Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my notes on my initial reading of the PBH rules. Since I don't have the game yet, some questions have been answered by Hard Boiled Gregg's thread with a detailed component list. Feel free to join in the discussion.

1. (p1) What is a "Set Up Card"? (4 are provided).

2. (p2) Interceptor--The 'Extra Crew Quarters' Upgrade may be useful here.

3. (p5) Is Bounty Hunting an exception to "You must be working a Piracy Job to attack another ship? (Yes, see p. 10).

4. (p7) Just a thought exercise--does each Firefly have a different configuration of Stashes? They must, otherwise they would be too easy to find. So does a Captain have the builder add them, or customize them on his own? Probably the latter, to keep his own secrets!

5. (p7) Reorganizing goods when being targeted by Piracy is a great and important rule. Try not to forget it the first time out!

6. (p7) If you steal an Active Job, does it then become your Inactive Job? (I'd guess yes, since it goes to your "hand" of inactive jobs). Can you steal an Inactive Job? (I'd guess no). This is answered on another thread: Ammnon Duul's Piracy Job only allows you to steal Inactive Jobs! For now, you can't steal an Active Job. So, when you take a target's Inactive Jobs, do you get to see his Hand and choose? (I'd guess yes--its an awful lot of work to go through to not get a choice!!!

7. (p9) "Last Seen" on a Bounty Card would seem to identify the fugitive's Supply Deck, based on the example shown.

8. (p9) If you catch a fugitive but he is then dropped from the Most Wanted List, can you still turn him in for the Bounty? (This cannot happen, as p11 says you take the Bounty Card from the List when you capture him).

9. (p11) Are all fugitives to be delivered to the Alliance Cruiser? (This is answered by the other thread in that Cortex Alert/group bounties are dropped off on other planets). Which brings up further questions: Is this true for any individual fugitives? Are the drop off locations for group bounties far away from their Supply Planets? Knowing the fiendish game designers, I'd guess yes. Then again it must vary, since different group members may be from different Supply Planets. Hmmm...

10. (p14) Do the 'color coded' Haven tokens include the three variant ship types (don't forget Artful Dodger)?

After just seeing Gregg's thread, I responded to his question of "Who chooses the casualty in a Showdown?"

11. I'd think, since the Active Player usually chooses his own casualty in various situations, such as a Reaver Attack, that in a Showdown its the Defender, (rather than the Attacker as Gregg suggests). Both of us could see it either way, so its important that we get an answer on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Murfreesboro
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Set-up cards" are leaders and drive cores. The 4 in PBH are Early and Sash and their ships' respective drive cores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There are seven Havens, one for each ship including the Artful Dodger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. They might, but there are other upgrades that might do better in those 2 slots. The Electronics Defense Suite, for one. Perhaps the Cryo Stasis Unit.

5. Yes, and as the rules advise, protecting your contraband/cargo may be useful but you'll want some fuel, too.

6. With regards to being able to look at the defender's hand and choose which inactive jobs to steal, I'd guess so. However, you might as well take them all anyway, even if just to discard them, since you're getting $800 for each one, as well as severely disrupting that player's plans.

7. Correct.

9. No. My apologies, I figured this was already established with the first glimpses at bounty cards months ago. Many of them are the 'Command Cruiser' or places in the White Sun system. Interesting to note that Jayne and Stitch are both to be dropped off on Harvest, Red Sun, with Jayne worth slightly more.

11. It's worth clarifying in your example that the Reavers are the 'Attackers', and it's the 'Defender' who chooses which of their Crew is Killed. With a Piracy Job, it's one of the Attacker's own Crew being Killed from the result of a failed attempt, so slightly different.

The Active player usually gets to choose these things, but I figured it would be extra punishment if the Defender got to decide. Though, if they had Sash's Hand Cannon, which disgruntles Leaders, that could be very disastrous for the Attacker...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, for your helpful comments. I'm interested in hearing from anyone else too. I expect I'll have the game in hand myself in a week or so. As a generalization I'd say the first expansion in most board games is usually the most important one (not counting Breakin' Atmo, which doesn't seem to count).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I didn't find it in the PBH rules, but how many times can I repeat Boarding tests and showdowns against the same rival player? Can I try several times in the same turn provided I do have enough work actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Per the bask rules, you can't take more than one of any type of action per turn so there's no reason to think you can take two work actions in a single turn here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, how could I forget the basic rules. ;-) Too much PBH, I suppose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to wonder about the ramifications for the Supply Decks, assuming one adds all the cards from expansions as they come out. This will include:

1. Changed odds of finding a particular Crew or Gear card before all the cards come out into their Discard piles.

2. Increased types of cards to be found on any particular Supply Planet.

3. Increased time to get all the cards out into their Discard piles, with a variation from new cards that allow you to peek ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemek
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One question.
Page 9, up:

Quote:
Alliance Alert Update

Every time the “Alliance Cruiser” Nav Card is drawn, update the Most Wanted List: return the 3 face-up Bounties to the bottom of the Bounty Deck and reveal 3 new Bounties.

But... there is no card such "Alliance Cruiser" in the Nav Deck.
Am I right, it should be "Alliance Contact"?

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know about you, but MY Alliance Nav Card deck does indeed have an "Alliance Cruiser" card.

The "Alliance Contact" reference card is something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziemek
Poland
Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my apologize. In my country is 2:36 am I was looking at reference card.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Get some sleep!

Also, not really your fault. GF9 didn't do a great job at consistency in some cases, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.