Popular Tags: [View All]
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4794

Looks epic! I've always enjoyed larger matches because of the cinematic feel and because of the squad building options it opens up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Marky
Hungary
Budaörs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New spoiled card names!

Gunnery team
Engineering team
Sensor team

Jaina's Light

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Monson
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also says that the Corvette should be out this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really curious how long these matches would take to finish.
How long do you think the time limit should be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 hours. I'm not joking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yer, three hours with efficient play.

I'm fine with that being an old WH40K player. If you're after the shorter time frame, you still have the standard 100pt rules to play.

I don't know if I'd be imposing a time limit on these types of games myself. They really don't seem to be setup for tournament play, more fun play. But if you wanted a time limit, 3hrs seems reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played team epic a couple days after the rules were announced. We had to pack up after 2.5 hours, but probably would have had a fairly clear winner if we'd played another couple turns (e.g. 30 minutes). There were 5 A-wings (incl Arvel), 3 generic B-wings and 8 X-wings (incl Wedge, Luke, Garven and Biggs) on the Rebel side, and all 6 named TIE Fighters, 4 Firesparays (incl Boba Fett and Kath Scarlet), a Lambda Shuttle (Jendon) and 3 TIE Bombers (incl Jonus) on the Imperial side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, the time-requirements for Epic are going to make it a very different experience. I imagine some players will prefer the long cinematic experience of Epic games while others will prefer to stick to the more standard 100pt dogfights, and still others will enjoy the variety afforded by mixing it up.

More options for play is a good thing, and I'm drawn by the lure of piloting an entire Rebel fighter squadron at once. I think Team Epic sounds much more interesting than normal Epic, as it turns a long table-time experience to a more social event.

Now I need to see just how long my dining table gets with all of the leaves in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
Yea, the time-requirements for Epic are going to make it a very different experience. I imagine some players will prefer the long cinematic experience of Epic games while others will prefer to stick to the more standard 100pt dogfights, and still others will enjoy the variety afforded by mixing it up.

I'm thinking I'd like to try a hybrid squad setup: 150 points and no more than 1 huge ship per side. Hopefully that will keep the playtime down to a couple hours, but still allow for a larger scale game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, Rogue Squadron (12 X-Wings), anyone?

Wedge
Wes
Luke
Jek
Garven
Biggs
Hobbie
Tarn
Rookie
Rookie
Rookie
Rookie

is only 295 points, with five left over for goodies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

Wedge
Wes
Luke
Jek
Garven
Biggs
Hobbie
Tarn
Rookie
Rookie
Rookie
Rookie

Garven, Jek and Biggs were never part of Rogue Squadron. Tycho Celchu was, as well as Ten Numb, Ibtisam and Corran Horn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MOELANDER wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:

Wedge
Wes
Luke
Jek
Garven
Biggs
Hobbie
Tarn
Rookie
Rookie
Rookie
Rookie

Garven, Jek and Biggs were never part of Rogue Squadron. Tycho Celchu was, as well as Ten Numb, Ibtisam and Corran Horn.

So call it Red Squadron at Yavin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Backlund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vagabond Elf wrote:
MOELANDER wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:

Wedge
Wes
Luke
Jek
Garven
Biggs
Hobbie
Tarn
Rookie
Rookie
Rookie
Rookie

So call it Red Squadron at Yavin.

Wes, Hobbie and Tarn didn't participate in The Battle of Yavin. Tarn hadn't even joined the rebels yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zembar wrote:

Wes, Hobbie and Tarn didn't participate in The Battle of Yavin. Tarn hadn't even joined the rebels yet...

That,and the only surviving pilots of the battle of Yavin 4 were Wedge Antilles, Luke Skywalker and Keyan Farlander in a Y-Wing.

And Chewbacca and Han Solo of course.

The whole rest of Red and Gold Squadron was shot down. So even if Wes, Hobbie and Tarn would have flown in the battle, they'd be among the casualties.

If you want a proper themed Rogue Squadron, you either use oopinou's very good pilot card creator to make Pilot cards of Tycho, Ibtisam, Ten Numb, Corran Horn in a X-Wing, like my brother and I did, or you use a mixed craft squadron.

Both options are viable, though only one is tournament legal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Wittwer
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team Epic sure looks like fun. But we really need a huge Imperial ship, the turbolasers on the CR-90 have little use at this point and it would make Epic less asymmetric than it seems to be currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOELANDER wrote:

Yea, I know. I was just going for a 12 X-Wing list, since at least in the novels that's what Rogue Squadron flies.

To be more thematic I suppose you could use:

Wedge
Wes
Luke
Hobbie
Tarn
Red Squad x7

Still leaves 5pts for upgrades, and is thematically appropriate for the time of Hoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TobyW wrote:
Team Epic sure looks like fun. But we really need a huge Imperial ship, the turbolasers on the CR-90 have little use at this point and it would make Epic less asymmetric than it seems to be currently.

I am interested at what the gunnery Team upgrade does. I f they e.g. extend the range of the ships guns, then the CR90 will be a huge falcon with up to 4 turrets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
MOELANDER wrote:

Yea, I know. I was just going for a 12 X-Wing list, since at least in the novels that's what Rogue Squadron flies.

Wedge
Wes
Luke
Hobbie
Tarn
Red Squad x7

Still leaves 5pts for upgrades, and is thematically appropriate for the time of Hoth.

Biggs and Porkins could be considered members of Rogue Squadron. Although it was officially formed after their demise at the Battle of Yavin, Rogue Squadron consisted primarily of members of Red Squadron that did survive. I thought they were actually considered "honorary" members as far as most people(in the Star Wars EU and out) were concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:
MOELANDER wrote:

Wedge
Wes
Luke
Hobbie
Tarn
Red Squad x7

Biggs and Porkins could be considered members of Rogue Squadron. Although it was officially formed after their demise at the Battle of Yavin, Rogue Squadron consisted primarily of members of Red Squadron that did survive. I thought they were actually considered "honorary" members as far as most people(in the Star Wars EU and out) were concerned.

Wedge treated them like Rogues, and he ought to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean H
Japan
Yokosuka
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOELANDER wrote:
TobyW wrote:

I am interested at what the gunnery Team upgrade does. I f they e.g. extend the range of the ships guns, then the CR90 will be a huge falcon with up to 4 turrets!

More likely a focus for the CR90.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Malus wrote:
MOELANDER wrote:
TobyW wrote:

More likely a focus for the CR90.

That'd be nice, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.