Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
don vandrei
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I loved the first edition, it felt like a real adventure so I got the new version when it came out and finally played it with my son this morning. We played the intro scenerio and he beat me after 5 straight turns of stunning me with his blue dude and pounding me with mauler while my goblins just sat there and pinged away at him doing one damage each turn. My question is when does this get fun? He killed my fist ettin, blocked my path, and then we just sat there trading attacks, rolling the same dice for the next twenty minutes until he finally won. Is this how the game plays, are all the scenerios like this, post up in a spot, then roll the dice.

Please no fan boy responses, if your the kind of dude who cannot hate a game just because you spent money on it then don't even respond. I am looking for a good dungeon crawler that I can love to play and this was not as fun as the first edition. Granted the first edition took 6 hours but it was 6 hours of fun that my group will always remember. I also have Super Dungeon Explore which I haven't played yet. If the second edition is like this the entire time I think I will just repurchase the first edition again because while I had fun playing with my son who is 13 the gameplay was like a trip to the dentists office, boring and tedious. Anyone have the same feelings as me?

I submitted a pic of the gameplay to show how the game went for the last 5 turns.

Edit, ok I thinker played it a little wrong as I looked for the abilities for the monsters in the rulebook and found nothing. I guess if I would have flipped the card I would have seen what scamper was, thus knowing that my goblins could move through spaces containing heroes. This would have definitely changed the game. Well I spent 20 minutes on this thread so I am not deleting it even though it all makes sense to me now. Have fun with it, I am sure some people will start complaining and responding before even reading this far, lol. Enjoy the picture and I hope you can understand my frustration without the scamper ability...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dvandrei wrote:
I loved the first edition, it felt like a real adventure so I got the new version when it came out and finally played it with my son this morning. We played the intro scenerio and he beat me after 5 straight turns of stunning me with his blue dude and pounding me with mauler while my goblins just sat there and pinged away at him doing one damage each turn. My question is when does this get fun? He killed my fist ettin, blocked my path, and then we just sat there trading attacks, rolling the same dice for the next twenty minutes until he finally won. Is this how the game plays, are all the scenerios like this, post up in a spot, then roll the dice.

Please no fan boy responses, if your the kind of dude who cannot hate a game just because you spent money on it then don't even respond. I am looking for a good dungeon crawler that I can love to play and this was not as fun as the first edition. Granted the first edition took 6 hours but it was 6 hours of fun that my group will always remember. I also have Super Dungeon Explore which I haven't played yet. If the second edition is like this the entire time I think I will just repurchase the first edition again because while I had fun playing with my son who is 13 the gameplay was like a trip to the dentists office, boring and tedious. Anyone have the same feelings as me?

I submitted a pic of the gameplay.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the rules and the monster abilities.

For instance:
Goblins can move through heroes, so you were not in fact blocked.
Group Sizes: With just two heroes you would not have both Ettins and all Goblins on the board ever.
Your goal is not to take out the heroes.
Stun only takes away one action, not the complete activation and a Monster cannot be "double" stunned.

Once you have given it a go with the actual rules of the game, your experience may be somewhat improved.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think you're looking at it too much as a dungeon crawler and not as much as a miniatures tactical game. The first mission for the Overlord isn't about defeating the heroes, it's about getting the goblins to the goal. There's a lot of strategy involved rather than straight up combating your enemies. I haven't played the first edition, but I know it's a vastly different game. The second edition might not be for you I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don vandrei
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know I know, I found the rule on the back of the card while you were posting your response. My bad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing how some minor rule oversight can dramatically change the balance (and fun) of a game. Don't feel bad, I'm always getting stuff wrong in this game.

Yes it definitely gets fun, but with the caveat of depending on what you are chasing from the game. It can get rather unbalanced in particular missions/scenarios, but overall I'm a fan.

P.S. The first scenario is pretty boring. It's more a tutorial mission than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it difficult to formulate a productive response when you seem to have your mind made up already. That being said I have played through multiple campaigns as both the OL and a hero and I've had a blast every time, some of the quests can feel like they favor one side or the other but in the grand scheme of a campaign the game has felt pretty balanced.

The most important thing is to familiarize yourself with the rules and any FAQ/errata for any given scenario you are going to play.

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the lack of Scamper explains alot of the 1st impression anger you seem to have...

Though, I would never make assumptions after playing a games "introduction", the introduction is tipped towards the heroes and is only for the purpose to learn the rules.

This game does get better and the base game has lots in it (and when you finish your 1st campaign the expansions have better campaigns. The shadow rune campaign is not as good as LoR and SoN campaigns.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
even if the goblins couldn't Scamper, the Ettin could throw a hero to make room for the goblins to run through. With a Dash card, he could set up a turn where he throws both heroes into one of the side rooms and then blocks them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
chrisdk wrote:
Your goal is not to take out the heroes.

This.

Read the rules of the encounter first. It includes victory conditions for the heroes and the Overlord. Unless the victory condition states you knockout every hero, you should adjust your strategy to match the victory conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
[q="dvandrei"]

This one I missed myself just 20 minutes ago when playing (and loosing) against my boys.
Damn...

By the way, does Splig (being a goblin, too) have this ability too? Or is he considered to be just too fat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWillibald wrote:
chrisdk wrote:
[q="dvandrei"]

This one I missed myself just 20 minutes ago when playing (and loosing) against my boys.
Damn...

By the way, does Splig (being a goblin, too) have this ability too? Or is he considered to be just too fat?

It does not read on his character card, so no. Splig does not have scamper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that the first quest is pretty tilted towards the heroes (it's almost impossible for the heroes to lose that first quest). The later quests balance swings depending on what the heroes have found in the stores, and how deep you are into the campaign. The other campaigns are a different story.

As mentioned above, D2E is not a dungeon crawler, it's more of an adventure game. The focus on encounter-objectives has shifted the game play so much that some players feel it's more of a tactical 'race' game than anything like a dungeon crawler. I was not a huge fan of D2E until the Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls came out. The alterations in that kit going to co-op, adding loot and exploration in the game has brought D2E back alive for me (I detailed my feelings here: Does Forgotten Souls (official co-op mod) save Descent 2nd Ed?). So my recommendation to D1E fans, play a bit just to get used to the rules, then get the co-op kit and enjoy the game a lot more. In other words, to answer your original question, when does Descent get fun? When you include the Game Night Kit

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
(it's almost impossible for the heroes to lose that first quest).

I've done it! Achievement unlocked?

It's actually not that hard to lose the quest in a four-player game, if you don't make the right first-round moves. If you allow the goblins to get past the center, or just have bad luck in rolling to kill them, or allow an ettin to block your way to them, you can lose real fast.

Now, losing it twice would be tougher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I said "almost". I think brand new players who don't understand fully the quest objectives could lose it. But hero players with even one game behind their belts are not going to lost this quest.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
shnar wrote:
(it's almost impossible for the heroes to lose that first quest).

I've done it! Achievement unlocked?

It's actually not that hard to lose the quest in a four-player game, if you don't make the right first-round moves. If you allow the goblins to get past the center, or just have bad luck in rolling to kill them, or allow an ettin to block your way to them, you can lose real fast.

Now, losing it twice would be tougher.

I won 1st blood as the OL, with 4 heroes and we played it wrong, since we only used 1 Ettin : D

That is what I would call an achievent unlocked ^^ (we were all noobs at the time, our 1st game) Though, as Shnar pointed out, heroes with any experience with this game should not lose it laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, are you sure you are assigning damage correctly? 5 archers and an Ettin should be able to KO a hero or two pretty easily, especially in the first quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.