The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: We Must Away, Ere Break of Day: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools

These Trolls are kicking my ass. I am trying to run this quest with a thematic Dwarf deck with Thorin Oakenshield, Bifur and Nori playing normal mode with shadow cards. Even when I have a good selection of Allys when the trolls show up I get smashed bad. Do all three of the following troll special criteria take effect as soon as you start stage 2B?
Bert: Players cannot play attachment cards on Troll enemies.
William: Troll enemies not engaged with a player cannot take damage.
Tom: Troll enemies can only be attacked by one character at a time.

Seems like it would take forever to kill these guys if you can only attack one character at a time as that means most Allys can’t do even one damage to these trolls and and only a few Heroes can even do 1 to 2 damage a single phase. Doing the math it would take at least 10 full phases to kill even two of these three named. I attack any of them in the staging area or even damage them in the staging area from Gandalf’s 4 damage option.

Could really use some suggestions on this quest.
My deck is built from Core set, both Hobbit saga’s, Mirkwood cycle and Khaza-Dom expansion (don’t have all the AP’s to that yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i found out you can quest past the trolls other day! missed that 1st time, theirs a trash the encounter deck type power on the stage for over questing, you have to quest for about 20-25ish though..

do you have that dwarf that gains + attack per dwarf ( might be kaz dum expansion) not very thematic as hes not a Story dwarf but he kicks toll behind! with a load of dwarf heros and allies ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Milarky wrote:
i found out you can quest past the trolls other day! missed that 1st time, theirs a trash the encounter deck type power on the stage for over questing, you have to quest for about 20-25ish though..

Where does it say that?

do you have that dwarf that gains + attack per dwarf ( might be kaz dum expansion) not very thematic as hes not a Story dwarf but he kicks toll behind! with a load of dwarf heros and allies ..

I think you mean the Hardy Leadership attachment from Shadow and Flame but I don't have that yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, all the passive abilities of the trolls become active as soon as they enter play.

I may be not the most experienced player with this quest but I have beaten it about three times after it crushed me horribly in my first attempts. I was playing two-handed solo which I guess is quite a bit easier when it comes to the showdown with the trolls. On the other hand I just used heroes from the Hobbit story (even if Beorn fighting the trolls is not thematically correct) and my decks didn't overly depend on power combos. Nothing really fancy and it was still doable.

Some tips from which i remember:

First you need to stall the first quest stage for a good while so you can build up an army of possible attackers and defenders. You need a bunch of chump blockers or one good equipped defending hero (for example with burning brand and citadel plate).
Threat reduction will come in handy so that not all the trolls attack you at once as soon as you enter the second stage.
The perfect situation would be a Troll Camp in play and Bilbo equipped with Unexpected Courage or Fast Hitch to ready him. Then you can easily remove sacked cards fro heroes.

The first troll you should kill is Tom. After that you can quickly bring the other two down with your army.

Timing is very crucial in this quest and the moment the trolls arrive at the scene it seemed to me that the whole situation becomes a strategic puzzle were you have to carefully choose and plan what to do in the next rounds.

Too be honest I own all the expansions and can't imagine to do it without having the whole cardpool at hand to choose from. Warden of Healing was very helpful and Erebor Battle Master is a beast and made for killing trolls alone despite his recent nerf. And as I said I think two-handed solo would be a lot easier just because of the pure mass of allies you can have altogether (besides that two-handed solo is so much more fun). Adiitionally you need healing, threat reducing and strong attackers and all those tasks are better splitted over two decks than to pack it all in one.
A very helpful hero is Beorn who can defend two times against a troll and even deal a decent amount of damage against it. Not very thematic but also a one-man-troll-killing-machine could be a bumped up Gimli.

The other approach (that I never tried) would be to build a heavy questing deck with a lot of threat reduction and just try to rush through the encounter deck till sunrise.

I believe there are a lot of strategy tips here in the forum which you should browse a bit and there are probably a lot more tips. If it is of any use for you I can PM you my decklists if you want.

Good luck and good hunt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:
Milarky wrote:

I think you mean the Hardy Leadership attachment from Shadow and Flame but I don't have that yet.

No, I think he means the Leadership hero Daín Ironfoot. He gives of course one of the best buffs to dwarf one coan imagine. In my experience it is doable without him but considering you don't own the Dwarrodelf cycle but Mirkwood it could be a good try to use him as a hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonce wrote:
Bodasafa wrote:
Milarky wrote:

No, I think he means the Leadership hero Daín Ironfoot. He gives of course one of the best buffs to dwarf one coan imagine. In my experience it is doable without him but considering you don't own the Dwarrodelf cycle but Mirkwood it could be a good try to use him as a hero.

The "dwarf that gains +attack per dwarf" would be the Erebor Battle-Master, from The Long Dark. He was recently nerfed to gain +attack for each other dwarf ally you control, rather than +attack for each other dwarf you control, giving him effectively a -3 to his attack. But even with that nerf, he's still probably going to be your strongest dwarf for attacking Tom, especially if you can play Khazad! Khazad! or Heavy Stroke (or better yet, both) on him as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have posted in a session report a thematic dwarf deck using Thorin, Nori, Ori solo victory, I think I have won everytime easily with it, and claimed all the treasures. Please read for some ideas.
EDIT: it is in the correct forum...The Hobbit: OHUH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.