Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Finca building site on the long-game side of the board which has an orthogonally adjacent rock. I'm curious if a player is allowed to start a new plantation on the rock with the use of a bridge tile.

At first I thought the answer was obviously no, since there is no road on that space. However, it seems the rules do not define the starting location based on those roads, but instead by the small road segments pictured on the Finca tiles themselves.

Rules page 4 wrote:
By starting a new region of plantations adjacent to the road leading from a Finca. (On every Finca there are 4 roads where new regions may be started.)

From this it seems clear that you are allowed to start a new plantation in that space since it's adjacent to the road leading from a Finca.

If it is allowed this may raise a small issue with the 4-colour rule which states:

Rules page 4 wrote:
Each road leading from a Finca (as well as from a building site) must have a different colored plantation.

This seems to be referring to the roads pictured on adjacent spaces not those on the Finca tiles and building site spaces. Which raises the following question. If you can start a plantation on the rock do you need to obey the 4-colour rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is no. Simply because of how the bridge tile works.

Looking at the board, I assume you mean the rock on the north side of building site G.

The bridge tiles works by either:

- placing it on top of a neutral plantation; or
- placing it on a rock to extend an existing plantation

You don't build on top of a bridge tile. Ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
The answer is no. Simply because of how the bridge tile works.

Looking at the board, I assume you mean the rock on the north side of building site G.

The bridge tiles works by either:

- placing it on top of a neutral plantation; or
- placing it on a rock to extend an existing plantation

You don't build on top of a bridge tile. Ever.

Thanks for your response, but I don't know why you think the bridge doesn't work that way.

Rules for bridge wrote:
You may build a plantation over a rock space or a neutral plantation.

There nothing here saying that I can only extend if I build on a rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I've seen this played is they place the bridge on the rock and continue on. Perhaps we may have been playing it incorrectly; as we read it as the bridge tile gets replaced back onto the board (similar to the bull tile).

I apologize for the confusion and hope that someone more knowledgable can answer your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:
The way I've seen this played is they place the bridge on the rock and continue on. Perhaps we may have been playing it incorrectly; as we read it as the bridge tile gets replaced back onto the board (similar to the bull tile).

I apologize for the confusion and hope that someone more knowledgable can answer your question.

Ah That definitely isn't the correct way to use the bridge tile. Only the Bull goes back onto the board. The bridge gets discarded to assist you in playing a plantation tile, either onto a neutral plantation tile or onto a rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the first printing is now sold out, the publisher is looking at doing a second printing and so I'm going over all the rules questions on BGG in order to improve them for the second edition.

I think I missed this when it was originally posted--sorry to be answering so late!

The idea of the Bridge Tile was that it is used for its action and not placed back on the board.

It's use is to allow you to place a plantation tile on a space that would otherwise be blocked (a neutral plantation tile or rock).

This also means that you can start a new plantation region using the bridge tile. Either:

A) by covering a neutral plantation tile next to a Finca with a different color (following the Finca's 4-different-color rule) OR

B) by covering a rock next to a Finca (following the Finca's 4-different-color rule)

As I said, we'll try to make all of this clearer in the new edition. Thanks for you patience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jeffinberlin wrote:
As the first printing is now sold out, the publisher is looking at doing a second printing and so I'm going over all the rules questions on BGG in order to improve them for the second edition.

I think I missed this when it was originally posted--sorry to be answering so late!

The idea of the Bridge Tile was that it is used for its action and not placed back on the board.

It's use is to allow you to place a plantation tile on a space that would otherwise be blocked (a neutral plantation tile or rock).

This also means that you can start a new plantation region using the bridge tile. Either:

A) by covering a neutral plantation tile next to a Finca with a different color (following the Finca's 4-different-color rule) OR

B) by covering a rock next to a Finca (following the Finca's 4-different-color rule)

As I said, we'll try to make all of this clearer in the new edition. Thanks for you patience!

Can we build by covering a neutral plantation tile next to a Finca with the "same" color?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
jeffinberlin wrote:

Can we build by covering a neutral plantation tile next to a Finca with the "same" color?

Thanks for you interest!

Yes, as long as it is not part of a larger region of the same color.

The main point is that you cannot use the Bridge Tile to take over a region of 2 or more neutral (already scored) plantations.
It is meant to give you flexibility in starting or expanding your own plantation regions where you normally be hindered (by stones or previously-placed plantations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.