Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First game of Bang! The Dice Game tonight, 6 players, and there was some uncertainty about how the game should play.

The renegade seems to have the hardest job by far, almost unfairly so for the poor person who gets it, and the outlaws the easiest.

What is the strategy for a renegade to win? It seems the dice take away choice over who gets shot, so it's not so easy to work out who is who.

What are the main indicators? Is it healing? How much table talk is allowed?

I'd love to get a little more insight over where the tension and strategy is in this game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
The renegade should pretend to be a deputy, and definitely aim at the deputy or outlaws, then destroy the sheriff- is what I've found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
The renegade should pretend to be a deputy, and definitely aim at the deputy or outlaws, then destroy the sheriff- is what I've found.

My question is how you 'aim' at anyone, when the dice determine who you can shoot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:

My question is how you 'aim' at anyone, when the dice determine who you can shoot...

It's yahtzee style roll'n'keep, so try to roll for useful numbers. However, as a mild PYL game, part of it is also making that deliciously difficult decision of who to hit when you roll incorrectly. If that decision rubs you the wrong way, I suggest you trade the game while it's still hot(ish).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
MrMT wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:

It's yahtzee style roll'n'keep, so try to roll for useful numbers. However, as a mild PYL game, part of it is also making that deliciously difficult decision of who to hit when you roll incorrectly. If that decision rubs you the wrong way, I suggest you trade the game while it's still hot(ish).

doesn't rub me the wrong way at all -

just trying to understand where the decision points are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:
MrMT wrote:
hanibalicious wrote:

doesn't rub me the wrong way at all -

just trying to understand where the decision points are...

Well, seeing as it's a dice game, the push your luck element is much more important than the actual hidden roles. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the only interesting hidden role bits are the renegade/outlaws, who are both trying to imitate the poor deputy. Other than that, it really is about pushing your luck, especially with arrows and dynamite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this makes sense.

I raised this because the initial reaction to this game in my games group was very negative - which surprised me as its a group which LOVES hidden role games, and is perfectly up for some quick shooting action.

The prevailing sense was that whoever got the renegade was stuffed, and that the game kind of played itself, because the dice determined who got shot.

Sold as a push your luck game rather than deduction game, it becomes a different proposition. I'd love it to work out! Maybe it's just not really a game club kind of game, but something to pull out in a noisy bar of with a bunch of kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what its worth, we played this game last week 4 times in a row 6 player. Renegade won twice, sheriff once and outlaws once. Felt really balanced, and it was anyone's game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I understand correctly that the Renegade can only win if he manages to kill all the remaining players (which have to be the Sheriff and at least one Bandit) in one turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jardal
msg tools
Skippy668 wrote:
Do I understand correctly that the Renegade can only win if he manages to kill all the remaining players (which have to be the Sheriff and at least one Bandit) in one turn?

No, the Renegade wins if the Sheriff dies and that Renegade is the only person alive.

It could go down to just the Renegade and the Sheriff are alive (this is the most common scenario), the Renegade kills the Sheriff and thus wins.

It could also be the Renegade, the Sheriff, and another player. The Renegade is able to kill the Sheriff and the other player simultaneously, thus winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.