than that and we'd probably be thankful for the Abomination eating some walkers, because he'd be helping avoid extra activations. Most of my games end either in yellow or just a turn or two after hitting orange. In fact, the only scenario I've played where I reached red was "300", where it's kind of unavoidable.

I played two games last night. First we did Zombie Police using the regular rules, and we wound up getting a first turn Abomination entirely by chance. We wound up kiting him the entire game without him ever even landing on a survivor's square (except for one round when Josh decided to move through his zone). We used our ability to choose his path when he had two routes in order to keep him running in circles around the bunker. We all agreed that it was very lame and anti-climatic. I then proposed the new "hungry" addition and we played the scenario again, intentionally putting the Abomination out first turn to see what it did. This time, he wound up eating two walkers and a fatty during the course of the game. The fatty actually helped us out, because the guy with the shotgun was a ways away and we had no immediate way to deal with him. The two extra activations weren't a big deal- he only once managed to land on a square with survivors. The most dice he ever rolled in one go was four, and if he'd gotten two or more hits he would have been giving wounds, but all four came up empty. Despite the fact that he didn't wind up being much (if any) more powerful, those extra dice rolls certainly added a LOT of tension to the game. We felt it was a positive addition, and decided we'd keep the rules in place for a few more games to see if we still liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.