Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Starting a game business- Company or LLC? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Scott
msg tools
I will begin self production of a board game soon. I'm not sure if I need to register as a company or an LLC.

Do board game manufacturers ever get sued? Would I be better off registering a limited liability company?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest LLC. It's the most cost effective way of incorporating for smaller businesses. And they can get sued, but it's probably an uncommon event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An LLC is a a company, so what's the question?

I suggest taking a look at the SBA website and once you are ready to incorporate if you choose to do so it's always a good idea to consult a lawyer.

e business structure you choose will have legal and tax implications. Learn about the different types of business structures and find the one best suited for your business.

Sole Proprietorship

A sole proprietorship is the most basic type of business to establish. You alone own the company and are responsible for its assets and liabilities. Learn more about the sole proprietor structure.

Limited Liability Company

An LLC is designed to provide the limited liability features of a corporation and the tax efficiencies and operational flexibility of a partnership. Learn more about how LLCs are structured.

Cooperative

People form cooperatives to meet a collective need or to provide a service that benefits all member-owners. Learn more about how cooperatives are structured.

Corporation

A corporation is more complex and generally suggested for larger, established companies with multiple employees. Learn more about how Corporations are structured.

Partnership

There are several different types of partnerships, which depend on the nature of the arrangement and partner responsibility for the business. Learn more about how these are structured.

S Corporation

An S corporation is similar to a C corporation but you are taxed only on the personal level. Learn more about how S corporations are structured.

Why would you need to set up a company though to self publish?

What do you mean by that exactly?

You could have a print and play game or print on demand game which is one form of self publishing, you wouldn't really need to set up a company to do that.

Or are you planning on contacting a manufacturer, and then raising money for the game and having an initial print run made say, 1000+ copies and then plan to sell those online, at conventions, etc

Most people as a single person operation likely start out as an LLC, but really this is something you should discuss with a lawyer and CPA to see what's best for your particular situation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Scott
msg tools
>>Why would you need to set up a company though to self publish?

>>What do you mean by that exactly?

By publishing I mean there will be a website with game details and CC ordering. I will be manufacturing the game myself. Most of the parts will be crafted from wood. The box and printed components as well as beads and poker chips will be supplied to me. I will package the games and ship them myself.

I just assumed I would need a business license of some sort to do this, either sole proprietor or LLC. I think the lawyer idea is good and will consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No you don't need a business license, but I do suggest you get an LLC. An LLC will provide you with protection. In case something goes bad, it will be your company at fault and not you personally. Think an LLC as a shield, an alter ego that you operate under (like an online handle). Do speak with a lawyer though, they can explain it much better than we can over here for the most part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
LLC is the way you want to go, but as always consult with your accountant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Scott
msg tools
Okay guys, thanks for the replies. Sounds like a LLC is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.