Popular Tags: [View All]
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of questions about Avengers vs. X-men source material for this set. I mostly read DC comics monthly so I am a little out of touch with all of the detail of the marvel universe.

Anyway the things I am curious about are why is Angel not an X-men in this set. I know he is one of the original X-men, but during the time of this story line did he distance himself from them?

Also, I thought that during A vs. X Wolverine was more sided with the Avengers is that wrong? If he was, why was the Wolverine from this set not an Avenger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Blue
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It doesn't really have a lot to do with the AvX storyline... The set doesn't even have Colossus(e: Actually I think it does, I can't remember for sure), Emma Frost, Magik, or Namor, who were pretty important to the story.

It mostly just takes some of the most iconic X-Men and Avengers reps and wraps it in an AvX wrapper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick

Rochester
New York
msg tools
Not to mention it includes many characters that had nothing to do with AvX. For example, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Dr. Doom, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MFK
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanXor wrote:
why is Angel not an X-men in this set. I know he is one of the original X-men, but during the time of this story line did he distance himself from them?

That's a damn good question if he isn't. He's dealing with some...amnesia...at the moment, but he's definitely an X character all the way.

SeanXor wrote:
Also, I thought that during A vs. X Wolverine was more sided with the Avengers is that wrong?

Not wrong, but not right, either. He was still siding with some X-Men, just not the side Scott was on. Even now, the X-Men are kinda torn. Scott and his team are the outcasts.

SeanXor wrote:
why was the Wolverine from this set not an Avenger?

He's really a toss-up...could go either way, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark R
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Shouldn't Nightcrawler be an X-Men too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The source material of this set seems to involve the 90s-era comics. I believe the reason for not including Nightcrawler and Angel is because they were on the team Excalibur at the time, along with Shadowcat.

However, since there's no "Excalibur" team icon, I really think they should have made them X-men.

At the very least, I think every marvel product should have seams of designating between mutant and non-mutant characters as it matters for certain people like Rogue and Scarlet Witch (and possibly Cerebro, if they ever want to make that into a card).

Also, I don't know why Phoenix would be one of the X-men. If she's Jean, then I think she would be a Villain or at least not an X-man, and if she's Rachel, then she should join Nightcrawler on Excalibur.

I really think Angel and Nightcrawler should have both been X-men. But I also think there will be future versions of these characters that are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Robinson
msg tools
I would say most of the source material is lifted right from the most recent Avengers vs. X-Men story line of 2012. The description of OP month one confirms this is the story they are using as basis for the 6 month event.

Also a good lot of the Art seems to reflect this. (Granted as stated above lacking Namor, and Emma Frost does muck this up a bit) I do know they tossed in Spider-Man and Human Torch because of mass market appeal (who lets be honest they don't know a think about the comics) so you can't have a Marvel game without Spider-Man, and Human Torch is very recognizable.

To address faction issues:

Nightcrawler at this time was deceased. He died protecting Hope Summers, during the Messiah CompleX storyline. (He only recently returned to the land of the living as we all know death in comics are a revolving Door)

Angel in this incarnation (Well at least the pictured version)is his almost current incarnation. He is kinda hippie now, and doesn't remember his past at all(That being purged from his mind in the closing of a recent X-Force Storyline). So by rights he isn't currently an X-Man he is a student.

Angel also never served as a member of Excalibur.

He has only served on the following teams:

X-Men
X-Force
X-Club
Mutantes Sans Frontières - Mutant version of Doctor's without Borders....kinda
X-Factor
Renegades
Champions of Los Angeles
Defenders/Secret Defenders
Hellfire Club - inherited membership from his father
Horsemen of Apocalypse
X-Terminators
Worthington Industries
Cheyarafim - a group of angel-like mutants (they date back to biblical times...they fought demonic looking mutants called Neyaphem...who kinda look like Nightcrawler...sigh)
Jean Grey School Students (Current Incarnation...liek I said hippie and doesn't remember anything)

As to Phoenix being an X-Man. In the Comic Series New X-Men as it was in its final issues, Jean had fully realized and assumed the powers of the Phoenix under her complete control. Then she got dead again...this is her most recent and currently sticking death at the hands of a drug addled Magneto (that wasn't really Magneto, just someone claiming to be Magneto who at the time was Masquerading as the Mutant Xorn...don't think about it...seriously it will just make your head hurt).

While it is accurate that Wolverine was sided with the Avengers during the mini-series he was Still one of the X-Men (He is technically he is an Avenger as well, but the X-Men come first). In the Story Line Schism Wolverine and Cyclops split the X-Men up...with Cyclops taking a more Militant approach and Wolverine attempting to still have Xavier's dream live on by founding the Jean Grey School For Higher Learning.

So there you have it....Nightcrawler is dead so yeah no affiliation, Angel isn't himself and currently a hippie student. Before her most recent death Phoenix was an X-Man and fully in control.

Wolverine is still an X-Man...and a Avenger...and a member of X-Force...and whatever other team they want to put him on to sell books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.