Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever had any really crazy punchboard errors? Not just a counter slightly mis-cut, or a token missing, but just a complete mess.

Today we sat and learned the rules for Glass Road, Uwe's other big game of 2013. Great! Rules learned, lets play!

Turns out every single token is completely messed up - it's like they got the punchboards in the wrong order then just cut them. Unlike the normal "damn this is so annoying" reaction, I just had to laugh - if it's gonna go wrong, might as well go all out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome!

I've never seen something out of order like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
*puts up hands*

You win. Crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Razo
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It was probably one of the first games to roll off the press following the Chinese New Year... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, it have some off center boards before but never anything even close to this. That's actually kinda neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collector's item!

Do make contact to ask for replacements. They should be happy to oblige if it hasn't been completely cleared out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing. I wonder how this can happen! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Yacullo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only issue I've ever had was last year when I bought Alhambra - the large "storage" tiles, where you park the tiles you can't use yet, were all printed at 90 degrees from what they should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:

It does give us a hint that the assembly line they use apparently does the printing & punching of the 2 sheets together instead of keeping the pieces separated until collation at the end. A jam can cause a miscount which then throws the punch off from the print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
porkchop_tw wrote:

It does give us a hint that the assembly line they use apparently does the printing & punching of the 2 sheets together instead of keeping the pieces separated until collation at the end. A jam can cause a miscount which then throws the punch off from the print.

I would be surprised it's that sophisticated. A printing press used for one off jobs will print the same thing many times. A die cutter will be set up for one pattern and fed with the previously printed sheets. This is possibly an error in stacking the printed sheets. The third image (with foliage of two different widths) is simply turned the wrong way. It is a wonder to get three errors in one box, but there may be quite a few more with the same or two or one error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Broadstorm wrote:
porkchop_tw wrote:

I would be surprised it's that sophisticated. A printing press used for one off jobs will print the same thing many times. A die cutter will be set up for one pattern and fed with the previously printed sheets. This is possibly an error in stacking the printed sheets. The third image (with foliage of two different widths) is simply turned the wrong way. It is a wonder to get three errors in one box, but there may be quite a few more with the same or two or one error.

If the printed sheets are somehow loaded side by side to all be punched at the same time for collation, then it is possible that some sheets got taken out, causing the next in line to be lined up incorrectly so each went down the wrong "lane" in the puncher. I am not really familiar with exactly what this stuff looks like, but I have seen comparable errors in print jobs. I do see that the third one seems to simply be rotated which is a different issue than the first 2. I have seen that before in jobs that were printed on letterhead stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're still overthinking it. There is not some "Glass Road" game factory. They print 5,000 or 50,000 or whatever and set up for something else. Die cutters are set up with razor thin metal that frequently needs sharpening or replacing. They do not simply stamp out whatever is imagined by the game designer, and they are not kept in a library for future print runs. Printers print. Cutters cut. Collaters collate (people, by hand.) The collating may take place in a game company warehouse, after they receive a shipment of printed empty boxes, rules from another printer, boards from yet another printer, dice, miniatures, etc. from potentially all over the world. And the miss-cut sheets may have been "corrected" by the collaters trying to set things right by making sure each box had one of each proper image without knowing anything about the game or punching out the pieces.

The most likely machine the game company itself owns is the shrink wrapper. Everything else hinges on human beings doing the right thing over and over. I trust you know how dependable that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
You're still overthinking it. There is not some "Glass Road" game factory. They print 5,000 or 50,000 or whatever and set up for something else. Die cutters are set up with razor thin metal that frequently needs sharpening or replacing. They do not simply stamp out whatever is imagined by the game designer, and they are not kept in a library for future print runs. Printers print. Cutters cut. Collaters collate (people, by hand.) The collating may take place in a game company warehouse, after they receive a shipment of printed empty boxes, rules from another printer, boards from yet another printer, dice, miniatures, etc. from potentially all over the world. And the miss-cut sheets may have been "corrected" by the collaters trying to set things right by making sure each box had one of each proper image without knowing anything about the game or punching out the pieces.

The most likely machine the game company itself owns is the shrink wrapper. Everything else hinges on human beings doing the right thing over and over. I trust you know how dependable that is.

Not always...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.