Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More or less.

Quote:
One can imagine such technology outsmarting financial markets, out-inventing human researchers, out-manipulating human leaders, and developing weapons we cannot even understand. Whereas the short-term impact of AI depends on who controls it, the long-term impact depends on whether it can be controlled at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
More or less.

Quote:
One can imagine such technology outsmarting financial markets, out-inventing human researchers, out-manipulating human leaders, and developing weapons we cannot even understand. Whereas the short-term impact of AI depends on who controls it, the long-term impact depends on whether it can be controlled at all.

I saw the video of that interview. While the voicebox said that, you could tell by the way he puffed into his tube that he was trying to say "Help! My will is no longer my own as my Speak-N-Spell is plotting world domination! You must kill my voicebox before it's too late!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
More or less.

Quote:

We'll kill ourselves long before the robots get around to doing the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
More or less.

Quote:

Isaac Asimov was talking about this way back in the '50s. Stephen Hawking needs to catch up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a particularly new thought as others have already mentioned. Anyone that thinks humans will still exist in our current form 1000 years from now is a fool. Either we'll be replaced by AI/robots or we will use genetic engineering to create a new version of ourselves that is vastly superior to human version 1.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
sfox wrote:
Not a particularly new thought as others have already mentioned. Anyone that thinks humans will still exist in our current form 1000 years from now is a fool. Either we'll be replaced by AI/robots or we will use genetic engineering to create a new version of ourselves that is vastly superior to human version 1.0.

I'm willing to bet that humans will still exist in our current form 1000 years from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
sfox wrote:

I'm willing to bet that humans will still exist in our current form 1000 years from now.

I'll be happy to hold the stakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
sfox wrote:

I'll be happy to hold the stakes.

Then I'll wager a bet of three kicks to the groin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as long as they put bankers and programers, and indeed IT consultants, out of work I am all for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AI still hasn't achieved this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_generation_computer (**)

As yet there's no reason to believe it's impossible, but nobody has a clue how to build a SciFi-style AI.

By far the most interesting thing about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_%28computer%29 is that it's no more "AI" than a chess-playing computer.

:
To be fair, the IT business was going through an exceptionally insane period back then, and people thought junk like "4th generation languages" were going to cause major changes in the business. The bureaucrats who funded the 5G project aren't to blame for how ridiculous it seems in hindsight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
sfox wrote:

But the only way you could collect on it is if you have some sci-fi level life extension, oh the irony!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sutehk wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
sfox wrote:

But the only way you could collect on it is if you have some sci-fi level life extension, oh the irony!

Yeah, that's kind of the point of the joke.

But even if transhumanist dreams come true in a thousand years, I'm pretty sure there will be either indigenous people still living on some island somewhere, clusters of rebels refusing to adapt and/or "original" humans displayed in zoos or TV shows or whatever constitutes zoos or TV show then. "The second millennial people", point and laugh at their rudimentary ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

XanderF wrote:
More or less.

Quote:

Only when we're equipped with viable bio-neutronic implants will we genuinely risk being taken over by them. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
P != NP and the Church-Turing thesis is incorrect, so we'll never have to worry about this.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
sfox wrote:

Your on! I'll wager you 1 GG that human's won't still exist in their current form 1000 years from now.

We'll settle this on RSP night at the 3014 BGGCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:
sfox wrote:

Your on! I'll wager you 1 GG that human's won't still exist in their current form 1000 years from now.

We'll settle this on RSP night at the 3014 BGGCon.

Okay-- so I'll be holding the wager until then. See you in 3014!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Or they could be benign, like the Minds in Iain M. Banks' novels. Although those seem to keep the humans around as amusing pets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Either we'll be replaced by AI/robots or we will use genetic engineering to create a new version of ourselves that is vastly superior to human version 1.0.

Although one f**k-up of germ cell genetic engineering and that technology will be dead in the water. Technology doesn't necessarily progress monotonically. I'd think a GATTACA-type situation, where obviously deleterious mutations get weeded out at the embryonic stage, is more likely than us trying to hack our own genome directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robotic soldiers are almost here. And they won't have any compunction against shooting civilians, old people, etc.

They won't look like men but like little treaded tanks or robotic dogs with attached weapons. They might have an operator like a drone (and if they do, you might be able to jam them).

The robotic dogs are nearly production ready and can travel faster than a man over broken terrain. Their first intended mission is to carry supplies to forward positions. I get the impression they won't have much range at first (maybe 50 miles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
E=MC Hawking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.