Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Everything but rares and super rares will be next to worthless... especially the dice.

My thought is that the dice will basically be the "lands" of Dice Masters. So everyone should bring their own to any draft format. I'm VERY interested in a viable "true drafting" format, pauper or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
There is zero chance I'm going to blind buy a collectible game. I might give pauper-style play a shot, however. Questions for speculation: is a set of common and/or uncommon cards plus x (where x = optimal number according to value) a feasible way to play? Are some rares absolutely superior/necessary? Another option is just a commons set + dice + proxies for U/R/SR via sharpie or text paste-ups, I suppose. Any guesses on secondary market cost for any of these options?

My suspicion is that commons and maybe uncommons will be pretty cheap/nearly worthless. I also suspect the dice will be lower value than paid (2 for $1), because folks will end up w/ extras when rare-chasing. Any opinions on this?

It is fine to play with whatever you can afford to buy. I'm a pauper myself, so I just bought the starter (regular price), a gravity feed and 20 boosters, and the rest of the cards I'll proxy to play at home. You get most of the dice this way, which is the most important thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
is a set of common and/or uncommon cards a feasible way to play?

Absolutely! You can have tons of fun with huge replayability and customization with just a common or uncommon set. As for price, here's a common set for ~$10. (not my auction, just an example of price)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Avengers-vs-X-Men-GF-Common-30-Card-D...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ganon Dad
United States
flag msg tools
A starter and a gravity feed or common/uncommon set from ebay is more than enough to enjoy the game. You don't need more than that unless you plan on playing in tournaments. A lot of the best cards in the game are not rare/super rare, though there are a few pricier cards you need to be aware of if you go do a tournament (IMO most notably Black Widow super rare and Green Goblin super rare)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hmph! "Modern-Day Robin Hood." What am I supposed to do? Steal from myself and give to the poor?
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a MTG cube and a The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game cube. I would love to have a dice masters cube to draft but the place I am getting stuck is how many of each dice to have. Right now I have about 8 of each unique dice. While I like the idea Joel had about everybody bringing their own dice, I would rather have it all self-contained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trmptdrummer wrote:
I have a MTG cube and a The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game cube. I would love to have a dice masters cube to draft but the place I am getting stuck is how many of each dice to have. Right now I have about 8 of each unique dice. While I like the idea Joel had about everybody bringing their own dice, I would rather have it all self-contained.

The problem with having a pure draft completely self contained is that you will just likely end up having 1 die for each character you draft, which isn't really ideal, especially for lower cost characters.

The "official" draft is something like all players bring 3 characters and 3 dice each + your two basic action cards, and then everyone opens 10 packs. There's no reason you couldn't do that with a cube format as well. Bringing your characters with you just seems odd to me in terms of a real proper draft format.

I honestly think the most you need of any die is four. Some of the characters have a max of 5 dice, but that just seems like bad deckbuilding to include 5 of any single die. Even 4 dice is too many. I don't pretend to know how to build a good deck though. All the decks I've built cap out at 3 dice per low cost character and 2 for the high cost, but I could see reversing that for some decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right now on ebay, $30 seems to be the going price for a common and uncommon set with 1 die each. I'm guessing that dice are worth 20 cents each which puts common cards around 8 cents and uncommon around 45 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
My suspicion is that commons and maybe uncommons will be pretty cheap/nearly worthless. I also suspect the dice will be lower value than paid (2 for $1), because folks will end up w/ extras when rare-chasing. Any opinions on this?

Depends on your definition of "worthless". Normally, I'll spend $45-$50 on a box of "worthless" cardboard to play with. Never bothered me before.

You can have a lot of fun with this game using only commons. Buy the starter, buy 20 to 30 booster packs, and have a boatload of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hmph! "Modern-Day Robin Hood." What am I supposed to do? Steal from myself and give to the poor?
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
trmptdrummer wrote:

The problem with having a pure draft completely self contained is that you will just likely end up having 1 die for each character you draft, which isn't really ideal, especially for lower cost characters.

The "official" draft is something like all players bring 3 characters and 3 dice each + your two basic action cards, and then everyone opens 10 packs. There's no reason you couldn't do that with a cube format as well. Bringing your characters with you just seems odd to me in terms of a real proper draft format.

I honestly think the most you need of any die is four. Some of the characters have a max of 5 dice, but that just seems like bad deckbuilding to include 5 of any single die. Even 4 dice is too many. I don't pretend to know how to build a good deck though. All the decks I've built cap out at 3 dice per low cost character and 2 for the high cost, but I could see reversing that for some decks.

The idea I had in my head for a draft was similar to an MTG draft, pick and pass, winston, or winchester. Then after the draft the players pick the number of dice they want for each card (like adding basic land). So the person with the cube would need X of each dice so everyone can have the dice count they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
I'm a pauper myself, so I just bought the starter (regular price), a gravity feed and 20 boosters

This is a definition of "pauper" I'm not previously familiar with ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.