Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Some notes for collectors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I finally completed my collection. Sort of.

I ended up opening 7 booster boxes to get 4 super rares. 3 are unique. So I can sell or trade my duplicate one to get what I'm missing.

I also didn't get one of every rare either. I was missing 2 (forgot which ones) but again trading or selling I can pick up the slack.

I also noticed that there were less of the guys that came in starter packs. Which is good I guess because if you got a start pack you don't want like a million more starter guys (but a million hawkeyes are okay!)

The booster boxes were opened one at a time on various days, so not from a case.

So this is probably your average persons expectations, if you did not buy a case (6 booster boxes which I think comes with 3 SR but I'm not sure I've read different things). However there is always gonna be that guy. My friend for instance hit 5 booster boxes and 0 SRs! And I'm sure there are also people who are 3 for 3 as well.

I'm curious to see what it took to complete your collection. 7 boosters seems like a lot and it actually is a lot, but if I had bought my Super Rares on ebay at the peak of the hype I would have paid $45 to $50 a card just for those 4 cards alone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
limiting to just 2 booster gravity boxes

have 1 super rare

next box is on the way

but that will be it, trading and what not to complete, but not gonna spend more on boosters after this

the starter box has all the starter commons, which you don't find in the boosters
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Right but comes with Starter uncommons.

I've seen people trading about 5 to 7 rares for a super rare and you get 10 from a box, you might want to consider a 3rd box. I've seen people do well with 3 boxes and trade to get most of what they want!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 4 friends, who each bought a case, and each got a complete set. Average cost for each of them was about $285.

I'll get my set later when the madness goes down...hoping for below $200.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Christianson
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
Okay so I finally completed my collection. Sort of.

I ended up opening 7 booster boxes to get 4 super rares. 3 are unique. So I can sell or trade my duplicate one to get what I'm missing.

I also didn't get one of every rare either. I was missing 2 (forgot which ones) but again trading or selling I can pick up the slack.

I also noticed that there were less of the guys that came in starter packs. Which is good I guess because if you got a start pack you don't want like a million more starter guys (but a million hawkeyes are okay!)

The booster boxes were opened one at a time on various days, so not from a case.

So this is probably your average persons expectations, if you did not buy a case (6 booster boxes which I think comes with 3 SR but I'm not sure I've read different things). However there is always gonna be that guy. My friend for instance hit 5 booster boxes and 0 SRs! And I'm sure there are also people who are 3 for 3 as well.

I'm curious to see what it took to complete your collection. 7 boosters seems like a lot and it actually is a lot, but if I had bought my Super Rares on ebay at the peak of the hype I would have paid $45 to $50 a card just for those 4 cards alone.


My two remaining booster boxes have been delivered, I'm just waiting to get off work to open them. That will put me at four boxes total. Hopefully I will get lucky and get two SR's and can trade a bunch of duplicate rares for the missing one, but I won't know for another 6 hours or so. There have been multiple reports that a full case seems to contain a full set. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee even if you order six from an online retailer that you will get all six from the same case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cryptickosh wrote:
StormbringerGT wrote:
Okay so I finally completed my collection. Sort of.

I ended up opening 7 booster boxes to get 4 super rares. 3 are unique. So I can sell or trade my duplicate one to get what I'm missing.

I also didn't get one of every rare either. I was missing 2 (forgot which ones) but again trading or selling I can pick up the slack.

I also noticed that there were less of the guys that came in starter packs. Which is good I guess because if you got a start pack you don't want like a million more starter guys (but a million hawkeyes are okay!)

The booster boxes were opened one at a time on various days, so not from a case.

So this is probably your average persons expectations, if you did not buy a case (6 booster boxes which I think comes with 3 SR but I'm not sure I've read different things). However there is always gonna be that guy. My friend for instance hit 5 booster boxes and 0 SRs! And I'm sure there are also people who are 3 for 3 as well.

I'm curious to see what it took to complete your collection. 7 boosters seems like a lot and it actually is a lot, but if I had bought my Super Rares on ebay at the peak of the hype I would have paid $45 to $50 a card just for those 4 cards alone.


My two remaining booster boxes have been delivered, I'm just waiting to get off work to open them. That will put me at four boxes total. Hopefully I will get lucky and get two SR's and can trade a bunch of duplicate rares for the missing one, but I won't know for another 6 hours or so. There have been multiple reports that a full case seems to contain a full set. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee even if you order six from an online retailer that you will get all six from the same case.


Well at a local store we saw someone sit down with a sealed case from wizkids and pull 3 SRs from it. It could be that SRs are not even set by case even, just your odds of pulling one are 1:120.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarimy Springer
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1164222/who-has-a-complete-s...


Might want to check this thread out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did 2 boxes, got 1 sr, then 4 boxes and got 3 sr's, one duplicate. That gave me enough that I'm in the process of trading for the remaining cards. Strangely enough, I will get to keep my 5th one and be good to go. Will probably buy 6 or more feeds all at once for uncanny xmen assuming similar model/distribution.

I didn't buy any singles. So my cost is $42 * 6.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided to just go with one gravity feed. I'll play some draft style in OP I'm sure, and I'll buy anything else I want from eBay when the costs drop a bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Quan
Canada
flag msg tools
StormbringerGT wrote:
I also noticed that there were less of the guys that came in starter packs. Which is good I guess because if you got a start pack you don't want like a million more starter guys (but a million hawkeyes are okay!)


Actually, the starter characters are all very good play-wise and very desirable. The trick of making all the starter characters uncommon means you'll be struggling to get more of those die unless you go and buy a second starter. Maybe after the reprint arrives that will be feasible but right now with the shortage boosters are the only way to get more of these dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ganon Dad
United States
flag msg tools
rokkon wrote:

my cost is $42 * 6.


A lot of people have been quoting at or close to MSRP for boxes when trying to math out how much they're going to spend on this game. I don't get why, getting boxes for 42 seems pretty easy (even with free shipping some places) and brings a case up to 252. Not much reason to spend more than that on a case. I don't expect them to come down from there, though. Most places are not jacking up the prize on feeds, because they were distributed in reasonable amounts. They'll hover around or just over 40 a box until the first set's cards are cycled out or unviable due to power creep.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganondad wrote:
rokkon wrote:

my cost is $42 * 6.


A lot of people have been quoting at or close to MSRP for boxes when trying to math out how much they're going to spend on this game. I don't get why, getting boxes for 42 seems pretty easy (even with free shipping some places) and brings a case up to 252. Not much reason to spend more than that on a case. I don't expect them to come down from there, though. Most places are not jacking up the prize on feeds, because they were distributed in reasonable amounts. They'll hover around or just over 40 a box until the first set's cards are cycled out or unviable due to power creep.


Dat Power creep. It always comes.

To get a standard metric it is easier for people to compare price points if it is all based on the MSRP. A lot of people are paying $42 sure. But my local store sold through about 30 of the suckers. People are willing to pay more to support their local store.

Basing off the MSRP lets people know how much it would cost of they paid MSRP for everything, then they can math down buying online after they have a base price in sight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganondad wrote:
rokkon wrote:

my cost is $42 * 6.


A lot of people have been quoting at or close to MSRP for boxes when trying to math out how much they're going to spend on this game. I don't get why, getting boxes for 42 seems pretty easy (even with free shipping some places) and brings a case up to 252. Not much reason to spend more than that on a case. I don't expect them to come down from there, though. Most places are not jacking up the prize on feeds, because they were distributed in reasonable amounts. They'll hover around or just over 40 a box until the first set's cards are cycled out or unviable due to power creep.


Not everyone bought them online. Many CCG players like to buy a box right at the store and open the boosters right then and there. Also, not everyone has $60 to buy a whole box...so they would just buy 10 packs here, and 10 packs there. It's all part of the enjoyment of opening collectible boosters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually got a whole set with 2 boxes and trading. I was lucky that i had some friends to trade with, but i also made a bunch for trades online. Then I had to buy 3 rares and 1 SR on ebay. All in all I think after 2 boxes, opening another for the chance at specific 10 or so rares and hopfully 1-3 SR seems to be wasteful.

this is my opinion but i think you will save much more money if you just go to the secondary market after 2 boxes, buy the singles and sell your doubles. Worked for me and i drew 0 SR out of my 2 boxes so i can imagine it being easier and cheaper for those who got 1-2 of them
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude those probably were some epic trades. If you managed to trade for 3 super rares and 10 or so rares. I mean dang dude. That probably left you with one of every card at the end. Well played!

You only have 20 Rares to use as trade bait, not even a complete set of uncommons and 2 complete set of commons.

You turned that into:
29 Commons
33 Uncommons
29 Rares
4 Super Rares

Hopefully more than 1 of every dice or you are gonna need some dice.

Either you are a master of trading, you traded with nine year old kids, or you this internet truth. Hats off to you in any case!

I would say this is the exception as oppose to the norm, what the average collector will expect trying to complete his collection.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
Dude those probably were some epic trades. If you managed to trade for 3 super rares and 10 or so rares. I mean dang dude. That probably left you with one of every card at the end. Well played!

You only have 20 Rares to use as trade bait, not even a complete set of uncommons and 2 complete set of commons.

You turned that into:
29 Commons
33 Uncommons
29 Rares
4 Super Rares

Hopefully more than 1 of every dice or you are gonna need some dice.

Either you are a master of trading, you traded with nine year old kids, or you this internet truth. Hats off to you in any case!

I would say this is the exception as oppose to the norm, what the average collector will expect trying to complete his collection.



I did take advantage of the early secondary market. I sold 2 complete common sets which i dont think is possible to do next set.

I also traded in mass amounts. Like 20 dice and a ton of commons and ncommons for SR and stuff. But yeah i was pretty lucky with trading

You know what they say, "Takes money to make money"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 complete common sets sold, trading mass of 20 dice, and you had some left over for your collection? Well played!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.