Subject: Command and Colors? Other suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I owned 'Strike of the Eagle' at one point, but it fell flat with my local group and didn't hit the table. I'm looking for another war game and curious about the command and Colors, specifically the difference between ancients&Napoleonics(aside from the era) Also curious if something else trumps these entirely. I'm trying to avoid something with a laundrylist of rules that will require huge investment from anyone I try to teach, yet isn't so simple that I'm bored.

I also highly prize generic/random battle ability over specific scenarios.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I owned 'Strike of the Eagle' at one point, but it fell flat with my local group and didn't hit the table. I'm looking for another war game and curious about the command and Colors, specifically the difference between ancients&Napoleonics(aside from the era) Also curious if something else trumps these entirely. I'm trying to avoid something with a laundrylist of rules that will require huge investment from anyone I try to teach, yet isn't so simple that I'm bored.

I also highly prize generic/random battle ability over specific scenarios.

Thanks in advance!

If you like the C&C system it's used in quite a few games. If the people you will likely play with want a wargame (or wargame-ish) title but C&C is too dense, Memoir 44 might serve you well. If you want something with a fantasy theme that has extra options (magic and the variable scenario system), Battlelore 2nd Edition is easily obtainable and has received great reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What fell flat with SotE? What makes you thnik the C&C games will be better? Two main things that are different with C&C:N is that the amount of units are tied to the attack strength. In other C&C games, the number of units acted more as the amount of HP. C&C:N also added forming squares as an added tactic. My vote for a C&C system for the masses is BattleLore 2nd edition. Depending on what didn't work for your group, Sekigahara might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.