Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you know the ropes the game seems to resolve too predictably into a dour struggle for the historical Union defensive position. The first day in particular seems too pat for the Union - delay and withdraw, rather than delay, vicious and desperate counterattack, and withdraw. On day 2 a Union player is not going to move forward towards the Emmitsburg road as Dan Sickles did.
So I want to create a bit more uncertainty with the victory conditions.

At the start of the game each side randomly draws a secret objective chit for Day 1 (from a pool of 4 possible objective chits). At the end of the afternoon on Day 1 if you have yours under control but they do not have theirs under control the game ends and you win a tactical victory. In all other circumstances the game continues normally and the Day 1 objective chits are discarded.

At the end of Night on Day 1 each side randomly draws a secret objective chit for Day 2 (from a pool of 3 possible objective chits). At the end of the afternoon on Day 2 if you have yours under control but they do not have theirs under control the game ends and you win a tactical victory. In all other circumstances the game continues normally and the Day 2 objective chits are discarded.

The game can also be won using the normal victory conditions in the normal way. This represents an operational victory.

A tactical victory means that the other side will withdraw relatively intact and avoid further deepening of the encounter battle. A player who has a tactical victory can immediately choose to discount it and play on for an operational victory, but once that decision is made there is no going back!

Day 1 Objectives:
Emmitsburg road area east of area containing label Pitzer's Run.
Area between Gettysburg and Cemetery Hill.
Area between Gettysburg and Culp's Hill.
Area north of Wolf's Hill.

Day 2 Objectives:
Area west of the Round Tops.
Cemetery Hill.
Wolf's Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does not say it, but obviously an operational victory is worth more than a tactical victory. Perhaps this might express it:

Tactical Victory on Day 1 = 1 victory point.
Tactical Victory on Day 2 = 2 victory points.
Operational Victory on any day = 3 victory points.

On Day 1 you can discount a tactical victory in the hope of achieving an operational victory or a Day 2 tactical victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On reflection I think there should be 4 objectives on both days:

Day 1 Objectives:
Emmitsburg road area east of area containing label Pitzer's Run.(The Peach Orchard)

Day 2 Objectives:
Area west of the Round Tops. (Devil's Den)
Area west of Cemetery Ridge. (Trostle House/The Wheatfield)
Cemetery Hill.
Wolf's Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More reflection suggests that there are now too many possible Day 2 objectives on the Union left, what with Devil's Den, Wheatfield, and the victory from a single area of the Round Tops. This would not make the Confederates sweat enough. So:

Day 1 Objectives:
Emmitsburg road area east of area containing label Pitzer's Run.(The Peach Orchard)

Day 2 Objectives:
Area west of Cemetery Ridge. (Trostle House/The Wheatfield)
Cemetery Hill.
Culp's Hill
Wolf's Hill.

Now two of the Day 2 secret objectives are inside the Union defensive position, gving both sides something to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think it should be that you have to control both objectives to win tactically, so that if theirs was empty it would not count for you. This increases the possibilities of feints.

At the start of the game each side randomly draws a secret objective chit for Day 1 (from a pool of 4 possible objective chits). At the end of the afternoon on Day 1 if you have both yours under control and theirs under control the game ends and you win a tactical victory. In all other circumstances the game continues normally and the Day 1 objective chits are discarded.

At the end of Night on Day 1 each side randomly draws a secret objective chit for Day 2 (from a pool of 4 possible objective chits). At the end of the afternoon on Day 2 if you have both yours under control and theirs under control the game ends and you win a tactical victory. In all other circumstances the game continues normally and the Day 2 objective chits are discarded.

The game can also be won using the normal victory conditions in the normal way. This represents an operational victory.

A tactical victory means that the other side will withdraw relatively intact and avoid further deepening of the encounter battle. A player who has a tactical victory can immediately choose to discount it and play on for an operational victory, but once that decision is made there is no going back.

Operational Victory on any Day = 3 victory points.

Day 1 Objectives:
Emmitsburg road area east of area containing label Pitzer's Run.

Day 2 Objectives:
Area west of Cemetery Ridge.
Cemetery Hill.
Culp's Hill.
Wolf's Hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously you know your own objective chit - only the other side's chit is secret to you till the end of the afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First trial of this today produced a Union tactical victory for me on Day 1. He had the Peach Orchard as his objective while mine was the area north of Wolf's Hill. My opponent was learning the game and did not push forward hard enough, relying to much on artillery bombardment. However, it had a dramatic effect on my Union play. I decided it was worth defending more forward, thinking that he would therefore think my objective was one of the two central ones. So I had a position in the Lutheran Seminary and Barlow's Knoll, as historically.

This invigorates the game I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An Operational victory (i.e. victory by the normal original rules) should always trump and over-ride a Tactical victory (i.e a victory by the variant rules) occurring at the same time. For instance, a Confederate control of the Round Tops at the end of the afternoon beats a Union player who has a tactical victory at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Final wording of the variant:

Tactical Victory Variant
At the start of the game each side randomly draws a secret objective chit for Day 1 (from a pool of 4 possible objective chits). You see your own chit, but not that of the other player. At the end of the afternoon on Day 1 both sides reveal their chit. If you have both your objective under control and theirs under control then the game ends and you win a tactical victory. In all other circumstances the game continues normally and the Day 1 objective chits are discarded.

At the end of Night on Day 1 each side randomly draws a secret objective chit for Day 2 (from a pool of 4 possible objective chits). At the end of the afternoon on Day 2 if you have both yours under control and theirs under control the game ends and you win a tactical victory. In all other circumstances the game continues normally and the Day 2 objective chits are discarded.

The game can also be won using the normal victory conditions in the normal way. This represents an operational victory. An operational victory takes effect, not a tactical victory, if both occur at the same time. A player who has gained a tactical victory can immediately choose to discount it and play on to try to gain a better level of victory, but once that decision is made there is no going back, and he could end up losing instead.

By winning a tactical victory you have ensured that the other side will avoid further escalation of the encounter battle, but also that they will be able to withdraw relatively intact.

Operational Victory on any Day = 3 victory points.

Day 1 Objectives:
Emmitsburg road area east of area containing label Pitzer's Run. (The Peach Orchard)

Day 2 Objectives:
Area west of Cemetery Ridge. (The Wheatfield)
Cemetery Hill.
Culp's Hill.
Wolf's Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.