Subject: Playing Time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
This game looks great to me, and I am thinking of backing it, but what is the average play time? Usually anything more than 75 minutes is too long for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kimball
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Experienced players playing the basic scenario (Meeting Engagement) can easily finish a game in 60-90 minutes. Some scenarios would be even faster (Chance Encounter) or a little slower (Front Line Fight).

3 or 4 player games usually don't take longer than 2 player games due to most scenarios ending when any Steam Titan is destroyed. However, the scenarios Front Line Fight and Critical Recovery do tend to go longer with more players due to those scenarios not necessarily ending when a Titan is destroyed.

The first time you play the game will likely last longer as you get familiar with the rules and strategy.

In all cases, because of critical hit and weak point square rules, games can end even sooner. I've had games end within half an hour due to some lucky shots and/or poor titan management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hogan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Have any good stories of one of the games with a "lucky shot" in them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kimball
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Played a game this past weekend with Julie, Jeff, Geoff and myself. Geoff and I were the British, and we were playing the Meeting Engagement scenario.

Both sides advanced their lights (Julie, Geoff) right off the bat and both put them on hills at range 4 from each other. My heavy was one space behind Geoff, and Jeff, with a bunch of short range weapons, was advancing aggressively and was in the same sector at Julie, at range 4 from Geoff.

Geoff and I had managed to get 2 out of 3 Enemy in Sight cards (I'm experimenting with starting with 1 less Enemy in Sight card in the revealed battle cards than the number of players), and we had been conserving our shots, so we knew we were going to get a good volume of firepower on Julie.

On the fatal (and final) turn, Jeff moved his Heavy up and was only at range 3 from Geoff. Luckily Jeff still needed one more turn to power up his weapons. Geoff and I decided to open fire on Julie even though I was at range 5 (I had a Rocket Launcher which can strike up to range 6, but my other weapons would be out of range) in order to do as much damage to her before Jeff got his weapons online.

This was a fairly risky move on our part, to attack Julie instead of Jeff, since Julie at the time had enough power in her feet to move. If we didn't cripple or destroy her, she could easily move back on the next turn, possibly into terrain, and Geoff and I would be frantically powering up another volley while Jeff pounded away at as for a turn or two at short range. But, as I said, we had 2 Enemy in Sight cards, which we immediately used to power up our weapons (my Rocket Launcher and his Projectile Booster), and we had a mobile cannon on the field, so we felt the odds were in our favor.

After firing the mobile cannon, which hit Julie in the body for not much effect but reducing her body shields, Geoff further depleted her shields with his Gatling Cannon (soon to be renamed). Things were not looking good, Julie's leg shields were still up (we were hoping to cripple her so she couldn't move).

Then I fired my Rocket Launcher which missed. Disaster!

Geoff had only a Projectile Booster left to fire, but he had it overloaded so it would do 5 damage. Hoping for the best, he took the shot which hit. Rolling for hit location he rolled double 1's...a head hit! Julie's body/head shield had already been reduced to zero by the mobile cannon and Gatling Cannon fire, so 5 damage to Julie's head was an instant kill! Geoff and I congratulated each other with a couple rounds of "Long Live the Queen", "Hip Hip", and so forth.

Julie and Jeff didn't seem to like that too much.

The game lasted almost exactly 30 minutes. Geoff and I got lucky a bit, but better to be lucky than good, right?whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. F. Pedersen
Denmark
København
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mb
Nice game report. Would have been good to see that one in a playthrough video!
Could you tell (show?) a bit more on the different Cards and how they effect the game and your strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hogan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Excellent story. Headshots....mmmm...brains...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.