Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
314 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: May Trades Bring June Closet Space - A May 2014 U.S.-only Math Trade DISCUSSION rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the link to the math trade itself - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/173134/may-trades-brin...

Have fun, ladies and gentlemen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Deadline to add games: 8:00 PM Eastern Time on Sunday, May 11, 2014
Want Lists Due: 8:00 PM Eastern Time on Thursday, May 15, 2014
Results Posted: As soon as I possibly can after the want lists are due on May 15 or 16, 2014

argh, a two week long format?? most folks add their items either at the start or mad rush at the end... and 4 days to submit want lists...

too long format for me but have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Quote:
Results Posted: As soon as I possibly can after the want lists are due on May 15 or 16, 2014

argh, a two week long format?? most folks add their items either at the start or mad rush at the end... and 4 days to submit want lists...

I have missed WAAAAAAAYYYY too many math trades because the time window was short. I've missed out on probably half of the math trades I would have participated in because of their brevity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
I have missed WAAAAAAAYYYY too many math trades because the time window was short. I've missed out on probably half of the math trades I would have participated in because of their brevity.

I would have liked to have gotten in the April Showers MT, but missed it by 2 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
trenttsd wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
Quote:

Considering you're running this one, I don't think you would miss out on it if it were shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:

I've missed out on ones that I submitted games to because the want list window wasn't long enough.

If there's going to be this long trade, considering how massive these have become, I would have much preferred splitting the two weeks evenly.

Regardless of those .02 cents, thank you for running another trade Trent! It's never possible to please everybody and we all appreciate the time you invest in making these happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This trade is showing up as a NO-SHIP Math Trade....Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting how many copies of Eclipse keep showing up in these math trades. Has this game already run it's course of popularity? I know I played it twice and that was enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
Interesting how many copies of Eclipse keep showing up in these math trades. Has this game already run it's course of popularity? I know I played it twice and that was enough for me.

It was clearanced out at Barnes and noble and then was a lightnig deal on amazon at the holidays, so a number of folks picked up multiple copies in the hopes of trading them or profiting. Since then there have been a very large number of them in each math trade I have been a part of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James vanRosmalen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I am considering putting up my Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures game and expansions and was just wondering how to best group/value them. Here is what I have:

Base Game
Millenium Falcon Expansion
Slave I Expansion
Tie Advanced Expansion
A-Wing Expansion

I am not really interested in a lot of high end or super obscure games (at least i don't consider them that). I would be happy scoring the Lords of Waterdeep Scoundrels of Skullport Expansion, Letters from Whitechapel or something of similar value... although I feel like my entire lot is worth more than those.

Advice on how to divide it up so that it makes sense? Maybe keep the Millennium Falcon and Slave I expansions as a group set?

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
dutchgenius wrote:
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I am considering putting up my Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures game and expansions and was just wondering how to best group/value them. Here is what I have:

Base Game
Millenium Falcon Expansion
Slave I Expansion
Tie Advanced Expansion
A-Wing Expansion

I am not really interested in a lot of high end or super obscure games (at least i don't consider them that). I would be happy scoring the Lords of Waterdeep Scoundrels of Skullport Expansion, Letters from Whitechapel or something of similar value... although I feel like my entire lot is worth more than those.

Advice on how to divide it up so that it makes sense? Maybe keep the Millennium Falcon and Slave I expansions as a group set?

Thanks for the help.

good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
angela minton

mystic
Connecticut
msg tools
so.. i have no clue how to do one of these things and ive missed them all. and i dont want to miss this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thornhill
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aminton wrote:
so.. i have no clue how to do one of these things and ive missed them all. and i dont want to miss this one.

This video series really helped me out for my first trade:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/568078/math-trade-video-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spiegel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely prefer MTs with a shorter turn-around time but that's just my personal preference. Regardless, I'll still be participating in this one. Thank you Trent for running this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clinty76 wrote:
This trade is showing up as a NO-SHIP Math Trade....Is that correct?

quick bump for this comment, as I am wondering the same thing.

Kinda long in my opinion, but I'm on many times a day looking at games and such, so I don't miss much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
trade geeklist header wrote:
All shipping costs are covered by the person listing the item. However, this is a U.S. only math trade. You must have a U.S. address to receive games. There will be no international shipping of items. The only way a non-U.S. user may participate is if they're requesting digital-only items such as geekgold or gift certificates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last few US math trades have, I think, all started out listed on OLWLG as "no ship". I have no idea how a math trade gets added to OLWLG so I don't know if this is the moderator's fault, a badly designed web page or Jeff's fault.

In any case, this is obviously a shipping math trade, regardless of how it is classified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
First off... a little plea:

Quote:
Any games not in shrink should be fully inventoried, and any missing components - including inserts - listed in the entry.

In nearly every math trade I've been in, I've received an incomplete game. I know it's a hassle to count components for a game you're hoping to get rid of... but sending out an incomplete game forces the recipient to either just deal with the disappointment or else be the bad guy and complain.

So, please inventory your games. Pretty please?

Second... a little poll, hoping to get some anonymous data:

Poll
For those of you who have received at least 10 games in math trades, what percentage of those games were incomplete?
1. For those of you who have received at least 10 games in math trades, roughly what percentage of those games were incomplete?
0% - never received an incomplete game
1% - about 1 out of every 100 games is incomplete
2.5% - about 1 out of every 40 games is incomplete
5% - about 1 out of every 20 games is incomplete
10% - about 1 out of every 10 games is incomplete
>10% - I've had reallllly bad luck
2. Bonus Question: What about the accuracy of the description of the game's condition?
0% - all games have been accurately described
1% - 1 out of 100 were in worse condition than described
2.5% - 1 out of 40 were in worse condition than described
5% - 1 out of 20 were in worse condition than described
10% - 1 out of 10 were in worse condition than described
20% - 1 out of 5 were in worse condition than described
>20% - a lot of bad luck here
      99 answers
Poll created by DigitalMan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless a game is massively out of print, if you receive a game that's missing one or two pieces, you can contact the publisher and they'll usually hook you up. If it's way out of print, though, you're probably out of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse the Fourth
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, would anyone be interested in JUST the collectible tin for Quarriors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sautman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know the significance of why when you view the offered games on OLWLG, some of the geeklist numbers have a light green background behind them? For instance I own Small World and Arkham Horror, but they have the green background behind the corresponding item number. (The game titles are highlighted in blue to show that I own them still). Furthermore, when I click on the magnifying glass to see which items are wanted by me, all of the Small World and Arkham Horror items are displayed. I checked both the Small World and Arkham Horror entries to confirm that I only have them checked as owned and not wanted. I also resynched OLWLG twice, yet these games keep showing up when I try to view only those that I want.

Seems to be a bug with the latest OLWLG update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
First off... a little plea:

Quote:
Any games not in shrink should be fully inventoried, and any missing components - including inserts - listed in the entry.

In nearly every math trade I've been in, I've received an incomplete game. I know it's a hassle to count components for a game you're hoping to get rid of... but sending out an incomplete game forces the recipient to either just deal with the disappointment or else be the bad guy and complain.

So, please inventory your games. Pretty please?

For me, it's been condition more than completion. Most people say like new or excellent, and the game will have obvious, but usually minor, issues. I have received many games this way in trades, math trades or normal trades. I don't consider myself overly picky about these things, so, if it's a game I end up keeping, no big deal. But if I ever end up trading the game, I have to list those issues.

People in general need to be better about describing condition. If you don't note anything, then the game should have no damage beyond normal wear, like on shuffled cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think different people have drastically different views of condition. Some consider anything better than a half-eaten box with disintegrated cards to be perfectly fine when trading for a used game. Others won't feel that way. If you're trading for used games, I think some caveat emptor needs to apply and in future math trades just avoid the person who has a different definition than you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Pearon
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
I think different people have drastically different views of condition. Some consider anything better than a half-eaten box with disintegrated cards to be perfectly fine when trading for a used game. Others won't feel that way. If you're trading for used games, I think some caveat emptor needs to apply and in future math trades just avoid the person who has a different definition than you.

I always thought the BGG Condition descriptions applied in trades as well as the marketplace. Do they not? It would be a very easy to way to be sure we are all the same definitions if they applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Mazza
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zautman wrote:
Does anyone know the significance of why when you view the offered games on OLWLG, some of the geeklist numbers have a light green background behind them? For instance I own Small World and Arkham Horror, but they have the green background behind the corresponding item number. (The game titles are highlighted in blue to show that I own them still). Furthermore, when I click on the magnifying glass to see which items are wanted by me, all of the Small World and Arkham Horror items are displayed. I checked both the Small World and Arkham Horror entries to confirm that I only have them checked as owned and not wanted. I also resynched OLWLG twice, yet these games keep showing up when I try to view only those that I want.

Seems to be a bug with the latest OLWLG update.

Same here. For me Dominion (item #512) and Dominion:Black Market (#820) both show up under the Magnifying Glass even though I own both and have neither listed as wanted. I have no wanted items in #370 and #752, but they show up with green in the 'Step 3' tab, but not the Magnifying Glass. Maybe its a bug relating to expansions or promos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.