Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Wow, what a game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my FIRST solo conquest game (123 points final tally.) Ended up taking me the whole week. I was still looking up rules while playing, so ended up playing about a round a night (I didn't spend the WHOLE night playing, just an hour or two.)

The game's great! I never felt like it was so impossible, I was never going to win (or at least come close.) Some games amp up the difficulty so far that it feels practically impossible to beat. I never felt like it was totally unbeatable. Very balanced. But man was it nail biting! I know I screwed up a few rules, and even ended up making it harder for myself. (I hadn't read that you revealed the city tokens while adjacent, so I BLIND assaulted all my cities. And I actually might even play it that way. I may not have ever attacked them, had I seen what was inside beforehand. And I got the Tremor/Earthquake spell early one, so THAT helped a BUNCH!)

Great job to making such a great game! Thanks for everyone's help with some of the rules. I'm sure I'll post some more questions.
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, after languishing on my shelf for months MK has finally seen daylight and it is a fine game. I only regret that I'm such a slow thinker - means I'll have to set aside lots of time to play (I have cats; no leaving it out.)

You did better than I did - my first try was only 101 :(

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i m just finishing my 2nd solo game, the blitz conquest, it took me around 6 hours, 1 hours per day with babies crying, wife screaming, telephones ringing etc. i had a blast when i conquered the blue city lvl 3, i was thinking my attack move around half an hour, but boy it was worth it! great solitaire experience...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since getting Mage Knight, I can't bring myself to play anything else. It's the real deal.

Did my first solo conquest last night in 3hrs and 15min with setup and tear down. I use 1 big draw bag for tokens. Speeds up things immensely. Final score, 62 points and zero conquered cities. First 6 tiles had no villages, got my butt handed to me but loved every second of it!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I went out and bought little mini bags for all the tokens. Easier to mix up and pull from, IMO.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the club.

I find myself disappointed in a lot of other games because they don't measure up.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, just wait for it : ) the game will be even more awesome when you start scoring over +200 ^^:
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Since getting Mage Knight, I can't bring myself to play anything else. It's the real deal.

Did my first solo conquest last night in 3hrs and 15min with setup and tear down. I use 1 big draw bag for tokens. Speeds up things immensely. Final score, 62 points and zero conquered cities. First 6 tiles had no villages, got my butt handed to me but loved every second of it!


How much do you use units? You can of course play with many different styles, but one of my favorites is playing Norowas and maxing the units. This means, you need to quickly explore the 1st core city tile, to get gold units to the unit offer (usually 1st night phase is optimal, but round 3 is good aswell).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterchief1 wrote:
How much do you use units? You can of course play with many different styles, but one of my favorites is playing Norowas and maxing the units. This means, you need to quickly explore the 1st core city tile, to get gold units to the unit offer (usually 1st night phase is optimal, but round 3 is good aswell).

Wow that is really fast. How do you get the first core tile discovered in round 2. Aren't you fighting any enemies? (I usually aim for level 4 at end of round 2 - although that is not easy to get.) I consider myself fast if I have the first coretile discovered by end of round 3. How often can you really afford Level III or IV units in round 3? Isn't it more a hinderence than an advantage to have highlevel units out that early? (They are quite expensive and some of them are available only in cities or in cities + 1 other location.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get more games in (to test everything) rather than investing so much time in each game you can scale the Blitz Conquest Scenario for 1P. I like this format because I can easily play it in one sitting, in fact I typically finish it off by the end of the second day or beginning of the second night. I recommend not playing Norowas for 1P Blitz because there is so much potential screwage in the limited Unit offering and random recruitment destinations. The bird who controls the suit of armor is a reliable MK for 1P Blitz Conquest but my personal favorite is playing the Dragon with a book!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterchief1 wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Since getting Mage Knight, I can't bring myself to play anything else. It's the real deal.

Did my first solo conquest last night in 3hrs and 15min with setup and tear down. I use 1 big draw bag for tokens. Speeds up things immensely. Final score, 62 points and zero conquered cities. First 6 tiles had no villages, got my butt handed to me but loved every second of it!


How much do you use units? You can of course play with many different styles, but one of my favorites is playing Norowas and maxing the units. This means, you need to quickly explore the 1st core city tile, to get gold units to the unit offer (usually 1st night phase is optimal, but round 3 is good aswell).


I've only played 5 games total so far and 4 of those were first reconnaissance. In my limited games I've always tried to get units as quickly as possible. I have both expansions and play with the updated rules so it's a bit tougher on me from the get go. I tried Krang on my first solo conquest and didn't get a unit until the second day due to no villages, a bunch of keeps and towers and no way for me to make a run at them. It was a brutal game but I learned a lot in that loss. And I realized I had no clue how to effectively use Krang!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
If you want to get more games in (to test everything) rather than investing so much time in each game you can scale the Blitz Conquest Scenario for 1P. I like this format because I can easily play it in one sitting, in fact I typically finish it off by the end of the second day or beginning of the second night. I recommend not playing Norowas for 1P Blitz because there is so much potential screwage in the limited Unit offering and random recruitment destinations. The bird who controls the suit of armor is a reliable MK for 1P Blitz Conquest but my personal favorite is playing the Dragon with a book!


Okay, I'll try that. I have no idea who the characters are, nor how they are supposed to be different from each other. And taking a week to play an entire game probably isn't going to give me that outlook anytime too. But, I WAS looking up a lot of rules, and am still unfamiliar with how things are supposed to roll, so I'm only going to get faster the more I play. It took me forever to set up/play Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game when I bought it, but now I can play it in my sleep. Almost.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
Masterchief1 wrote:
How much do you use units? You can of course play with many different styles, but one of my favorites is playing Norowas and maxing the units. This means, you need to quickly explore the 1st core city tile, to get gold units to the unit offer (usually 1st night phase is optimal, but round 3 is good aswell).

Wow that is really fast. How do you get the first core tile discovered in round 2. Aren't you fighting any enemies? (I usually aim for level 4 at end of round 2 - although that is not easy to get.) I consider myself fast if I have the first coretile discovered by end of round 3. How often can you really afford Level III or IV units in round 3? Isn't it more a hinderence than an advantage to have highlevel units out that early? (They are quite expensive and some of them are available only in cities or in cities + 1 other location.)


I usually fight an enemy or 2 on the 1st round but keep moving all the time. When I level up, I pick those advanced actions with movement benefits (terrain costs lowering cards) and influence cards to buy units. Then I´ll probably end my turn in a village or monastery to buy a unit. The key is to get your reputation high, since it will make buying units easier in the future. Though all the time you must keep moving. It is best to move through the intersection line of the tiles, so I usually end up exploring more of a one side in a straight line, being in between of 2 tiles all the time.

Gold units are great if you can get them to the offer in the beginning of round 3 since you can buy Catapults for example from the keeps. I usually try to get 1-2 catapults (depends on the offer ofc) to win me the 1st city. The level 5 city will provide you so much exp. if you manage to take it round 3 (usually round 4). So you will be climbing the levels quickly. Then its Altem mage time etc.

I also tend to pick movement spells to establish a good movement base, the attack cards can be taken inbetween. Remember that those influence cards + reputation come in handy to also buy spells and advanced actions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a solo conquest with Norowas, using the tactic I talked about above.

Final Score 234, My personal record thus far cool
This game truly is awesome!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterchief1 wrote:
I just finished a solo conquest with Norowas, using the tactic I talked about above.

Final Score 234, My personal record thus far cool
This game truly is awesome!!!


Wow!

Well, I had been exploring the tiles along the coast line and then moved inland. I had missed a tile on the OTHER coast, which ended up being the second city. So I had something like 2 1/2 tiles between each city. Not the best use of my exploration. Plus, I decided to assault the level 8 city first, blindly.

I'm definitely gonna try this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
Masterchief1 wrote:
I just finished a solo conquest with Norowas, using the tactic I talked about above.

Final Score 234, My personal record thus far cool
This game truly is awesome!!!


Wow!

Well, I had been exploring the tiles along the coast line and then moved inland. I had missed a tile on the OTHER coast, which ended up being the second city. So I had something like 2 1/2 tiles between each city. Not the best use of my exploration. Plus, I decided to assault the level 8 city first, blindly.

I'm definitely gonna try this.


Good luck and Have fun!! Remember that you never assault cities blindly, since the enemies inside are revealed when adjacent to it, even in Night times. Check the city description card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
.I had missed a tile on the OTHER coast, which ended up being the second city.

This is a regular solo conquest, right? First, how can a core tile be on the coast (no core tiles allowed there in a wedge map)? Second, how can a tile be unexplored? You don't set up the entire map first, right? It's possible no tile ends up on certain areas because you only reveal as you go along.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:
Lhowser wrote:
.I had missed a tile on the OTHER coast, which ended up being the second city.

This is a regular solo conquest, right? First, how can a core tile be on the coast (no core tiles allowed there in a wedge map)?


I see that now. I was looking under the "movement" rules and thought the only limitation to Core Tiles was that they needed to be adjacent to TWO tiles. I got to that empty space in the map and didn't have any more Countryside tiles. (I should have just used an extra one from the box.)

Quote:
Second, how can a tile be unexplored? You don't set up the entire map first, right? It's possible no tile ends up on certain areas because you only reveal as you go along.


I didn't mean unexplored in the sense of "not turned over" - I meant placement. I'm not SUPPOSED to lay out all the tiles ahead of time, am I? I've seen some pictures of people doing this.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterchief1 wrote:
Remember that you never assault cities blindly, since the enemies inside are revealed when adjacent to it, even in Night times. Check the city description card.


Yeah, it was Night, so I was confused. My torch had blown out and my matches were wet and I was stumbling around in the dark. Stupid night.

(I was treating them like the other fortified sites. But like I said, I may not have ever gotten the courage to assault them otherwise, seeing what was waiting for me. It was my first city.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron D
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot less experienced here - just played my first game last night (first recon) and didn't even finish (have the 3 brown tiles left, so almost there). However, I haven't stopped thinking about it since I stopped playing. If I am thinking about it this much now, I can't imagine what it will be like when I play the full game...
3 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
I got to that empty space in the map and didn't have any more Countryside tiles. (I should have just used an extra one from the box.)

If you still have unused core tiles, you cannot go to the box and grab extra countryside tiles. When you completely run out of tiles, then you can grab the extra tiles, but only if it will be adjacent to three tiles.

Lhowser wrote:
I didn't mean unexplored in the sense of "not turned over" - I meant placement. I'm not SUPPOSED to lay out all the tiles ahead of time, am I? I've seen some pictures of people doing this.

Right, you don't lay out all the tiles ahead on a standard conquest. There are some scenarios where you do lay them all out. I just got confused when you said you missed a tile on the other coast.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aliallison wrote:

I just got confused when you said you missed a tile on the other coast.


It would have technically been the third tile at the bottom of row three (starting with the Portal, then next row as tiles 1 & 2.) I just continued moving on up the coast, exploring two at a time, and didn't get the other coastline in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
airdog4evr wrote:
A lot less experienced here - just played my first game last night (first recon) and didn't even finish (have the 3 brown tiles left, so almost there). However, I haven't stopped thinking about it since I stopped playing. If I am thinking about it this much now, I can't imagine what it will be like when I play the full game...


Welcome to the rabbit hole.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian d
United States
California
flag msg tools
kerskine wrote:
Welcome to the club.

I find myself disappointed in a lot of other games because they don't measure up.


Me too. MK killed pathfinder card game for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaakov Simon
Israel
Bet Shemesh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dubcee wrote:
kerskine wrote:
Welcome to the club.

I find myself disappointed in a lot of other games because they don't measure up.


Me too. MK killed pathfinder card game for me.


I got PF (Pathfinder) after playing MK over 20 times. I like PF because I can play and clean up a solo game in about 60 minutes. Hard for me to MK in under 2 1/2 hours - partly because I don't like the blitz scenarios.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.