Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on getting this but I don't know where to start (which product to get first) and then where to go from there. Really remind me of pathfinder adventure card game. Thanks for any replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TS series
TS is the base game
e1 = Wraith Of The Elements = came in the nice, smaller, space efficient box
e2 = Doomgate Legion =
e3 = Dragonspire = expansion + standalone set since it comes with the foundation/starter cards. Also the same sized box as base game, but made more efficient in storage. Comes with plastic XP tokens.

e4 = Thornwood Siege = Gameplay elements to not Rest out and Destroy Militia from the get-go. This was the first one I didn't purchase nor play
There are more expansions within this series... 1 or 2 more IIRC. One has some fancy-ish hologram, sigil logos/markings on the box cover.

TS Advance
There's some starter set, some base game set for this series, and 5 to 6 more expansions AFAIK, not counting modules which seem to be add-ons/minor expansions.

TS could've been done better in where they ended up revising the rulebook to a higher version, how "attack" refers to "physical attack" or "total attack" depending on context (as opposed to "magic attack"). They did improve upon the box design though, which helps immensely. You won't really need to come up with your own custom solution unlike Dominion, but you're free to for even more efficiency. All that said, still a fun game if you want a DBG with a dungeon crawl theme.

TS:A I've tried one game of. I'm pre-influenced as I've already played TS a lot before hand. However, despite how it was more harder to get used to this, I do like the improvements. They color coded the backgrounds to match the types so Heroes, Monsters, items, weapons, and spells are easy to recognize. Used "physical attack" vs. "magic attack". Boards are available, but just enforce having minimum # of types when randomizing cards, which was sort of done as variants previously. While you can mix TS:A and TS cards (this was done with my only game of TS:A), you'll need to "mentally translate" terms between the two... for example total attack vs. attack, but also how when going to the dungeon, BATTLE in TS is now AFTERMATH in TS:A

In short, TS:A is cleaner, but TS is more classic. Otherwise, please post more details of what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Temple
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for the same thing.

I understand TS:A is the way to go, because it's a 2.0 version.

But even with TS:A I don't understand the options.

Should I start Towers of Ruin or Worlds Collide?
Or the Starter Set?

Are Towers of Ruin and Worlds Collide compatible or one replace the other?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My recommendation would be to start with Towers of Ruin, but World Collide would be fine, too. The two sets are compatible with one another...you'll just have two sets of the starter cards and experience tokens. I strongly recommend getting the advance stuff over the original TS: the rules are better, and a number of the old cards are be reprinted anyway (Worlds Collide is all reprints from the original TS line updated with current rulesand card frames, the next expansion will be more such reprints)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Thunderstone Advance: Numenera? Any reasons for or against starting with that one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mibb wrote:
What about Thunderstone Advance: Numenera? Any reasons for or against starting with that one?

If I could have only one set, that would be my vote. Numenera has more content than any other set, and has some really interesting cards, like Learned, Unstable Crystals, and Ultraterrestials.

See also Price per Stack and Release History charts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.