1 , 2  Next »   | 

Linko!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two-player rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravensburger has released two-player rules to Abluxxen. See the Abluxxen Duell rules in German.

Here's an English translation I posted in another thread:

Setup:

- Deal 11 cards + 2 jokers
- There's a third player, Shadow, who gets 13 open cards
- Put the 13s and jokers from Shadow's hand paired up with the lowest cards on the table (see illustration in the rules)
- Complete the Shadow's hand back to 13 cards, putting all 13s and Jokers in the middle row. If middle row is full of pairs already, put the extra 13s and Jokers out of the game.
- When you draw cards from the table, a pair counts as a single card.

Playing the game

- If you can steal a set of cards from Shadow's hand with the cards you played, you must take those cards to hand.
- If you can steal several sets from Shadow's hand, you choose one.
- If somebody steals from the shadow, you fulfill the Shadow's hand back to 13 (and 13s and Jokers go to the center row, paired with the lowest cards)
- If you steal from the other player and Shadow, steal first from the Shadow.
- Shadow doesn't play.
- Game end and scoring is as usual. The last played cards do not steal cards, not even from Shadow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great, thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Adams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic. Thanks, Mikko.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
so to snatch Shadow player, as long as you play 1 card that is a higher number than what is shown (even if there is a "13" or "X" card on it), you can snatch it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The paired cards are not in the Shadow's hand, but in the general draw area you use to fulfill your hand. They don't affect snatching in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is it me or is the (official rules) english translation really badly written?

Is this the right way to play this?

Take the 13 cards the shadow is given and order the 1-12's them by rank, only one card in each pile, do not stack similarly ranked cards.

Then starting with the lowest cards play the 13's / jokers, one on each pile. Discard any 13's/jokers that don't have a pile to sit on.

If you don't have 13 cards in total, then draw/restack more cards until you do.

question: if you draw a mid rank card, what do you do with the 13's/jokers in the higher stacks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it was a really quick job. However, seems to me you're reading lots of stuff that just isn't there.

Shadow gets 13 cards, face up. Remove all the 13's and Jokers from Shadow's cards. Then refill Shadow's hand and repeat, until Shadow has 13 cards, face up, with no 13's and Jokers (because you can't snatch them).

The 13 or Joker that would go to Shadow's hand are put on the lowest cards in the common card row in the middle. So, when you draw a card from the middle row during the game, you can either take a single card, or a pair that has a low card and a 13 or a Joker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Well, it was a really quick job. However, seems to me you're reading lots of stuff that just isn't there.

sorry, didn't mean to badger you informal translation...the offical file upload is really confusing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and each stack is individual? so if there are three 5's in the shadow's hand, do I have to take them if I play trip-6?

Or do I only pick up one of the 5 if I play a single 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of questions on the posted rules.

13s and jokers dealt to the ghost player get paired with lowest cards in the 6-card open card row.

There are 8 13s in the deck, plus 1 joker that is not dealt to the two players.

What happens if the ghost player is dealt or draws a 13 or a joker and the open card row already has 6 pairs of cards? Does it get added to one (which one?) to form a card triple? Does something (what?) get discarded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duckizz wrote:
so to snatch Shadow player, as long as you play 1 card that is a higher number than what is shown (even if there is a "13" or "X" card on it), you can snatch it ?

aaarg_ink wrote:
and each stack is individual? so if there are three 5's in the shadow's hand, do I have to take them if I play trip-6?

Or do I only pick up one of the 5 if I play a single 6?

The ghost player's hand has thirteen cards in ranks 1-12 (13s and jokers have been put atop cards in the card row).

These 13 cards are organized by rank. For example, the ghost player might have 4 1's, 3 2's, 4 10's, and 2 11's.

Treat these just like he had already played and accumulated a stack of winnings from playing 4 1's, 2's, etc. - except they're not stacked. When you play, any combination that matches yours in size (and has the proper rank) is snatched.

Thus, in this example:
- If you play any combination of size other than 2, 3, or 4, you cannot snatch from the ghost player.
- If you play a pair of 12's or 13's, you snatch the 2 11's.
- If you play any smaller pair, you do not snatch.
- If you play a trip of 3's or higher, you snatch the 3 2's.
- If you play any smaller trip, you do not snatch.
- If you play a quad of 11's or higher, you can snatch either the 4 1's or the 4 10's.
- If you play a quad of rank 2-11, you snatch the 4 1's.
- If you play a quad of 1's, you do not snatch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I've never seen the official English translation, I've just read the German rules. I've also never played the game two-handed, so I don't know how it actually works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did an excellent job with the translation!!!

Quotes concerning filling the card row with 13s and Joker from the Ghost, from the official English 2P rules:
. Place all 13s and jokers from the ghost player’s hand onto the lowest cards of the open card row, to form card pairs
Exception: If the card row is already filled with card pairs, spare 13s/jokers are removed from the game.

The "Exception" clause is in the green sidebar.

Here is a BGG link to the official Ravensburger 2P rules in English

This plays great as a 2P, by the way. It's surprisingly tense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smintie wrote:
The "Exception" clause is in the green sidebar.

Thanks - I should have read the OP more carefully.
blush

I focused on the English PDF, and of course didn't look at the sidebar. I never do, and I always have problems in which important rule points (I'm not saying that this one is important) appear only in sidebars and examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SJ S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
I always have problems in which important rule points (I'm not saying that this one is important) appear only in sidebars and examples.

I agree!!! Why do publishers do this?? yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK now it makes sense!! I totally missed the part where the 13's/X's go to the open draw pile. Many apologies!

OK so follow up question, for example I have 2(X)-2(13)-5(13)-8-12-13 in the open draw pile. If for some reason a 4 gets put in the draw pile, do you reorder it to get the 5's buddy or do you just wait till another 13 or X is pulled?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this today. Wow, it's excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes it is quite good...though more directly confrontational than stereotypical "husband wife fare" like lost cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Deal 11 cards + 2 jokers.

You give each player 2 jokers.

That leaves 105 cards (8x13 plus the last joker).

Could one of the players get the 5th joker as one of his 11?

Or is that last joker held out until after the deal? It seems that it's got to be back in the deck before the ghost hand is dealt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:

No, I don't think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
gillum wrote:

No, I don't think so.

OK. So, the more detailed order for game setup might be the following:

1. Separate the 5 jokers from the 104 numbered cards, shuffling the latter. Each player is given 2 jokers and then dealt 11 numbered cards.

2. Shuffle the remaining joker with the remaining 82 numbered cards and deal 13 cards face-up to a “ghost player”. Sort these by value, to see which appear as single cards, pairs, etc.

3. Turn over the top 6 cards, laying them face up to form a row. Place all 13s and any joker from the ghost player’s hand onto the lowest cards of the row, to form card pairs.

4. Replenish the ghost’s hand to 13 cards. If 13s/joker turn up, they are placed on the card row again, the hand is replenished once more, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am so glad that everyone has had the patience to ask questions and give answers so thoroughly. I think I've finally wrapped my head around this one, and am looking forward to giving it a go.

Thanks, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
gillum wrote:

No, I don't think so.

is there a translation/source for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'd like to reverse my view, now that I've actually played this. I see no reason not to shuffle in the fifth joker in the deck before dealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Actually, I'd like to reverse my view, now that I've actually played this. I see no reason not to shuffle in the fifth joker in the deck before dealing.

oh yeah, I would play it either way - I was just wondering if I missed a sidebar rule or something was left out of a translation.

thanx for your contributions to these threads!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.