Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Smash! Basic Action Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Smash! to knock out a level 1 character. That character has the ability to be spun up to level 2.

My understanding is when you declare you are doing something there is no "stack", so it happens. So in response to Smash I couldn't spin my character up? FYI, I don't have any cards in front of me, so I don't have a good example of a card that would do this.

Since it is an action I would never be the active player in this scenario (I don't think). Since you can't have available action dice when it isn't your turn.

EDIT: Secondly lets say I use the Smash! global to pay a fist energy and have Iron Man Playboy deal no damage. But then he gets blocked. I am assuming his Ability 3 damage is a separate instance of damage and I would have to pay another fist energy to prevent that damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
I use Smash! to knock out a level 1 character. That character has the ability to be spun up to level 2.

My understanding is when you declare you are doing something there is no "stack", so it happens. So in response to Smash I couldn't spin my character up? FYI, I don't have any cards in front of me, so I don't have a good example of a card that would do this.

Since it is an action I would never be the active player in this scenario (I don't think). Since you can't have available action dice when it isn't your turn.

The rules seem to read as though there is some form of 'the stack' as the attacked gets to use an action die first, then the defender can respond.
-D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Briggs
msg tools
If you're redirecting or canceling you can interrupt. I don't believe either applies in this situation.

And, no you don't have to pay twice as effects last until the end of the turn, unless otherwise specified. Plus, Smash targets a blocked character.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
I use Smash! to knock out a level 1 character. That character has the ability to be spun up to level 2.

My understanding is when you declare you are doing something there is no "stack", so it happens. So in response to Smash I couldn't spin my character up? FYI, I don't have any cards in front of me, so I don't have a good example of a card that would do this.

Since it is an action I would never be the active player in this scenario (I don't think). Since you can't have available action dice when it isn't your turn.


This is all correct. You can not interrupt the resolution on an effect except with something the prevents or redirects (or reduces I'm guessing). So the only thing that can save a level 1 character is Spiderman's Tiger and that can only save himself.

Quote:

EDIT: Secondly lets say I use the Smash! global to pay a fist energy and have Iron Man Playboy deal no damage. But then he gets blocked. I am assuming his Ability 3 damage is a separate instance of damage and I would have to pay another fist energy to prevent that damage.


I would say that effects last until the end of the turn unless other wise specified so Iron Man's ability also deals no damage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Martin
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It says very clearly in the rule book that in ANY instance of 2 players wanting to resolve an action the active player gets priority. so if he played smash (making him the active player) then you would have no time to play an effect that changes the state of the die. you could still use an action after it happened but not in response.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath K
United States
Sabina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fleshpuppet wrote:
It says very clearly in the rule book that in ANY instance of 2 players wanting to resolve an action the active player gets priority. so if he played smash (making him the active player) then you would have no time to play an effect that changes the state of the die. you could still use an action after it happened but not in response.


Be careful here. Using an effect doesn't make you the active player. When it is your turn, you are the active player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fat Jesus wrote:
Be careful here. Using an effect doesn't make you the active player. When it is your turn, you are the active player.


In the Cleanup Step, unused actions are moved to the Used Pile. So I think that would almost force the assumption that the active player is the one using the action die, no?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath K
United States
Sabina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p13th0r4 wrote:
In the Cleanup Step, unused actions are moved to the Used Pile. So I think that would almost force the assumption that the active player is the one using the action die, no?


Action dice are moved to the used at the end of your turn. The only player with action dice would be the current active player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.