Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love W&W. I have the version from 6 years ago or so. I recommended the game to my coworker and she loved it. She bought a copy and brought it to the office today. When I opened it, I noticed that the new cards are slimmed down, and they only have 2 questions each instead of 7! What a rip off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domcrap said in another thread that the reason they did it is to have great questions all around. So they pick the cream of the crop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did she get the Party edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nope. The regular one (yellow box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the new edition has fewer questions (250 instead of 700) but they are more up-to-date and generally more interesting than a lot of the original questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
iGotGame wrote:
I love W&W. I have the version from 6 years ago or so. I recommended the game to my coworker and she loved it. She bought a copy and brought it to the office today. When I opened it, I noticed that the new cards are slimmed down, and they only have 2 questions each instead of 7! What a rip off!

I'm sorry that you feel ripped off. The main reason for the change was to increase the quality of the questions in the game. This leads to a over-all better experience for most people. You can read about the reasons for the change here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1066846/question-about-compo...

If you still feel ripped off, then geekmail me. We'll let you send us the game and then reimburse you for it and the cost of shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony W
United States
Long Beach, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't buy the game and don't own it. It's my coworker's and I felt ripped off for her. How come you guys didn't add more questions. Feels like a false dichotomy that it's either quantity or quality. Why couldn't it be both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:

If you still feel ripped off, then geekmail me. We'll let you send us the game and then reimburse you for it and the cost of shipping.

I think this is at least the third time I've said this in response to an article: Dominic is the best designer/publisher in the biz!

It makes sense, the change, but I can see why some might be concerned they're losing physical game value (though play value should certainly increase). I had no idea the change was made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
iGotGame wrote:
I didn't buy the game and don't own it. It's my coworker's and I felt ripped off for her. How come you guys didn't add more questions. Feels like a false dichotomy that it's either quantity or quality. Why couldn't it be both?

They first spent their time removing the less-than-stellar questions from the previous edition. Dominic is selling (going to be selling soon?) additional packs of questions for those who run through the full 250 questions.

If you want 700 super high-quality questions (and more), you'll have to head over to GeekQuestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

Common misconception. I don't know who followed in who's footsteps, but the Party edition, Family edition, and original now all do this. AFAIK, the party and family edition never had anything but 2 questions per card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
iGotGame wrote:

We could have both if only time were unlimited! But it's not, so we're constantly faced with tough choices about how to best use our time. We look to our customers to help us figure this out. If we thought the majority of our customers would feel similarly to you, we would have shelved another one of our projects and put the time into creating more questions. But I've polled hundreds of people, and the vast majority of our customers play the game less than 20 times. This is true on the BGG, and even more true with our mass market customers (which make up about 90% of our customers).

We work on behalf of our customers, and as far as we can tell, they aren't interested in having lots and lots of questions - so I don't want to charge them for the time it would take to write another 450 questions. We spend a LOT of time on our questions. People don't understand this. We have a 3 page document describing the types of questions that work well, and the types that do not work as well. Every question gets put through the ringer, TESTED by real people in a game, and fact checked with 3 different sources. It's a time consuming process. But we would do it ifthe majority of our customers felt the same way as you do.

If you're interested in the BGG poll, I did a tricky thing and embedded info that we wanted into a contest. Here is a link to the contest. And here is the poll. The relevant question is secnd from the bottom.

I hope this helps explain where we're coming from. Cheers!

Poll
Do you have a tatoo?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
yes
10.5% 114
no
89.5% 972
Voters 1086
Did you play on a varsity sports team in high school?
yes
28.8% 312
no
71.2% 772
Voters 1084
Have you blacked out from drinking at least once in your life?
yes
42.4% 460
no
57.6% 624
Voters 1084
How many times have you played the original Wits & Wagers?
55.9% 607
1 - 2
12.8% 139
3 - 5
10.3% 112
6 - 10
9.5% 103
11 - 15
4.4% 48
16 - 20
2.6% 28
21 - 30
2.4% 26
31 - 40
0.9% 10
41 - 50
0.3% 3
51+
0.9% 10
Voters 1086
Are you smarter than most people?
yes
85.1% 917
no
14.9% 161
Voters 1078
This poll is now closed.   1087 answers
Poll created by domcrap
Closes: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
Dominic is selling (going to be selling soon?) additional packs of questions for those who run through the full 250 questions.

Our goal is to put together question packs of each of the games to be released at Toy Fair next year (Feb). They will be marketed as travel versions / extra questions. This is a perfect example of a type of project that would have to be shelved if we put another 3 months into writing questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

Common misconception. I don't know who followed in who's footsteps, but the Party edition, Family edition, and original now all do this. AFAIK, the party and family edition never had anything but 2 questions per card.

We first did this with W&W Family in 2010, then with W&W Party in 2012, and finally with the original W&W last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

We first did this with W&W Family in 2010, then with W&W Party in 2012, and finally with the original W&W last year.

I like introducing W&W Family to new players, since the 1/2 scoring and score track work so well.

The Family box is different enough (smaller and more rectangular, and it has the point track) that I didn't think it would be confused, so I went for the more similar box and contents, and more recent release date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.