Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The Dark Valley» Forums » Rules

Subject: ZOC effects for movement involving Sviet 5-4 Rifle army rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
6.2 "Units may not move directly from one ZOC to another during movement. [Exceptions: In Supply German Mechanized units that begin their move in
the ZOC of only a Soviet 5-4 Rifle army (or armies) may move directly to another hex solely in the ZOC of a Rifle army (or armies), but must then halt."
So, if I understand that: German mech units can NOT move directly from one ZOC to another during movement if they're facing something OTHER than a Soviet 5-4 Rifle army say a Soviet mech inf unit). But, if the unit gets replaced or upgraded (somehow), then the German mech unit actually improves in it's abilities to move from ZOC?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted raicer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I'm not I'm following: when 5-4 rifle armies are traded in for 14-5 Guards Rifle Armies, the panzers can't move through the ZOC of that Guard army. The capability exists with ZOCs only from 5-4 armies. (Soviet Tank Armies can move 1 hex with all Axis ZOCs.)

Ted
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thanks for your reply.

For my example, I was positing that the German mech was in the ZOC of a unit that was not a rile army (for instance, a soviet mech infantry)

If that's the case, then the German mech wouldn't be able to move to another ZOC.

Buf if we have the German mech in the ZOC of a Soviet 5-4 rifle army, THEN suddenly it can move to another ZOC. This I found odd: any unit that's less quality than a 5-4 rifle army (and has ZOC), and the German mech can't move to another ZOC. But once we have the 5-4 rifle army there, then the German mech CAN move to another ZOC.

But then, maybe this is all built into the game in a way that's not spelled out in rules. There's a WHOLE lot of unit chits in this game, and I don't know half of them. I'm just going by the rulebook, and it seemed odd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bignickel wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

For my example, I was positing that the German mech was in the ZOC of a unit that was not a rile army (for instance, a soviet mech infantry)

If that's the case, then the German mech wouldn't be able to move to another ZOC.

Buf if we have the German mech in the ZOC of a Soviet 5-4 rifle army, THEN suddenly it can move to another ZOC. This I found odd: any unit that's less quality than a 5-4 rifle army (and has ZOC), and the German mech can't move to another ZOC. But once we have the 5-4 rifle army there, then the German mech CAN move to another ZOC.

But then, maybe this is all built into the game in a way that's not spelled out in rules. There's a WHOLE lot of unit chits in this game, and I don't know half of them. I'm just going by the rulebook, and it seemed odd.


You missed the fact the smaller units (than a 5-4) do not have a ZOC at all so all German units of any type can move right past them with impunity.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Is that in the rulebook?

Also, the Russian Soviet mech inf is 'smaller' than the army; it's a corp.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bignickel wrote:
Is that in the rulebook?

Also, the Russian Soviet mech inf is 'smaller' than the army; it's a corp.


You better check the ZOC rules. No most Mech units are not smaller than a 5-4 (I was referring to strength not organizational size). Most units (referring to raw numbers here) do not have a ZOC. ZOCs are precious in this game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
billyboy wrote:
bignickel wrote:
Is that in the rulebook?

Also, the Russian Soviet mech inf is 'smaller' than the army; it's a corp.


You better check the ZOC rules. No most Mech units are not smaller than a 5-4 (I was referring to strength not organizational size). Most units (referring to raw numbers here) do not have a ZOC. ZOCs are precious in this game.

correct 1-4 got no ZOC for example
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted raicer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Of the 1941 mechanized corps, only those with a strength of 5 or 6 have a ZOC.

Ted
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.