Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have about 12 games in my closet (many with expansions) which I have acquired over the last few years. I was recently searching for a new addition to my collection, and came across Cosmic Encounter. I purchased the base game with all of the expansions, hoping that my group would enjoy the game.

I watched a bunch of youtube videos and read the electronic rulebook, and the games were delivered yesterday afternoon. I opened the boxes, punched out the chits and bits, put them in baggies, then our guests arrived.

It took about 25 minutes to setup, and after doing my best to explain how the game works, we dove right in.

Play was a little slow and tentative at first, but we started to get the hang of things.

About an hour into the game, we were totally hooked and entrenched in some wicked fun battles. People's poker faces were displayed, promises were made (and broken) special abilities were blocked, attack cards were reinforced, and then we all got to a score of 4. The game kicked into overdrive at that point, and people were pulling all the stops, and risking everything.

With an epic ending resulting in two out of the four players winning, we all cheered, and spent the next 15 minutes putting the game away, while reliving pivotal moments of the game.

Although we realized we need to fine tune our adherence to some rule and game dynamics, we had a total blast playing this for the first time. One player had never played this kind of game before, and was intimidated at first, but they really caught on, participated in the win, and is already talking about returning for the next game night.

What I don't get is why I have not discovered this game before? I have games like Mansions of Madness, Lord of the Rings LCG, A Touch of Evil, Shadows over Camelot, Fortune and Glory, Last Night on Earth, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Pandemic, Bang!, etc... This game fits perfectly into my collection, and after a few more plays, and a little more exploration of the rules, I can see this game being frequently requested by my group.

Can't wait for my deep space fabric table cloth to arrive next week. That should perfectly complement the theme and set the backdrop for many more epic gaming sessions with this title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up with this game- been playing since circa 1982. Currently own 4 versions of it! Glad you finally found and are enjoying a classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game every group/family should own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
You have not discovered it because people and cult of the new (euro).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! Cult of the New! How many gamers have been deprived of great gaming experiences because of this evil, evil cult?

CE has been around since 1977: Cosmic Encounter
And has gone out of print and been re-released by different companies: Cosmic Encounter

Usually, when the original company that published a game goes out of business, that's the last you'll ever hear of that game. But CE is the game that will not stay dead!

If one were to make a list of the top 10-20 most influential and innovative games of all time, CE would definitely be on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Jackson
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had sort of the same experience... except I bought my copy a few years ago (and the 2 expansions somewhere along the way), and just never got it out to the table with the gaggle of other games I own... which is really a shame. I knew better from seeing it mentioned several times on Dice Tower thingies.... it just rarely came to mind when it actually came time to get something new down.

I was asked to summon up something for 6 players for an impromptu game night... there aren't a ton I have that would fit all 6 players' tastes (examples were GoT board game, Eclipse, Rex, Escape..). I just grabbed this one on a whim... and am I ever glad I did! Same experience as you, the whole group loved it despite a little sticky start getting our heads around the alien powers, flash cards, artifacts, and how it all should fit together in play. But after a little bit... what a wild ride... how did it take me so long to get this out too? Always something shiny and new to buy while the other stuff gathers dust... what am fool I am cry

As a matter of fact I raced home and just ordered the remaining 2 expansions to try 8 players and teams at least... and the variety of all the different aliens, there are so many... excellent, incredibly enjoyable hectic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.