Subject: helping a newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriele Arra
Italy
Trapani
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, im a total noob of warhammer 40k and i want to play this amazing game.I love the space marine, dark templars especially, and i want an army that is well balanced and can use differents attack's pattern (long range, mid range and close range) and i dont know if the dark templars have this characteristics(in alternative give me an advice of another space marine factions).

Well and now the second part:can you post me a good army of the faction that i wrote above that is not too expensive?

...and finally the third part: can you give some advice of good online shop where i can buy with a good discount the bits that i need?(a european one if possible, cause i live in italy and the expedition price from USA are very expensive)

if you survive until this point,i will give you a big thankslaugh! and sorry for my bad english blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Guard are my favorite in fluff and on the table...

But EVERY army is now stupidly expensive to collect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play Space Marines, I'm an Ork and Tyranid players.

But my best advice is simply to start by buying models that you want to build and play. Proxy a few squads and see what plays well for you because evryone plays a different game.

therealtheshader wrote:
Imperial Guard are my favorite in fluff and on the table...

But EVERY army is now stupidly expensive to collect.

Expense is down to perspective, I find 40K quite reasonable. But then I moved to 40K to have a cheaper game than CMGs.

Personally I just buy direct from GW stores so can't really recommend any online stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Bartertown - it's a site for buying and trading models. You can get some great deals (I got about $2000 worth of Eldar for under $500 there by being patient and picking up deals).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
Buy on eBay and strip paint. Cheap bypass of GW's ultrapricings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Arra
Italy
Trapani
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
Buy on eBay and strip paint. Cheap bypass of GW's ultrapricings...

What do you mean with "stip paints"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He means remove the original paint and repaint it yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
To elaborate: soaking models in Dettol (or Simple Green, anything of that ilk with pine oil in it) will lift off water-based paints. Simply soak the models for a day or so, then scrub with an old toothbrush. Beware! Do not rinse them with water until the paint is all gone, or you'll end up with a big sticky painty mess.

The above works perfectly for metal models, which are practically indestructible, and for plastics, so long as you're careful not to leave them soaking for too long. Do so, and the detail will soften. I would be very dubious trying this with resin models, however. Indeed I would avoid GW's 'Finecast' resin miniatures like the plague in any case, unless you consider yourself competent fixing holes with kneadatite or patient enough to go through umpteen returns to get a good cast.

The good thing about Space Marines, however, is that their plastic range is large enough to build an army without resins. Beyond that, my suggestion would be that if you want good advice as a beginner, would be to go to http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Moutain
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
Check out Bartertown - it's a site for buying and trading models. You can get some great deals (I got about $2000 worth of Eldar for under $500 there by being patient and picking up deals).

That is unbelievable that you got it that price. kudos to you.

My area sells the models around 50% of retail price. which is high considering they are older models as well. And some of them are in terrible condition.

... and the website stated is probably a good place to start getting info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.