Hide
7 Posts

Citadels» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can the Warlord destroy a poorhouse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Goethem
msg tools
Is this allowed? In my opinion I would say NO.

We played the game yesterday and (after a loooooooong discussion) made our own rule where the warlord can destroy the poorhouse and gets an extra coin from the person who has build it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you do that?

The Warlord can destroy a Building, by paying one less than the cost to build it. In addition he earns one gold for each red building he owns (before or after building in the same turn).

The Poor House gives one coin to the owner, if the owner has no gold at the end of his turn. It costs 5 gold to build.

Since the Poor House has no special defence against the Warlord he can destroy it by paying 4 gold. End of discussion, just play by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the edition, the German/French edition had a printing error where the Poor House actually costs 0 to build! If the Warlord isn't paying $4 to destroy a 5-cost building, then he's paying nothing, or getting back $1 to destroy the Poor House.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Lars:, the Warlord can destroy the Poorhouse. The only building he can't destroy is the Keep, which specifically states the Warlord can't destroy it. (And of course he can't destroy any buildings of the player who is currently the Bishop).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Depending on the edition, the German/French edition had a printing error where the Poor House actually costs 0 to build! If the Warlord isn't paying $4 to destroy a 5-cost building, then he's paying nothing, or getting back $1 to destroy the Poor House.

I see what you mean now... compare these images:

English:

Dutch:

The Dutch version clearly shows the Poorhouse with NO gold cost, whereas the English version has it as 5 gold cost.

So the answer is really that due to the printing error, it should cost 5 to build, thus 4 to destroy. But if you want to play with it as-is, I'd say the Warlord destroys it for free (not receiving 1 gold!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
I concur with Lars:, the Warlord can destroy the Poorhouse. The only building he can't destroy is the Keep, which specifically states the Warlord can't destroy it. (And of course he can't destroy any buildings of the player who is currently the Bishop).

And even then, it really should specifically state "with his ability", as the Warlord can still destroy buildings it otherwise can't using the Armory/Powderhouse building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Goethem
msg tools
Thanks!
I wasn't aware of this (intentional) printing error of the Dutch version. 5 golds for a POORhouse is quite expensive!

Anyway, next time we're going to play the game the discussions would be (hopefully) a lot shorter with this information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.