Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Graber
United States
Louisville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering why in this game (and the other 18xx games), when a share is sold on the public market, why do the dividends paid for these shares go to the company? It would seem that the public has purchased these shares and the dividends should go to the bank (public). I know this is true in the Baltimore and Ohio game (which makes more logical sense to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, this is how it is done in many of the early 18xx games, such as 1830. I believe the main reason it is the way it is is because that was the standard.

If you look at the rules for 2038: Tycoons of the Asteroid Belt Expansion Set, you will see a variation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Graber
United States
Louisville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had downloaded and printed out the expansion, but hadn't read it yet. After reading it these rules seem like good additions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
sgraber wrote:
I'm wondering why in this game (and the other 18xx games), when a share is sold on the public market, why do the dividends paid for these shares go to the company? It would seem that the public has purchased these shares and the dividends should go to the bank (public).

Indeed. When I revisited the 18xx financial system (after 2038, for 1834 and 1846), I went with this alternative approach. But, these systems have the feature that "unwanted" public shares (those in the stock market) may possibly be bought back by the company.

One way to think of corp. dividends for public shares is that this is implicitly modeling stock repurchases. For the 2038 expansion, I made this explicit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Graber
United States
Louisville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi
France
Paris
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The explanation I give is that you always sell the shares to your own employees, and they spend their revenue on the boutique of your companie.

It's a little bit convoluted, but it works.
Even if the comparison is not that accurate, think about ford employees that were paid well, but all of them would use their salary to buy a car from the factory at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.