BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Next game from my favourite "genre"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
So after being able to play more and more games from game nights and purchasing games throughout my time in this hobby, I've come to realize that my favourite "genre" so to speak is the spy/deduction/mystery/hidden movement type games (closely followed by Space!). Of these type of games, my favourite game is Letters from Whitechapel. Others I have and enjoy are: Mr Jack, Noir: Killer vs Inspector, then on a broader scale of genres all the traitor games like The Resistance and Avalon, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition, Saboteur, Coup etc.

I'm looking at adding some more of these types of games to my collection. I have a fair few in mind, but for convenience sake I actually saw three games that I'd been eyeing off come into stock at the game store yesterday. These were:

Scotland Yard (the new Ravensburger edition)
Shadow Hunters
Spy Alley

I was thinking about choosing just one of those (or maybe two or three if they're recommended enough)...or of course if there are much better games other than those I can hold off on those and go in a different direction.

So what are everyone's thoughts here? Are the three games listed worth buying considering I love these types of games, or is there something better out there worth getting instead/as well? Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scotland Yard and Letters from Whitechapel are very similar. I wouldn't advise getting it. You could consider Fury of Dracula instead, but it is hard to find. TBH, I found FoD very disappointing compared to LfW.

Shadow Hunters is a crazier version of BANG!, which you may want to consider.

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and Shadows over Camelot may be worth looking at (BSG even has space in it too )

FYI, you don't need to be a fan to enjoy BSG, though the friends I know who are, say that it makes a great game incredible, rather than making an average game good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters is pretty basic compared to other traitor games. It's a roll and move traitor hybrid with a bloodbath at the end.

Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan is a good 2 player secret movement game although like most of these games it is more fun to play the ninja than the guards.

The Name of the Rose is an older Feld deduction game that is hard to find but really stands out in the genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply! Ah, I was thinking from the other side of things, that if Scotland Yard is similar to Letters that I'd really enjoy it. Makes sense the other way round too though I guess.

I do own and love Shadows over Camelot I've been wanting Battlestar for a long while though, but I'm happy to hold off as I want to make my way through the show first.

Keep the recommendations coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Fantôme de l'Opéra is a good deduction game, plays nice and quick too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery of the Abbey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't overlook Nuns on the Run. It's one of my favorites in this genre. It is tense throughout and has a unique, wacky theme.

And for a great 2-player war game with simultaneous movement, take a look at 2 de Mayo.

Have hidden fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, skip Shadow Hunters.

Hanabi is a deduction based co-op -- the tension of competition is replaced by the tension of not being able to tell your teammates what you want.

It has flaws, but it's a whole lot of deduction in a very small package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
I've played Nuns on the Run and enjoyed it. I've been wanting Le Fantôme de l’Opéra for a while now so I'm definitely going to grab that on my next online order

I've got Hanabi and I don't mind it, but it's definitely not one of my favourites.

So I'm going to give Shadow Hunters a miss from what has been said in this thread, even though I'd still like to play it at some point. Out of the three I mentioned I may grab Spy Alley as it does look fun.

Always up for hearing any other recommendations too and thanks for the help so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We found BANG! The Dice Game to be one of the funnest light games we had ever played. I know it doesn't fit in with the hidden movement, but it does fit in with your Werewolf games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
how about The Artifact? its a space themed 4 way blind hidden role/hidden movement/hidden everything sci fi game. im going to be honest, i havent played this thing personally so take this with a grain of salt, but it sure looks fun. i would have already bought it if i thought i had a hope in hell of ever getting it to the table, but for me i dont think thats happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.