Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules...
A wounded character loses his special abilities, unless otherwise specified, and may not perform any action (ie cannot move). (pg 19)

If a character exits the labyrinth while carrying a wounded, the wounded character is rescued (removed from the game) and therefore cannot be killed by the opponent, but he does not earn the player any VP. (pg 21)

It just seems like this could create a stalemate quite often since the only thing that can heal is the Cleric.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wounded characters are effectively fodder for elimination, but that doesn't create a stalemate--it just means that absent a cleric, you evac your wounded if you can and give them up for lost if you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
areeves wrote:
A wounded character loses his special abilities, unless otherwise specified, and may not perform any action (ie cannot move). (pg 19)

If a character exits the labyrinth while carrying a wounded, the wounded character is rescued (removed from the game) and therefore cannot be killed by the opponent, but he does not earn the player any VP. (pg 21)

It just seems like this could create a stalemate quite often since the only thing that can heal is the Cleric.

You're missing that escape isn't the only way to score points.

You can also kill wounded characters to score points - and wounded characters have a combat strength of zero (plus combat cards).

So on my turn, my Troll attacks your Wizard. Troll wins. Wizard becomes wounded.

On your turn, your Wizard can't do anything. You might be able to get someone there to pick him up and get him away from my Troll, but if you can't, then on my NEXT turn, my Troll attacks your Wizard again. Troll wins. Wizard is killed and I score a point.

No stalemate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, carrying a wounded and making him exit deny your opponent a victory point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
areeves wrote:

You're missing that escape isn't the only way to score points.

You can also kill wounded characters to score points - and wounded characters have a combat strength of zero (plus combat cards).

So on my turn, my Troll attacks your Wizard. Troll wins. Wizard becomes wounded.

On your turn, your Wizard can't do anything. You might be able to get someone there to pick him up and get him away from my Troll, but if you can't, then on my NEXT turn, my Troll attacks your Wizard again. Troll wins. Wizard is killed and I score a point.

No stalemate.

Thanks for the reply! I get that killing am enemy also gives VP. Maybe stalemate wasn't the right term or idea I was trying to convey. If one of your characters get wounded what options are left for you to get VP?
For example in tutorial 1 2vs2 win with 2VP. If one of your characters is wounded you can't win. I know there is no battle in that tutorial, but I can see the situation come up in other scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Basically, carrying a wounded and making him exit deny your opponent a victory point.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
areeves wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I get that killing am enemy also gives VP. Maybe stalemate wasn't the right term or idea I was trying to convey. If one of your characters get wounded what options are left for you to get VP?
For example in tutorial 1 2vs2 win with 2VP. If one of your characters is wounded you can't win. I know there is no battle in that tutorial, but I can see the situation come up in other scenarios.

Since the full game uses more characters than the tutorials, it's really a nonissue. Most of the time, the loss of one character only slows you down a bit. And, of course, you can inflict the same on them.

The tutorials are there so you can learn how specific parts of the game work. Because of this, the feel of them is actually different from the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.