Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The arch punch method is awesome, but a 1.5" punch is rather expensive. Is there a better option that will still leave me with a clean circle?

EDIT:

It has come to my attention that this thread is listed in the sticky links. I'll try to give a complete guide to how I'm using the circle cutter in case someone is looking for step by step instructions. I apologize upfront that the discs pictured here are significantly larger than 1.5" but the process is the same for any size.

1. Place the shape to be cut out on a self-healing cutting board.
[filepage=61499]Dune combat wheel design by Ilya[/filepage]

2. Lineup center of cutter with the disc. My cutter is not centered perfectly so this takes some practice.

3. Tape down the cutter and chipboard. This is the most important step for keeping edges perfectly cut. For smaller discs, cut out a piece of the chipboard and tape it to the cutting board before aligning and securing the circle cutter.

4. Insert the blade and begin cutting. Instead of going all the way through at once, slowly increase pressure until the disc is free. It should separate on its own when done.

5. Admire the finished discs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Miller
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What material, and how thick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Call
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matosawitko wrote:
What material, and how thick?

If it is up to 300gsm I have used paper punches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall, poker chips are 1.5 inches. I'd just use print out on stickers and put it on poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Poker chips or wooden disks are my backup plan. That's all I've seen outside POD services, but I figured I may have missed something.

I have 2 mm chipboard I've used for tokens up to 1". It's unfortunately too thick for the craft punches I've tried. Those only go up to an inch as well, but I figure the larger sizes will work the same. I will be making smaller tokens as well and arch punches/utility knives will work fine for those.

EDIT: Just realized I didn't say the game. I'm planning to make Ilya's version of Dune over the summer. While nice wood pieces may happen, I'm looking into all my options before I start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Round leather punch and mallet. They come in lots of sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used the Martha Stewart Circular Cutter to make a bunch of round circle tokens. I've even used it to make X-Wing Dials (about 1 3/4" if I remember correctly) out of chipboard.

$12 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-Crafts-Simple-Circle/dp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to Michael's craft store and get the same paper punch as linked above, but use the 40% off coupon. I just bought a 1 inch punch the other day for less than $8 with the coupon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://litko.net will make circular bases in any size you want. You can use a variety of materials including plywood or transparent plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pahoota wrote:
Go to Michael's craft store and get the same paper punch as linked above, but use the 40% off coupon. I just bought a 1 inch punch the other day for less than $8 with the coupon.

That Martha Stewart Circle Cutter isn't a paper punch. And the paper punches I've seen in Michaels, AC Moore, and Hobby Lobby wouldn't punch through chipboard.

That circle cutter is more like a ruler+exacto knife. It's promising, but I'd be concerned with whether the cuts will end up ragged or frayed due to the way a knife would cut curved patterns on chipboard. The reason arch punches and die cutters are ideal is that you're cutting straight down, rather than dragging the blade across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Circles are easy. I could laser-cut a pile of them for you for not a lot of bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Garcia
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a hallow punch and hammer. Best way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
pahoota wrote:

That Martha Stewart Circle Cutter isn't a paper punch. And the paper punches I've seen in Michaels, AC Moore, and Hobby Lobby wouldn't punch through chipboard.

Agreed. Most of those punches are not quite garbage, but you most likely won't be happy with them either.

Stormtower wrote:

That circle cutter is more like a ruler+exacto knife. It's promising, but I'd be concerned with whether the cuts will end up ragged or frayed due to the way a knife would cut curved patterns on chipboard. The reason arch punches and die cutters are ideal is that you're cutting straight down, rather than dragging the blade across.

The cuts end up ragged once in a while but are quite clean most of the time.
I use the circular cutter on chipboard that has a full sheet label sticker applied and then a self adhesive laminate sheet applied over top. And like I said it cuts clean most of the time.

I think the key is not to press too hard. Multiple passes around with slightly increasing pressure as opposed to fewer passes with greater pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 1.5" circular a**s.
Seriously, most of the good suggestions have already been listed but I'd also look at a few teachers supply companies. They sell all sorts of odd things as craft supplies for younger grades.

P.S. Yes, I had to go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use this:

It's an Ultra ShapeXpress™ Shape Cutter.

You can get various templates for different shapes such as these:

It takes a little time (You need to make multiple passes and finish with an XACTO knife) but you can get nice results. I made this replacement money for London using this method:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make your own hollow punch? It would be an awful lot of work, just to save few dollars, but it can be done. Start with a short scrap of steel pipe such as 1.5 inch electrical conduit. Cut the end off square. Bevel the edge with a grinder. Use a file to dress and sharpen the cutting edge to perfection. Put a cap on the non-cutting end, and there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arch/leather punches are expensive at 1.5" and for the trouble/cost of making my own I'd rather run with laser cut/POD solutions but if I'm ordering the chits I'll upgrade to wood.

The circle cutters look promising. After some time on Amazon I ended up ordering the Martha Stewart version and I'll post my results for future reference.

Thanks all! Very appreciative for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried the circle punch that they sell at craft stores and I'm less than happy with the edges of the punch. I did invest in 2 punches from Brettuns Leather; they were about $50 for both shipped. BEST investment in hobby tools I've made. Used them to punch round tokens for Advanced Civilization and they're better looking than factory tokens.

If you're going to do a lot of PNP production with round tokens it's worth spending money on good tools.

Another alternative for very large tokens is to buy cheap poker chips (Target/Walmart) and then glue your tokens to them but that only works for very large tokens. I used that method to put together a Dune set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Picture time! I ordered the Martha Stewart circle cutter and, after having moved, I'm about ready to PnP a couple games. I'll post finished products of course but here's how the tool does with thin chipboard:

I think I figured out how to avoid the nub.

As long as the label is on good, this should work fine.

All in all, making a ton of chits may take some time but it's doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raithyn wrote:
Poker chips or wooden disks are my backup plan. That's all I've seen outside POD services, but I figured I may have missed something.

I have 2 mm chipboard I've used for tokens up to 1". It's unfortunately too thick for the craft punches I've tried. Those only go up to an inch as well, but I figure the larger sizes will work the same. I will be making smaller tokens as well and arch punches/utility knives will work fine for those.

EDIT: Just realized I didn't say the game. I'm planning to make Ilya's version of Dune over the summer. While nice wood pieces may happen, I'm looking into all my options before I start.

I've done the Dune set so here's my .02

For the large tokens: Print out labels, either cut with the Martha Stewart type punch or scissors and glue to cheap poker chips. For the smaller round tokens I'd use an arch punch...the smaller sizes run between $20-$30 each and are worth the investment if you plan on doing more PnP games. I did the Adv. Civ reprint with arch punches and the tokens look as good as something you'd get from a factory. There is a thread on arch punches with tons of info.

As for the map: format it to fit on a 20x30 paper (I think the map is square) and then use Costco to get a poster print. The quality is amazing. Once done you can mount it to some sort of backing board for play or just put a thin piece of clear plastic on top of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Experience is always appreciated.

I do plan on an arch punch for the units. You can actually see the imprint from previous projects on the mat. The cutter is for the dials and possibly the leaders. I am leaning toward poker chips or wood disks though.

I'll definitely check out Costco. This will be my first large board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
raithyn wrote:
Picture time! I ordered the Martha Stewart circle cutter and, after having moved, I'm about ready to PnP a couple games. I'll post finished products of course but here's how the tool does with thin chipboard:
I think I figured out how to avoid the nub.
What was the trick?

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Patience and good chipboard. I have to run the circle very lightly at first and slowly increase pressure until I cut through the whole thing. It takes time but seems to work out okay for the smaller games I've built.

Unfortunately my schedule hasn't permitted time to work on something as intricate as Dune yet. I have the cards from PrinterStudio as of last week so now it's only a matter of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Garrett
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used a local teacher's supply store to print out construction paper chits for an emergency game. Hope you find what you need!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.