Nations» Forums » General

Subject: better and better rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skerasco Veraii
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now played my 15th game of NATIONS and it was the best one yet.... playing with experienced players makes the game just go up another level, had a great game of twisting strategies and card chaining. Just a big well done to the designer this has all the depth a game could ask for! The fact that you dont know what will happen next really tests your ability to adapt your strategy aswell which is so crucial to a real gaming experience. WELL DONE, a masterpiece!!!! DONT DISAPPOINT ON THE EXPANSION
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the game is much more satisfying with experienced players and the expert cards. It does seem to get more enjoyable the more if is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono Naito
United States
Red Hook
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play with the same people regularly- 2-5 players, always a blast. Played at least 30 games thus far. It is a whole other world of possibility, it really is. Thank you for a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Beite Løken
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My playgroup has well over 200 plays of TTA. We absolutely love Nations and have started playing it regularly. The game gets better and better. The fun really skyrocketed for my group when we played with all the cards and on the highest difficulty. Crazy stuff happens and not a single game is the same (although we understand that not everyone enjoys a high "chaos-factor", sometimes the card row reveals many buildings, sometimes just a few and extremely rarely none).

What would improve the game for us, is more Nations (civs). Please give us more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Vicar in a tutu wrote:
My playgroup has well over 200 plays of TTA. We absolutely love Nations and have started playing it regularly. The game gets better and better. The fun really skyrocketed for my group when we played with all the cards and on the highest difficulty. Crazy stuff happens and not a single game is the same (although we understand that not everyone enjoys a high "chaos-factor", sometimes the card row reveals many buildings, sometimes just a few and extremely rarely none).

What would improve the game for us, is more Nations (civs). Please give us more!

Stig, please try the refilling method that I describe here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
Vicar in a tutu wrote:

You do realize that it isn't necessarily a bad thing that some card types/resources are scarce or extremely scarce. It just makes the game more interesting. Personally I see that the game just gets worse if the card row is manipulated. But that's just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
rayffis wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:
Vicar in a tutu wrote:

You do realize that it isn't necessarily a bad thing that some card types/resources are scarce or extremely scarce. It just makes the game more interesting. Personally I see that the game just gets worse if the card row is manipulated. But that's just my opinion.

Have you read all my post there? It's not a very hard manipulation. Sometimes no card is discarded, sometimes only one. Scarcity happens. It's only a little tweak, but with a very good impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Hannula
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
The probabilistic nature of being
badge
Truthful speech, proper understanding, unselfish action
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
rayffis wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:
Vicar in a tutu wrote:

Have you read all my post there? It's not a very hard manipulation. Sometimes no card is discarded, sometimes only one. Scarcity happens. It's only a little tweak, but with a very good impact.

I did read it. And I also agree that it's not very hard manipulation (much better than other card row house rule suggestions I've read). I just don't think that it makes the game better. It diminishes the possibility of extremely harsh rounds. And usually those rounds have huge effect to the course of the game (which is interesting IMO).

Ultimately this is just a matter of preference. I'm a cutthroat player and I play with people who are cutthroat as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Beite Løken
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
Vicar in a tutu wrote:

Stig, please try the refilling method that I describe here. :)

Your house rule looks cool. But we prefer the randomness and the weird gamestates that occur from playing with all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be able to see the joy of "weird gamestates" like having only, say, 8 wars and 8 golden ages to choose from. It would be only a experience with no choices, a round to pass. This wouldn't make for a more "cutthroat" game, which I also like, but would make for a bad, poor experience game.

This is a design level issue. They tried to handle this with the "additional rules" where they suggest a way to play with "balanced progress card decks", but it's a hard thing to setup.

I challenge anyone to try my refilling method for some games to see if the game doesn't feel more pleasurable. It's not because of me, of course, please understand: It's because of the great job the designers did and you are spoiling by not playing at least with the suggested balancing!

My method only emulates the official suggestion in a very easier way to do and, at the same time, keep the things more mixed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:

This is a design level issue. They tried to handle this with the "additional rules" where they suggest a way to play with "balanced progress card decks", but it's a hard thing to setup.

No, we did not "try" to handle the variation, it is an important feature of the game. The intended way to play is to use all cards. The game is designed to handle extreme variation, there are ways around shortages and lots of options that are hard to see at first. We break a bunch of conventions that gamers are used to though, and to make the learning process easier we split the decks to 3 packs.

There are players who do not like this type of variation though, and for those we added the variant in the rules. Thanks for expanding with your variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
I wouldn't be able to see the joy of "weird gamestates" like having only, say, 8 wars and 8 golden ages to choose from. It would be only a experience with no choices, a round to pass. This wouldn't make for a more "cutthroat" game, which I also like, but would make for a bad, poor experience game.

I challenge anyone to try my refilling method for some games to see if the game doesn't feel more pleasurable. It's not because of me, of course, please understand: It's because of the great job the designers did and you are spoiling by not playing at least with the suggested balancing!

My method only emulates the official suggestion in a very easier way to do and, at the same time, keep the things more mixed!
I would never play with your method either.

What if that 6th blue card is a food card, and I really need food. What if all the good food cards are positioned that you will never see them with your refilling method.

I know it may be unlikely, but no more so than your 8 war and 8 golden age card set up.

I too, would rather play rules as written, with all the playtesting, than your rules, with your playtesting.

I wasn't even going to reply, but your insistence on the rest of us just not getting it, and that you know better, really put me off, and reading the other responses, I am not alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

What if that 6th blue card is a food card, and I really need food. What if all the good food cards are positioned that you will never see them with your refilling method.

I know it may be unlikely, but no more so than your 8 war and 8 golden age card set up.

I too, would rather play rules as written, with all the playtesting, than your rules, with your playtesting.

I wasn't even going to reply, but your insistence on the rest of us just not getting it, and that you know better, really put me off, and reading the other responses, I am not alone.

I can't see why that "put you off". I may be wrong, but I didn't behave with disrespect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
crambaza wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

I can't see why that "put you off". I may be wrong, but I didn't behave with disrespect.

Vicar in a tutu wrote: We like this game, it's chaotic and fun

PauloSantoro wrote: Try my way

rayffis wrote: We don't like to manipulate the card row

PauloSantoro wrote: Did you even read my post?!

rayffis wrote: I did read it. And I also agree that it's not very hard manipulation. I just don't think that it makes the game better

Vicar in a tutu wrote: Your house rule looks cool. But we prefer the randomness and the weird gamestates that occur from playing with all the cards.

PauloSantoro wrote: I wouldn't be able to see the joy of "weird gamestates"... This is a design level issue.

Maybe we just don't want to play your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
As I've said, I may be wrong but haven't been disrespectful. Now you may be needing a vacation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.