Subject: Scifi Deck Builder Similar to Thunderstone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Waring
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
I've done a fair bit of looking around for this and I can't seem to find any. I'd like a sci-fi deck builder that is similar to other deck builders like Thunderstone. The theme of Thunderstone is not fitting for my game group. Most of us are heavily into science fiction. I know of the games like Eminent Domain and Core Worlds, but I'm really looking for more of the dungeon, leveling up heroes, ect. It may be that nothing like this really exists, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you taken a look at Thunderstone Advance: Numenera? It's not full on sci-fi, more science fantasy, but could work for you. I'm not a huge Thunderstone fan but that's definitely my favorite set of that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
s00pahFr0g wrote:
I've done a fair bit of looking around for this and I can't seem to find any. I'd like a sci-fi deck builder that is similar to other deck builders like Thunderstone. The theme of Thunderstone is not fitting for my game group. Most of us are heavily into science fiction. I know of the games like Eminent Domain and Core Worlds, but I'm really looking for more of the dungeon, leveling up heroes, ect. It may be that nothing like this really exists, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

Take a look at Star Realms.

It ticks some of your boxes, but not all.

For:
- It is a Sci-Fi deckbuilder
- There are different game modes (teams, 1-v-all, solo, co-op) in addition to a straight-out free-for-all.
- It's only $15 (on Amazon, so probably cheaper elsewhere)
- It plays very quickly, maybe 20 mins or so 2-player.

Against
- There are no characters, or character progression
- There's no feel of a dungeon, or anything similar. There's a central draw pile, as in Ascension: Deckbuilding Game. You buy stuff from it using gold, and your 'attack' is directed against other players.

It's worth a look, imho. I've subscribed to this to see what peple come up with, as I'm searching for exactly the same (although Core Worlds is near perfect for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Waring
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
I will look into Numenera. I forgot about Star Realms. I will probably pick it up. I do like Core Worlds and Eminent Domain but I would like one with rpg aspects. 3012 sounds close but it has pretty poor reviews. I've heard it's like Munchkin and my whole group likes Munchkin so maybe I will try that. I do like the theme quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
You could look into Galactic Strike Force.

I watched this video recently
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/45207/galactic-strike-force/d...
...and it is the closer thing I can think of to a engine-building deck-builder with different "characters" (spaceships).

Never played through (I believe it is coming out these days).

HTH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Waring
United States
Cape Coral
Florida
flag msg tools
I actually watched a video on Galactic Strike Force myself this morning. It looks a lot of fun and I like Sentinels a lot although it's not deck building game.

I looked into Numenera and I'm rather pleased. I looked into the roleplaying game it's based on I like how what they think is magic is ancient technology. A lot of the monsters are very alien. I will definitely be purchasing it.

You'd think with the number of deck building games there are in existence there would be at least one good heavy sci-fi with rpg elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonus: Numenera uses a d20. So its got that real RPG feel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
A game that may offer what you are looking for:

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation

In the game you can level your ensigns to lieutenants and commanders. Also, you can level any of this non-named characters to named characters of the series. On top of that you can improve your ship by caputuring other ships.

I like the game, but there are three main flaws to it:

* Crappy rulebook: The rulebook is really bad, but there are very good explanatory videos on the geek which cancel out the problem.

* Runaway Leader problem: When a player gets to capture a new ship early in the game he will likely win the game, as new ships supply special bonuses each and every turn (you put them in front of you). This is not so much of a problem in the fantastic coop Borg scenario.

* Theme: Some players have a problem with the theme of the game as you can have characters of multiple species aboard your ship.

Another game you might want to look into is the

Resident Evil Deck Building Game

It also suffers from a bad rulebook, but is another deckbuilder that offers leveling of your character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it does not have to be a deckbuilder, maybe check out...

Galaxy Defenders
Gears of War: The Board Game

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.