John Doe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
When bypassing ice with inside job or Femme Fatale, are the subroutines considered unbroken or do they trigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing "triggers" or activates. You just move on to the next piece of ice or access the server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
The subs don't even play, because you are bypassing. Also, since you have priority, you can also avoid any "on encounter" effects, like on Data Raven and Tollbooth, per the FAQs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sasha F
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
When bypassing ice, the subroutines are NOT considered broken, though they do not fire. The distinction is important for cards such as Chum that has effects dependent on breaking subsequent ice subroutines.

All effects that start with "When the runner encounters..." such as on Pop-up window, Tollbooth, Snoop, Data Raven, and Matrix Analyzer are also bypassed and do not trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Enniss
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note that if you bypass a piece of ice (using e.g. Femme Fatal) which is behind a Chum you did not break, the subroutines of the second ice are not broken, and Chum will deal 3 net damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Enniss
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Squash957 wrote:

All effects that start with "When the runner encounters..." such as on Pop-up window, Tollbooth, Snoop, Data Raven, and Matrix Analyzer are also bypassed and do not trigger.

All the Corp's effects. The runner may order their "when you encounter" effects however they want, which will matter when Nasir comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about with Komainu? Played someone that said Komainu is free to bypass with Femme because it doesn't get the subs because it is bypassing the encounter like on Tollbooth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meng
msg tools
Rediknight wrote:
What about with Komainu? Played someone that said Komainu is free to bypass with Femme because it doesn't get the subs because it is bypassing the encounter like on Tollbooth.

He was correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another important thing, the ICE is still encountered, but is bypassed before on encounter effects trigger. This would explain Chum firing on bypassed ICE (as you encounter then bypass, not breaking the subroutines) & explains why Komainu gets no subroutines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Espinosa
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cardsbydizzle wrote:
Another important thing, the ICE is still encountered, but is bypassed before on encounter effects trigger. This would explain Chum firing on bypassed ICE (as you encounter then bypass, not breaking the subroutines) & explains why Komainu gets no subroutines.

So what about putting a Chum or Inazuma in front of a Femme'd Komainu?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rediknight wrote:
cardsbydizzle wrote:

Chum would fire and Inazuma wouldn't matter because in both cases you're not breaking subroutines.

EDIT: Hmm, not sure about Chum now, because the Woodcutter ruling was that it doesn't fire if no subs exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is what I'm thinking:

1. Chum in front of a Femme'd Komainu. Komainu would get no subroutines (due to being Femme'd), so Chum would not fire. There is a ruling somewhere that if you Chum something with no subroutines, Chum won't fire since there are no subroutines to break.

EDIT: Chum into Woodcutter with no subroutines is the example I was thinking of. Goes to the ruling that 0 is considered part of all. So if you break 0 subroutines, you've broken all the subroutines.

2. Inazuma in front of a Femme'd Komainu. Femme's bypass ability is not considered breaking. If you hit a Inazuma, you can still bypass the following ICE, you just can't break it. Inazuma doesn't allow you to break subroutines on the ICE, but bypassing is a different mechanic.

Can others verify my ramblings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cardsbydizzle wrote:
Well, this is what I'm thinking:

1. Chum in front of a Femme'd Komainu. Komainu would get no subroutines (due to being Femme'd), so Chum would not fire. There is a ruling somewhere that if you Chum something with no subroutines, Chum won't fire since there are no subroutines to break.

EDIT: Chum into Woodcutter with no subroutines is the example I was thinking of. Goes to the ruling that 0 is considered part of all. So if you break 0 subroutines, you've broken all the subroutines.

2. Inazuma in front of a Femme'd Komainu. Femme's bypass ability is not considered breaking. If you hit a Inazuma, you can still bypass the following ICE, you just can't break it. Inazuma doesn't allow you to break subroutines on the ICE, but bypassing is a different mechanic.

Can others verify my ramblings?

All looks legit to me. Only bit I'm not 100% on is Woodcutter (because you never got to the 'breaking' step, but there was nothing to break anyway) - I could go either way. I'll send it to Lukas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
Rediknight wrote:
cardsbydizzle wrote:

Chum would fire and Inazuma wouldn't matter because in both cases you're not breaking subroutines.

EDIT: Hmm, not sure about Chum now, because the Woodcutter ruling was that it doesn't fire if no subs exist.

Better Chum the Chum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.