Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife booked us a 5 day Bahamas cruise recently, and I am planning on bringing a few games for our days at sea. Here are my criteria:

-Travels easily (no Nations sized boxes)
-Works well with 2
-Has a relatively small table footprint
-Low direct combat/interaction
-We have a lot of small travel card games... I am looking for something slightly longer/meatier (around Castles of Burgundy in length/complexity)
-Coops are fine
-Has a good theme (my wife can't get into abstracts)
-We play some very brain melty games normally, but this should be a little more relaxed. We want interesting strategic decisions, but not ones that will be too difficult after a few drinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
I immediately starting thinking of games that used cards or tiles for their board, so they wouldn't add much to your suitcases. I'm sure there are many obvious choices in the "small travel card games" you already mentioned.

How about Targi, Asgard's Chosen, or Upon a Fable???

I guess Shipyard is out and, of course Panamax isn't ready
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you don't own San Juan or Quiddler. Packed in plastic bags without their boxes, they take up almost no space. My friend and I brought both of those on a cruise, among other games. We played in public spaces and were able to introduce passers-by to both without much effort. Our new friends liked them.

How about Rivals for Catan or Catan Card Game? I didn't check to see if you owned either of those. They're tiny, longer than a filler. But they're for only 2 players so you can't invite any other cruisers to join you.

Or Roma or Arena: Roma II. Also tiny. 2-player only.

Or Race for the Galaxy, Glory to Rome, Guildhall. All card games that can be packed in plastic bags.

I carried a small, child-sized, backpack and put all the games in it. You can even carry boards - just put them in an envelope or separate large plastic bag for protection and pack them against the part of the backpack that will be closest to your own back. They'll stay flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you missed the gaming cruise in March... Maybe next year?

If you are traveling on Carnival Fascination, check the ship's library - Rio Grande donated games for the gaming cruise on the condition that we leave them there.

San Juan
Eight-Minute Empire (maybe too light but a good game)
Race for the Galaxy (travels well without the box)
Dominion (though the box might be too big)
Saint Petersburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboat? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
Too bad you missed the gaming cruise in March... Maybe next year?

If you are traveling on Carnival Fascination, check the ship's library - Rio Grande donated games for the gaming cruise on the condition that we leave them there.

San Juan
Eight-Minute Empire (maybe too light but a good game)
Race for the Galaxy (travels well without the box)
Dominion (though the box might be too big)
Saint Petersburg

Ummm... wow, we are on the Fascination. That's amazing. Definitely PM me about next year. Any ideas what is in their library?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I committed the couples boardgaming sin of playing Rftg on the internet and solitaire against the Keldon AI, which unfortunately ruined one of our best two player games. I have considered whether alien artifacts might refresh the game for us...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is San Juan different enough from PR and RFTG to justify buying it?

My wife and I didn't really like the Catan card game, so we traded that. Is Rivals a totally different game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Bauer
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivals of catan is catan card game revamp.

Small and thematic coop is red November. Comes in a tiny box, but with a lot of game in there.

+1. Targi
+1 San Juan (think RFTG lite)
+1. Race for the galaxy

Also consider jambo, Asante, voluspa? I also really like the trick taking drafting game called food fight.

Look at dice tower reviews for:
Spyrium--deep worker placement in tiny box
Also, splendour--got rave reviews from Tom vasel--looks cool!

Don't forget, when traveling, repackage those games which come in the golden cocoons (box overly large). You can easily fit games like Among the stars in smaller packages, that, or fit other smaller games into one game box for the road. Among the stars rocks, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll be picking up Targi for sure. Is there any significant difference in editions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:

From PR yes.
However, unless you want a lighter game, I don't think you need San Juan (if you have RFTG). Good game though,but no need for both (in my opinion).

Monopoly Deal Card Game, ignore "Monopoly", this game is great with 2

Edit:clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
SOS Titanicwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
-- +1 for Guildhall but the amount of direct interaction in this game is pretty high, especially with two.

-- Louis XIV, plays great with two, and pretty deep for a quick and small-boxed game. It has Renaissance theme, so I don't know if that sounds abstract to you.

-- Star Realms. This is a 2-player card/deck building game. I have not tried it myself, sadly.

-- Santiago de Cuba.

-- Tournay. This one meats all your criteria listed, except for the small footprint (doesn't take much space actually). Perfect for two, same length as Burgundy, consist mostly cards, with interesting decisions in hand.

-- Le Havre: The Inland Port

Please update us on what you're going with yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Overton
msg tools
Splendor, Morels, Fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons would be great, but the box isn't small.
The Road to Canterbury is ideal for three, but works well with two.
Carcassonne: South Seas (any version) - no real board so you could ditch the box even and bag it.
Alea Iacta Est - no board also on this one so you could also ditch the box.
Rattus is a very small box for a medium depth game.
Quarriors! - ditch the box. Might be ideal for this situation.
Eight-Minute Empire: Legends is the biggest game in the smallest box for my money.
Iconica is not well known, but has no board and is perfect for two.
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game doesn't really need the board. You could put the cards in a white cardboard card-box along with the vp gems and it would have a small footprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glundee1 wrote:

My wife and I didn't really like the Catan card game, so we traded that. Is Rivals a totally different game?

As already stated, San Juan is Race light. The reason I suggested it is because you can easily teach it to other passengers.

glundee1 wrote:
I think I'll be picking up Targi for sure. Is there any significant difference in editions?

I may be wrong, but I think only the cover art was changed when Targi came to U.S. stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
We are taking a cruise later this month and I've been doing some research for exactly the same kind of game: small but meatier and replayable. We also want a diverse collection of mechanics and themes. Here's what we were considering bringing (all of these can be condensed to practically the size of a deck box or a ziplock bag):

Tournay
Race for the Galaxy
Spyrium
Fleet
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Mundus Novus
Legacy: Gears of Time (leaving the board at home)
Dungeon Twister: The Card Game
Würfel Bohnanza
Plus, of course, our decks for the three LCGs we play (Game of Thrones, Android: Netrunner, and LOTR)

We considered these, but may pass due to the large amount of table space they require:
Lucca the City of Games
Gem Rush
Shadows over the Empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.