Subject: Borg Cutting Beam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've flown a few different borg builds now, and the one question that people keep asking me is, why no STAW:cutting beam. So far, i've only used it once (first flight), and i'm not very impressed. You have to take an action to prep it (tractor beam), AND disable the upgrade. And it only gives you 3 extra attack dice. for the points, I'd much rather run something else, like assimilation tubules, or even just the tractor beam itself
I just want to know what other people think about the upgrade - is 15 points (for the cutting beam and tractor beam), 2 upgrade slots, and 2 actions (tractor beam + re-enable) worth +3 dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the thing here is that cutting beam's requirements are pretty easy.

Tractor beam is already good since it removes cloak and disables 2 shields, it's a definite cloak killer, and deals 2 pseudo-damage for the cost of an action. Tractor beam also lasts forever as long as you remain within range 0, and since your opponent can only take 2 maneuvers, its pretty easy to stay in range.

Cutting beam's range 1 req is meaningless since you have to be in range 1 to use Tractor anyway. It doesn't spend the Beam (unlike most Target Lock Weapons), so it *only* costs is a disable. That nets you +3 attack dice for 8 points, which is one of the most efficient increases in the game AND you can reroll them with target lock or Tac Drone if you have one (unlike torpedoes which you're often rolling unmodified).

If you have the points and are already using the beam, it's not a bad investment. Reenabling it is optional too because very few ships with 2 disabled shields and no cloak will survive a 10 die attack w/ mods followed by a 7 die attack w/ mods the next turn. And really, what else would you use the weapon slot on anyawy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're running the Tractor Beam already, and have points to spare, a Cutting Beam can definitely be worthwhile. It synergizes well with the Tactical Drone ability.

It comes down to how you are flying your Sphere and what you're trying to accomplish. Sometimes it will be worthwhile to have a big weapon like that, other times it will be more redundant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
And really, what else would you use the weapon slot on anyawy?

Just this Energy Dissipator.... Or these Photonic Charges.... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more thoughts on this over here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1165180/borg-tractor-beam-an...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a big fan of it myself. It looks good on paper, but in practice there are just better options. I will take a flagship and close range bonus to get me to 8 attack dice with no other requirements than fiddle with getting a tractor beam lock, worrying about staying in range, then firing the cutting beam, and having to re-enable it before being able to do it again, or having to get a new tractor beam lock before switching targets. It is just much easier, and more convenient to go for that primary weapon 360' arc at range 1 and still have actions left over for other things. Heck get a target lock and use it to reroll your 8 attack dice, which I will take over the cutting beams 10 attack dice with no modifiers every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas wilson
msg tools
It does however score meta points, this on a ship could distract your opponent from the "real danger" and turn your sphere into a fire magnet.

yes this is theory crafting that you cant see on a list or by math hammering. But taking DS9 for me proved to be boon as people would ignore my ships in favor of shooting as DS9, which had far less potent fire power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zraktor wrote:
It does however score meta points, this on a ship could distract your opponent from the "real danger" and turn your sphere into a fire magnet.

Maybe, but you're spending 10pts to hopefully get weak players to make poor decisions. I'd rather have the 10pts invested in stuff that will help against the best players/builds, as I wouldn't be worried about getting an edge on the weakest opponents.

Good players will see the Cutting Beam for what it is: "a sign taped on the back of your Sphere that says "I wasted 10 Points."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas wilson
msg tools
forget i said anything, you missed the point completely .... continue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If it were any cheaper, I'd be all over it. However, at 8 points, it competes directly with the Assimilation Tubules, which are simply a better use of those points.

If I had points to spare, I'd love to include the Cutting Beam; I like the idea of it. I just don't know that it's worth the (understandably) high price tag they put on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gould
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally I like.

Sphere -40
Dom/Ind flagship -10
Picard -7
cutting beam -8
Borg Tractor Beam -7
Borg Ablative hull armor -10

that's a 6/1/8/12 ship that can target lock, Battle stations, tractor beam and cutting beam in the same turn. All with a 360° firing arc.

Yeah, I'll take that. Post that sign on me that I wasted points and come a little closer said the spider to the fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gotg wrote:
Personally I like.

Sphere -40
Dom/Ind flagship -10
Picard -7
cutting beam -8
Borg Tractor Beam -7
Borg Ablative hull armor -10

that's a 6/1/8/12 ship that can target lock, Battle stations, tractor beam and cutting beam in the same turn. All with a 360° firing arc.

Yeah, I'll take that. Post that sign on me that I wasted points and come a little closer said the spider to the fly.

Back that up with a Praetus loaded with a Cloaked Mine and you're in business for the Tholian Web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.