Popular Tags: [View All]
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played the demo a couple of times last night, with this set I made the day before...

I like the way the counter flipping system works.
The grenade mechanic is great.
The icons on counters and terrain work great.

But the game wasn't fun to play

I realise the demo scenario is limited, but it seemed like there were no interesting, tactical choices to make, and it was all over very quickly.
In one of the games, my opponent decided that the only usefull thing his machine gun team could do was move out of their cover, to block my route to the unit running away with the suitcase, to act as a speedbump, to cover their escape. A very chess like move, very uncharacteristic behaviour for an MG support unit I think.

I want to like the game, but playing the demo was a bit of a disappointment. Any hints/advice/clarifications that might help me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play the full game and let the demo be... a demo. Probably it isn't the best demo to show all the potential of this game, but judging if the game is good or bad by that only is useless. HoN is so deep that even after 2 or 3 plays you can't fully understand all the strategic possibilities this game will offer so don't stop to the first impression and go on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to hear what other players have experienced after playing the game (not just the demo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Chap
Austria
flag msg tools
It's amazing.

Great fun with scenarios which keep you entertained. Tactics in this game are very deep with so many possibilities.

Loads of replay ability.

Games of the year so far for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to chime in with this:

Picture a token moving to block another token as a fire-fight on the battlefield where neither side is really taking many casualties but both are limited in their advancement... kind of like trench suppression that happened in WWI and WWII. Not every move needs to end in a dead unit.

That said, a couple people have already mentioned that a demo is just a demo and there are so many other aspects of the game that aren't even touched. When you play a full scenario, your feelings may stay the same. But, you may start to see why others are so passionate about this system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...but judging if the game is good or bad by that only is useless.

There's no point in making a demo if it doesn't at least give you a hint...

Like I said above, I like what I've seen of the system, and the demo gives a good idea of how the system works.
I just wondered why DPG would go through all the work of creating a demo that lets itself down by presenting cool rules and stuff and then doesn't really let you do anything fun with that.
To sum up: the demo showed me an interesting system, but not a very intersting game.
And I was hoping that I had missed or misunderstood something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paletti
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played the demo game multiple times and now the first three secenarios of the full game a couple of times and also agree that the full game is so much more than the demo game. It is really great fun and a lot of depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You made a great looking demo kit. Were your expectations high?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zemus wrote:
You made a great looking demo kit. Were your expectations high?

Heh! I don't think I would call them high, but I expected a bit more pay-off for my efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try adding more tiles and units... may change things up a bit. In the original demo (before the kickstarter,) there was an expansion which added a tank and more units. I don't think you can find that file anymore, but printing more units may work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, tactical games require room to maneuver to make them more interesting. A one map demo might not allow for that.

I have not played the demo for this game so I do not know if that might be the case here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.