6 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Insights from Zac Hill rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ynot
msg tools
An mtg developer wrote

"Furthermore, even if you're not as interested in cutthroat competition, you should still be able to do something you think is cool and have an interesting narrative pan out. When a certain deck is too powerful, or when certain unhealthy strategies become dominant, it threatens players' abilities to do the types of things that make Magic fun. Why go out and create your own deck when it doesn't stand a chance against the elephant in the room? What's the point of selecting between thousands of cool, unique cards when none of them really matter?"

"All of these decks share a common root: they eliminate the dynamism and excitement that comes with constructive interaction between cards, largely because their goal is to ignore as much of the rules text on the opponent's cards as possible."

Full article: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/dai...

What sort of things in ANR try to ignore the text on the opponent's cards? The point is not that these strategies should not exist at all, but it's better if they are not the most powerful strategies in the game.

If you rez a powerful ice, I see that it will be difficult to fight so I Femme it, that's an interesting narrative.
If I credit drain you so you can't rez your ice in the first place, that is less interesting.

If you don't have enough ice to keep me out of your remotes, so you try to trick me into wasting credits by installing ambushes, that's more interesting than if you score your agendas from hand and never give me a chance to run at anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackguard doesn't really ignore Corp card text, but it removes one of the most fundamental elements of skillful Corp play. I am glad that it is not very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Activist Support/Blackguard decks, but I think their brief window of viability closed with Honor & Profit. Jinteki traps and general nastiness mean that ice is not all you have to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluff Da Sheep
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lttlefoot wrote:
What sort of things in ANR try to ignore the text on the opponent's cards?

Blackmail: all ICE is meaningless.
Caprice Nisei: has no effective counters (no, not the gun either) and potentially blanks powerful run events. Just have to be lucky. Or actually psychic.
Whizzard: trash cost defense is greatly reduced.

Out of these three, the only card I really wish did not exist is Blackmail, because the Blackmail deck is just about the worst, most groan-inducing ANR thing to exist ever. It's like a sinkhole of fun.

Siphon is annoying, and it definitely constricts the design space of corp decks, but it isn't non-interactive. I'd say it's a necessary evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grimwalker wrote:
Activist Support/Blackmail decks,

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffdasheep wrote:
Lttlefoot wrote:
What sort of things in ANR try to ignore the text on the opponent's cards?

Blackmail: all ICE is meaningless.
Caprice Nisei: has no effective counters (no, not the gun either) and potentially blanks powerful run events. Just have to be lucky. Or actually psychic.
Whizzard: trash cost defense is greatly reduced.

Out of these three, the only card I really wish did not exist is Blackmail, because the Blackmail deck is just about the worst, most groan-inducing ANR thing to exist ever.

I played recently several Whizzard-Blackmail decks. This was annoying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.