Subject: Way to differentiate decks -- a suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete McPherson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having owned Star Realms for about two weeks and played it 14 times (1v1), I enjoy this game a lot. I can't think of a game that comes anywhere close in terms of bang-for-your-buck. It's a huge game in a small box that plays in 20 minutes. I love it.

However, I don't feel like throwing down another $15 for a second set to incorporate more players just yet. I have a buddy who has been my primary opponent and wants to buy his own deck. Naturally, my deck's going to be a bit more worn than his, and we'd want to keep our decks separate without sleeving them. Without marking the cards somehow, I'm not sure how to do this.

So here's our idea:

Give each set of Star Realms its own color back out of four colors. There's really no conceivable need for having more than four decks. This way, you could buy the green deck and your buddy could buy the blue deck. You can play without the colors affecting gameplay and easily sort your cards without counting out the correct number for each faction. You could mix up to four decks and be able to sort them out afterward with ease.

Because this is not the case, I'm going to hold off on mixing decks for the time being.

edit: "blue" to "green"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McPherson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One a different note, does anyone have a solution besides sleeving to differentiate mixed decks? I might just make a teeny dot with a pen on my cards. I wish each game had a serial number or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a silver sharpie and just put a little dot in the bottom right of each card in my second deck. It's where the expansion symbol is on the promo cards if you've seen those. It's subtle but does the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McPherson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you put the dot on the back or front of each card? I might do just that.

edit:

Quote:
It's where the expansion symbol is

Nevermind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
I used a silver sharpie and just put a little dot in the bottom right of each card in my second deck. It's where the expansion symbol is on the promo cards if you've seen those. It's subtle but does the trick.

That's a damn good idea. Simple too.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, permanent marker is the way to go if you're not going to sleeve your cards. But who doesn't sleeve nowadays? Non-sleeving is so 2008.

Then again, with a MSRP of $15, sleeving Star Realms nearly doubles its cost. So I guess I'll let this one slide. Just don't let me catch you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
you could also try using a single deck for the trade row and just adding in more starting decks for more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
you could also try using a single deck for the trade row and just adding in more starting decks for more players.

That's what I do with the plan of bringing in deck 2 if the first ever becomes exhausted. So far with 3 and 4 player games I haven't had to go to the second deck, but it's nice to have a way to separate them back out if/when it does happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Yeah, permanent marker is the way to go if you're not going to sleeve your cards. But who doesn't sleeve nowadays? Non-sleeving is so 2008.

Then again, with a MSRP of $15, sleeving Star Realms nearly doubles its cost. So I guess I'll let this one slide. Just don't let me catch you again.

Sleeving is so 1992. With so much 'cult of the new', cards just don't wear out these days. Card condoms are wrong, let me feel the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas B
United States
Monroe
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamecat_uk wrote:

Sleeving is so 1992. With so much 'cult of the new', cards just don't wear out these days. Card condoms are wrong, let me feel the real thing.

First of all no one sleeved cards in 1992.

But more importantly once you get used to them, they make shuffling so much easier. I sleeved up my Star Realms more for this reason than actually protecting the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Alexander
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nottom wrote:
But more importantly once you get used to them, they make shuffling so much easier.

That's only true if you have no idea how to shuffle normal cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor H
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinA wrote:
nottom wrote:
But more importantly once you get used to them, they make shuffling so much easier.

That's only true if you have no idea how to shuffle normal cards.

No. Its easier even when you know how to shuffle nonsleeved cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.