Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Dungeon Dice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cthuhlu die rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Link
United States
Pasadena
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are there any special rules for the Cthulhu die? I think it would be fun to throw in and pull, but I didn't see any rules in the supplemental rule book.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This guy is tough for us...

He has ZERO special abilities and offers 2 Fame Points to the winner.

So........if you get lucky, and roll a 1 or a 2 (or even a 3 for that matter) on his facing, it could be an easy path towards 1/2 your game's total!

What we have done is 2 things :


1) Either...simply remove him from the game, hehe...

or...more interestingly...

2) If he's pulled, we roll. If it's Chthulu's 1 or 2 Side, he gets a Rolled Artifact with his Monster Dice. Including Ability + total.
If it's his 3 side, he gets am Equipment with the same...rolled total + Ability.
If it's his 4, 5 or 6...Good luck.
This makes only the '4' side optimal, in a fashion...

It's worked out Ok thus far!

Game...RULES, btw!!!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't play-tested any of these, but here are some ideas:

Malign presence

Place Cthulu in the monster bag. When a player draws Cthulu, she must roll him, then draw a second monster (if using Hunt and Cthulu is one of the monsters, the player must roll him and encounter the other). As long as Cthulu remains in play, insanity reigns! Each player must add Cthulu's total to the combat total for any monster they encounter. Whenever a monster is defeated, rotate Cthulu's die to subtract one from the total; once he reaches zero, he is returned to the monster bag.

Fighting insanity

Place Cthulu in the monster bag. When a player draws Cthulu, she must encounter him (no fleeing). Roll Cthulu, then the active player (and any ally she is able to enlist) must roll only their unwounded green hero level dice (no equipment, artifacts, or one-use dice). If the players' combat total is greater than what Cthulu rolled, they have successfully fought off insanity; all players involved with combat may heal one wound. Otherwise, the players involved with combat suffer insanity and must lose one hero level (rotate their hero level die, if they are level 1 or above), and if applicable lose one of their green hero level die (may lose wounded die).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We just use him(?) to resolve any combat-assist results. 1-3 and the primary hero wins the prize; 4-6 the assisting hero wins -- or some negotiated range accepted by both players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu is pretty rough. To make him rougher, you can add in the Pain die (if you have the KS bonuses) and add the effect to his combat rolls. Honestly, that was my first impression of what the Pain die was intended for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
Cthulhu is pretty rough. To make him rougher, you can add in the Pain die (if you have the KS bonuses) and add the effect to his combat rolls. Honestly, that was my first impression of what the Pain die was intended for.


My first impression of the Cthulhu die was that is was a cool looking sixe sided die. Nothing more. We use it to see who goes first or to roll for odds on trophy/reward rolls bartering.

reading here seems as though we could just make it anything we want. It could potentially be almost as big as the Dragon. Bigger if you throw enough abilities on it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thovar Goldstein
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
We gave Cthulhu a mass hysteria ability, forcing all players to join the fight and roll all single use dice. He is set aside after combat and doesn't award a trophy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cruickshanks
Norway
flag msg tools
Zzzz
badge
Chaos Incarnate
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thovar wrote:
We gave Cthulhu a mass hysteria ability, forcing all players to join the fight and roll all single use dice. He is set aside after combat and doesn't award a trophy.

This is similar to what I planned on doing. If Cthulhu is drawn every player must join the fight, potentially causing lots of wounds or discussions about forcing others to use single-use dice etc. I haven't gotten my copy yet, so for this use I figure I'd need to either introduce some limits to player dice, or some bonus to Cthulhu to make him really scary even if it's a 1-2-3.

Was also considering using him as a "good thing", in that if you draw him you can re-roll him and make him attack another player (no fleeing by them). And you have to decide before you re roll for his combat ability. If I use it like this he needs to award a fame, so that you have to debate whether to risk using him or just discarding him.
If you roll a 1-2 you're handing of an easy fame, if you roll high you're causing a wound to the other player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
I haven't play-tested any of these, but here are some ideas:

Malign presence

Place Cthulu in the monster bag. When a player draws Cthulu, she must roll him, then draw a second monster (if using Hunt and Cthulu is one of the monsters, the player must roll him and encounter the other). As long as Cthulu remains in play, insanity reigns! Each player must add Cthulu's total to the combat total for any monster they encounter. Whenever a monster is defeated, rotate Cthulu's die to subtract one from the total; once he reaches zero, he is returned to the monster bag.


I like your idea, I think i will try this out next time I play!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.